So what contest SHOULD it be?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

What mapping contest do you want?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 am

Maps for a special gametype?
29%
Maps with limited filesize?
6%
Maps with limited number of polys/nodes?
10%
A ''re-themed EPIC maps'' contest?
23%
XMAS contest?
29%
Something else? (write extra ideas in this thread)
3%

Total votes: 31

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: So what contest SHOULD it be?

Post by Creavion »

MEAT wrote:WTF did Creavion just say?
First of all, chill out. You don`t need to feel pissed. It was not directed to you in person! Your post was simply a perfect opportunity to make a clean sweep.
In case you still do: Read the post again: I said "us" (meaning not anybody in person) and of course
This is not directed to you in person now as you might have already figured, but your post was the reason for my one here.
Second: For people with some few understanding problems. Support the work with feedback, comments or a few words of thanks a little bit more!
For instance: http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4216 (a perfect sad example at least IMHO, most likely he is cool with it, at least I am rather dissapointed, he does not deserve that, NOT AT ALL).
FragnBrag`s thread got feedback/comments/"thank-yous" by 4 persons in total. And what is that supposed to mean? 4 people cared for his release? Seriously? 4 people?
With mediafire he can not even see how many people downloaded his work. The view count of his thread also does not tell him anything: It also can mean, users came, were disappointed and left immediately.
If you guys say stuff like "I am glad about every new map release", then it would be a very good idea to let the modders FEEL that. Otherwise nobody needs to wonder if UT is very soon a dead game. This is what I meant: Some people should feel it the hard way, before they would finally understand it. Once again, before anybody feels annoyed: I am not telling this to anybody in person, but rather to anybody who somehow already has pangs of remorse. Not everybody is cool enough to ignore missing interest. Some people will act on the Q.T. without anybody letting know.

Thanks to TARZANFROMJUNGLE. Yes, at least somebody understood me. I have no idea if my english really sucks balls or other peoples one. There are always these comprehension problems.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

Creavion wrote:
MEAT wrote:WTF did Creavion just say?
First of all, chill out. You don`t need to feel pissed. It was not directed to you in person! Your post was simply a perfect opportunity to make a clean sweep.
In case you still do: Read the post again: I said "us" (meaning not anybody in person) and of course
This is not directed to you in person now as you might have already figured, but your post was the reason for my one here.
Not pissed...my WTF was in jest.
I understood the gist of what you said and meant.
Just trying to be humorous and I failed... :oops:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Crev
I can reassure you, your English is pretty well understandable... same for your intent.

For me a map has two purposes to be used as a playing ground and to look decent ...
I didn't gave feedback on FnB's Map was simply because ...didn't played UT for almost 4 month because of the lack of time.
I have much to catch up now ...And I was finally occupied with testing stuff (nothing important)
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Like I said: It is not my intention to force anybody to do so. But I really think most just take everything without thinking. Same with credits BTW. If you have not played his map, well then you would not write a comment of course. Certain things however will never change, unfortunately.
@MEAT: *caught* *caught* I really dont know if I should facepalm about that, I really dont know. At the end I was really serious. :ironic2:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
bitbasher
Novice

Post by bitbasher »

... thread got feedback/comments/"thank-yous" by 4 persons in total. And what is that supposed to mean? 4 people cared for his release? Seriously? 4 people?
With mediafire he can not even see how many people downloaded his work. The view count of his thread also does not tell him anything: It also can mean, users came, were disappointed and left immediately.

some things you need to understand.feedback cant be everything.
not every person that plays ut visits this site, one person might visit this site see and downlaod the map, Put it on there server and another player sees it there , enjoys it rips it from cache and puts it on there server or even reuploads it to another site that your not tracking or visiting , where noo one would ever know, and then others find it there not here.

i have worked on many things over the years for unreal1 and even a few for ut. i have a place i uplaod it , i can track stats/ downlaods etc , but it usally hit or miss, even if you set up a blog , site etc , that allows effortless feedback ,( no logins etc) people dont bother to go tho the trouble.

