MH-KillThemAll[EG] - Too reflective

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: MH-KillThemAll[EG] - Too reflective

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:I played it online, there were other players, but it didn't seem all that impossible. I think I did play this by myself at one time.
For sure you did not read this topic.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Thought it was just a texture change. and some new paths,,,,,, :rock:
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:Thought it was just a texture change. and some new paths,,,,,, :rock:
Well, yes.... but there's also 2 Nyan Cat Deemers and different monsters in each room, said monsters not being the ones that were originally on the map.

I posted pics of some of them on the 1st page.

Weapons Packs
Ran the gauntlet, here's the results:
· Infiltration didn't work. For some reason it reacted badly with the Nyan Cat Deemers.
· Quake Weapons were okay, but they both killed monsters easier and slowed down the game.
· CounterStrike got through the map faster with them... but I had to sleep.
· Nali Weapons 3 got all the way through the map VERY fast... but again, sleep.

For some weird reason Infiltration kept regenerating those boxes that block the doorways. After I destroyed them, they'd be right back up after 20 seconds.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Didn't get much done this weekend but I finalized textures for the rooms, though I left the starting room alone. Got distracted by my mom's cooking (she does magic in the kitchen) which is probably what stop much work on games from ever being completed.
wee little update
Basically I just caved and finally decided to replace the awful textures on the map with mostly ridiculous ones:

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OK the happy alien smiley room is the worst. Just looking at it gives me seizures. I won't imagine how it affects me when I'm in motion.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:OK the happy alien smiley room is the worst. Just looking at it gives me seizures. I won't imagine how it affects me when I'm in motion.
Given these are in that room... maybe trying not to get killed by them will distract you.

Image Image Image
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Map is almost done (in that way of working too many thing at once takes time) just finalizing some details, and maybe a couple monster swaps.

Small problem: It takes a long time to test the map, let the bots have a go. Set the map up with 16 bots, no special weapons, and then I went to go see Star Wars.

8 hours later I come home, bots are still fighting against the map, and then it crashed.

Here's the .log and error message... what happened?
Attachments
UTlog.zip
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Clip0000.jpg
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Here's the .log and error message... what happened?
Not sure but it looks like you had the game minimised and it crashed when restored to FullScreen - due to ammount of gore and the old renderer? (Of course, it may have just got tired after 8 hours :P - However, seems that not much happened in the 8 hours you were away, judging by the log entries in that period.)

Just to note - early on the log reports that a load of stuff plus a bot ("Log: GuardianBot0 fell out of the world!") fell out of the world - possibily a BSP error somewhere?

Perhaps more knowledgeable people will be able to comment on the importance or otherwise of the log errors for the HellDemons and the Boss (and its weapon).

PS
If you want to test the map quickly, why not use MHMapAdjuster to limit the number of monsters that are spawned? Plus using Higor's MiniLauncher will reduce the size of the log considerably by removing multiple, duplicated entries.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

There's no BSP that I'm aware of, but I'll look into it.

Yeah, it was minimized when I got home, which was weird... I couldn't figure out what caused that.

Boss monster has a customized weapon, which is powerful and weird - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4177&p=56091&hilit=boss#p56091

Usually when I put that Xan on a map it's only 1 or 2 of them. They're hard to fight and they use bot-pathing to reverse-track down where players are.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Decals and dynamic lights are generally the culprits for that kind of crash.
Essentially it goes down when there are a lot of decals being rendered, or if there are too many dynamic bright lights being rendered as well (from weapons or other sources).
If you have reflective surfaces on top of that, what the engine has to render is multiplied, since it has to render things twice from 2 or more different perspectives afaik.

Still, if it only happened after 8 hours, not sure if you should worry that much. If you have a game running for that long in a single map where bots and whatever are gibbing a lot (decals) and do a lot of spam (resulting in a lot of dynamic lights), this will always happen eventually.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Yeah, it was minimized when I got home, which was weird... I couldn't figure out what caused that.
Like I say, I'm not sure that the game ran for the 8 hours - the bots were still fighting the Brass, which is a bit unlikely - one would think 16 bots would finish them off in that time?
EvilGrins wrote: They're hard to fight and they use bot-pathing to reverse-track down where players are.
They have very high ReducedDamage (0.9200) for one thing, also I think (but may be wrong) that they have a lot of bot code.

I played the version you have for download and noticed that the Predators are Players (with no skins) - perhaps you've already fixed this?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: Yeah, it was minimized when I got home, which was weird... I couldn't figure out what caused that.
Like I say, I'm not sure that the game ran for the 8 hours - the bots were still fighting the Brass, which is a bit unlikely - one would think 16 bots would finish them off in that time?
Brass monster is about 8 rooms in, prior to that are Ice Skaarj Hunters and Helldemons, both of which take a REALLY long time. Plus there's an OMG just before the Ice Skaarj Hunters.

On average it usually takes about 2 hours just to get to the Ice Skaarj Hunters.

I replaced the predators, although it depends on which you mean. There's those 2-legged lizards which cause a file conflict if you've got the predator.u for the predator player model (if you've got the player model it will play but cause issues such as invisibility plus the wrong spawned thing) and the predators from the MHpredator.u which are like the movie version.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:I replaced the predators, although it depends on which you mean.
I meant the MHPredators.

As regards the time it took, I'd assumed you had minimised it when you went out and that the bots were fighting the Brass for 8 hours, but obviously not.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

still waiting for evilgrins to comment on Garniatown, I mainly re-did the thing because of HIS POST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:still waiting for evilgrins to comment on Garniatown, I mainly re-did the thing because of HIS POST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
You are so needy!

I haven't tried it yet, been too busy with holidays and family and whatnot.
OjitroC wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:I replaced the predators, although it depends on which you mean.
I meant the MHPredators. As regards the time it took, I'd assumed you had minimised it when you went out and that the bots were fighting the Brass for 8 hours, but obviously not.
Well, they do have a skin but they have a cloaking field which turns them invisible.

Found out the minimize was caused by Anti-Malware-Bytes prompting for an update. I need to turn that thing fully off when I'm playing UT because it doesn't seem to have an auto update setting.