So what contest SHOULD it be?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

What mapping contest do you want?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 am

Maps for a special gametype?
29%
Maps with limited filesize?
6%
Maps with limited number of polys/nodes?
10%
A ''re-themed EPIC maps'' contest?
23%
XMAS contest?
29%
Something else? (write extra ideas in this thread)
3%

Total votes: 31

UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

So what contest SHOULD it be?

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:pfff: I got tired of all those arguments and all I want is to have a friendly contest. I don't care about the rules, I just want to map. But it seems most have different opinions so I'm making this pole for 1 week only. Choose what kind do you want and by then we fight :mrgreen: .
For the record, if you want that wreckage contest, choose ''rethemed epic's maps''.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: So what contest SHOULD it be?

Post by Metalfist »

Idk if it has been done before, but a MH mapping contest (without any limits)? Could be interesting imo.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Metalfist wrote:Idk if it has been done before, but a MH mapping contest (without any limits)? Could be interesting imo.
+1
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Metalfist wrote:Idk if it has been done before, but a MH mapping contest (without any limits)? Could be interesting imo.
Well yearh, but as a matter of principle I don`t participate in mapping CONTESTS.

edit:
Same goes for lottery or any kind of gambling with an entry of money, or consumption of alcohol, smoking of cigarettes: Just a no-go for me. I just don`t need it.
Last edited by Creavion on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

why not?
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

While picking a theme allows for some different and creative entries, I think an open theme would generate the most entries.
That said, I think a Toy theme (pick a favorite toy from your childhood and incorporate it somehow in your map) would be a lot of fun.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Renegade wrote:(pick a favorite toy from your childhood and incorporate it somehow in your map)
Or pick your favorite food... :mrgreen:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Rakiayn wrote:why not?
See my previous post.

Why not a simple mappack? Does it really have to a stupid contest?
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Well... you can make a contest into a mappack... every submits, people gives there opinions, and you can still release it as a mappack with a winner
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Don't see it as contest ...it's more a map-pack with rules and restrictions ...and at the end will there be someone who will be praised as the best of the bunch. nothing more ;)

EDIT--------------------------------------------
GenMoKai wrote:Well... you can make a contest into a mappack... every submits, people gives there opinions, and you can still release it as a mappack with a winner
WTF???!?! ....did you read my mind ...this is spooky.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

yes , I see it as just a contest anyway. and if you are lucky you can win some small thing , but that is not what it is all about.
I have participated in map contests before, and i didnt win, but that was never my goal. I just wanted to contribute to the mappack
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Creavion wrote: Why not a simple mappack? Does it really have to a stupid contest?
Why not both? After the contest, I'd turn it into a mappack if that would be ok for those who participated (same way as blito3's 300k contests turn into mappacks *wandering why the 2011 300k maps weren't turned*)
Thanks to those who voted so far :P
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I totally understand the point of this, as the old-skool demo scene works this way.
You do not win anything. It is just so a variety of product is made within the same limitations.
It makes it easy for comparison.
It does nothing more than encourage productivity and experimentation.

If it was done "demo style" then the limits would be presented as a size limit. This would translate as;
No more than x polygons, units, or MB.
The whole idea is to impose strict limitations, so people have something to challenge them.

Currently though I would suggest maps with NW3 in mind, so I would lean towards a few simple big out-door maps.
Maybe use a deco-pack as a requirement (William Sherriff's packs contain destroyable items).
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

All people with experience about a 3d modelling software have an obvious advantage if it comes to terrains and caves: It can be done quicker with a lot more control (like with polygons) over the whole thing. The UED mappers will continue struggling with terrain and cave design. It is just not within its nature. The ued was never really meant for designing of caves and terrains (no matter what kind of brush builder you take). Even in unreal`s outdoor maps it was already a job for 3rd party software like Max or Maya.

Contests are simply useless to me (at least among people I know too well).
Some people have more free time (school), while others have to work all the day. Some people might have a bigger transparency about the available content within the unreal series. And if you "remember" about a certain single player contest some years ago, the whole thing was not really fair anyway. I did not want to mention it. Well I just think: We don`t need this! No matter how the whole thing would be turned, I am not interested in something like that. Low poly sucks, file restriction sucks as well. If you guys do manage to do it, well, if something would finally happen! Christmas will come soon! Very soon!
About to be non-active
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

If there's any contest, it would be seeing who can agree with one another first :ironic2:

Because no one here seems to care about a prize or a theme, let's just make another collab map, then. We can do this rather quickly and it provides a sufficient challenge.
I think there's more motivation with a collaborative project.

Let's see if we can get something going before the world ends on Dec. 21.