I have made some usefully and interesting things over the years, and usally i never get feedback, I discover there popular when I visit other servers and find my work in use on them, I Just recently found a old mod of mine from 2009 in use on one of the top 3 unrealgold coop severs. never once did anyone even give it a thumbs up or drop a comment. my name was in the mod script with a contact, they couldnt be bothered to metion they appeciaded it.

my point . You cant rely to much on feedback. you have to think diffently ,I make stuff becuase i enjoy making things , not for other people, if other enjoy it thats a huge bonus, but i dont let the lack of feedback bring me down.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

bitbasher wrote:
...You cant rely to much on feedback. you have to think diffently ,I make stuff becuase i enjoy making things , not for other people, if other enjoy it thats a huge bonus, but i dont let the lack of feedback bring me down....
... :tu: unrealgold co-op? wow. I only ever tried co-op on a LAN years ago, i remember it being a bit glitchy, lol.

... do you think online MH has replaced that kind of game, similar but maybe more intense gameplay?

a general question: if a bunch of MH maps were made in the next month or two, do you think they'd get played, appreciated?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I admit I can accept your opinon. It is well phrased without any (visible) arrogant impressions. Somehow enjoyable, considering how most of other people deal with that. However:

I was primary talking about the users who are registered on this site. I am sure a map is supposed to get feeback or comments by more than just 4 people, considering the amount of people who are more or less active here.
I dare say it's only a matter of comfort, that people dont want to do it. You`ll belong to the ones who are cool about it. But not everybody is: I know even people who can be really pissed if they find their work as unchanged archive somewhere else on the internet without getting told in advance. Yes, even if the release archive was not touched at all, completly unchanged. Maybe it is debatable, if this is right or not. Hard to say, specially if I consider stuff can vanish from the internet very quick.
Most likely it was mistake again. A mistake to try to tell people about the situation. Good thing I dont have to care about that anymore. I already draw the consequences the last time several weeks ago. Of course it is not because of you now, in fact it has not anything to do with you at all.

@FragnBrag: MH is somehow awesome. However since it is single player like gameplay can be completly killed, if people want to replace the automag at the beginning with a nali weapon 3 power nuke something. And the only thing you can do about that: Place a sign at the beginning of your map - as texture - about the intended map configuration. You know the gameplay you would suggest and support and nothing else can make progressing through the map impossible.
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ....then maybe we should go back to topic.
  • ~Maps for a special gametype?
    ~A ''re-themed EPIC maps'' contest?
    ~XMAS contest?
Those are for now the leading votes ...This kind of map can be done but also it can be difficult to realize.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Not sure, however voted Xmas-Themed. Dunno if I would have time to finish it it up though, if they may ever start.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

papercoffee wrote:
  • ~Maps for a special gametype?
    ~A ''re-themed EPIC maps'' contest?
    ~XMAS contest?
Those are for now the leading votes ...This kind of map can be done but also it can be difficult to realize.
I really didn't think the voting would turn like this. What a combo - a ''EPIC's maps turned to MH XMAS maps'' contest :lol2: . Seriously, I really didn't think that there would be a tie (especially with those options), :help: !
bitbasher
Novice

Post by bitbasher »

As for the contest ,
I really love Christmas related maps, that wont necessarily require snow or terrain.I would love to see another hq xmas pack even, but for that you really need to allow custom content . gametype dosnt even matter to me, it could just be a demo style deathmatch maps, But it would be awsome to see a bunch of linked christmas maps as a coop type mission set.
unfortunatly a xmas contest might be boring to some , the holidays not universaly celebrated and i remember a recent xmas contest a while ago where a few very nice maps were produced ( including a nice xmas-face map by fnb )

since im not a big ut player much , it would be great if the contest suggested u1/ut compatibility , or the final map set usage terms allowed back porting, similar to the last unrealsp speedmapping contest.
MEAT
Adept

Post by MEAT »

I've seen "theme" type contests come and go and with not much success...usually because the deadline is never met.
As a player of the game I would suggest a DM type map...mainly because of popularity and longevity.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

DM is the game type what is the easiest of all because you don't have to care much about defense and ambush and the correct bot pathing for that.
MEAT
Adept

Post by MEAT »

As for judging...in addition to the bells and whistles of a good map I hope the criteria for the map that wins is playability/flow/movement...which makes defense just as important as offense.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Just a reminder to some that you can still change your votes, as well as select more than 1 option (up to 3) until tomorrow. :P