SNOW MAP CONTEST! [2012 - November]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
GaM3r2Xtreme
Novice

Re: SNOW MAP CONTEST! [2012 - November]

Post by GaM3r2Xtreme »

For a small DM map, I would think 1 MB would be enough for a simple layout to fit at least 4 to 6 players on. I think I might have a good idea for a map already too. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You forgot the additional textures... it's not stock-textures map contest ...it is snow map contest.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Poorly conceived contest.
Arbitrary size limit is ridiculous. Just make the contest for Low Poly maps only.
No judging? No prize? I'm willing to put up a prize if we receive enough quality entries.
I''d move the package release closer to Christmas.
Contest maps need a prefix (i.e. FoT or LP) to distinguish them as a pack.

If we can use whatever textures we please (still making the map winter/holiday themed) and if the size limit is done away with, I'm in.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Look he set the criteria, and that is it.

I am also in agreement ONE PERSON get ALL the maps and THEN release the lot of maps at once.
but i never made a snow map (I hate winter) and I still want a SP or MH style.I think I am through with DM.
My ultimate map for DM I made was DM-Trenchdog, it is a hard playing map you can get cut down in any angle and it makes you tired trying to win.

anyway i won't be joining this one, but the pack should have a release date, not this mommy see my map that is so cool thread, before the dang contest is over.

And a 1meg map limit is not poorly conceived, only because you guys can't friggin play without low grav, sniper, bathroom maps.That ruined everything, and Zark.

Almost every friggin server ended up as, low grav BS sniper maps and that blasted translocater.(the pussy gamers LoL.)

Face your foe with a Flak, not that pussy far off sheet. :loool: :lol2:
Binary Space Partitioning
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I don't see a big problem in the restrictions. Most people would build a DM map, anyway, in that short time of a month you can't build huge maps. Besides, at least 8 stock UT meet the requirement of less than 1 MB :mrgreen: So that is doable. Having a winter theme makes mapping a little difficult, aslye's given tex pack should help us out in that concern. However, I wouldn't restrict to only using that pack.
Releasing the maps as a whole is normally done after the judgement. The underused upload function of ut99.org could be revived a little by making the mappers upload their work individually here. If you want to have it more organized, create a thread only for that pupose: Only posts that contain an attachment (=map) may be written or else they will be deleted.

But what I miss is the incentive: There are no prizes, the initiating post is poorly designed, the leader doesn't build a map by himself (as it seems). Although aslye's intentions are highly laudable, the contest lacks the right atmosphere as of now.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I`ll follow this spectacle. But I wouldn`t be surprised if it already ends before it actually begins. Learning and failing by doing! :mrgreen:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

editor Dave wrote:I don't see a big problem in the restrictions. Most people would build a DM map, anyway, in that short time of a month you can't build huge maps. Besides, at least 8 stock UT meet the requirement of less than 1 MB :mrgreen: So that is doable. Having a winter theme makes mapping a little difficult, aslye's given tex pack should help us out in that concern. However, I wouldn't restrict to only using that pack.
Releasing the maps as a whole is normally done after the judgement. The underused upload function of ut99.org could be revived a little by making the mappers upload their work individually here. If you want to have it more organized, create a thread only for that pupose: Only posts that contain an attachment (=map) may be written or else they will be deleted.

But what I miss is the incentive: There are no prizes, the initiating post is poorly designed, the leader doesn't build a map by himself (as it seems). Although aslye's intentions are highly laudable, the contest lacks the right atmosphere as of now.
The filesize restriction is pointless. The size or the complexity of any given map has not too much to do with its data size.
Speaking of winther theme: including a few snowy texture and some custon stuff like icicle an a xmas tree, and you already have more than one MB of databefore a single brush were ever subtracted...
Renegade
Adept

Post by Renegade »

Revise the contest to feature LOW POLY maps and do away with the 1mb limit, and I'll put forth a prize.
Game of choice on Steam. ($25 or less) To be gifted on Christmas.
I reserve the right to withhold the prize if less than 5 maps are submitted :P
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Renegade wrote:Revise the contest to feature LOW POLY maps and do away with the 1mb limit, and I'll put forth a prize.
Game of choice on Steam. ($25 or less) To be gifted on Christmas.
I reserve the right to withhold the prize if less than 5 maps are submitted :P
Make sure to allow own content! :tongue:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

maybe I'm a sloppy or unrefined mapper, but most of my maps are closer to 10 megs...
But I'll try and make it work anyway....
when the build pack gets released...I'm in.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

I dont want to mess up your ideas, but If the theme was free , not just snow or christmas, and it was a low poly mappack, I would join.
als you should make a list in your first post with everybody who is in
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Rakiayn wrote:I dont want to mess up your ideas, but If the theme was free , not just snow or christmas, and it was a low poly mappack, I would join.
als you should make a list in your first post with everybody who is in
The thing is surely already abandoned ... too many questions did not get answered (in time). This is not how it is working! :thudown:
About to be non-active
Renegade
Adept

Post by Renegade »

If ASL doesn't want to revise this thing, I'll start a new contest thread and put forth details and prizes and the rest.
Let me know. So far, I've only read 3 posts that confirmed willingness to participate. If I add myself, that makes 4.

Rakiayn, it'd be awesome to get another map from you. FragnBrag, Genmocave, Crev, are you up for it? I'd make it LowPoly and open theme, though winter maps are encouraged :tu:
Any other established mappers still kicking?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Maybe I am in ...and I have an Idea for a silly map.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

papercoffee wrote:Maybe I am in ...and I have an Idea for a silly map.
Does it deal with... food? :ironic:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.