Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

I have put many maps in the editor and fliped them upside down but yet to see the one that just works right ......and yes deck 16 i have done ..... not bad but depending on game style you play it won't work right without a translocator or odds places in maps that are just useless and un-playable...I made a version of deck 16 with some add on's that seemed to work but really though i was the only one with a interest in playing upside down maps and just let it go .....lol....
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Looks like they got the registration. Thanks!
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Yes we did thanks to your efforts ! Good job lol !
{dFb}MattMan
Novice

Post by {dFb}MattMan »

I'm gonna submit a JailBreak Map (JB). I started working on this about a month ago and just found out about this contest so I figured I might as well submit it. It's close to being finished, just need to do a few touch ups here and there. It's based off the face map but it's been completely changed. About the only thing that is original to the map is the sky box but with everything removed but the moon. So instead of two buildings facing each other it's two trees. The Arena should prove to be fun as I've added a snowball gun to it and that's the only weapon you spawn into the arena with so you have to use it.

Anyway here is a quick preview. This is the screen shot I'm actually using in the map.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I got occupied by my comic project ...I had to update the next page. (deadline was last Sunday)

Now I am back for mapping my Morpheus-Peak map is going well ...no errors so far.
(and this sounds nearly impossible for me)

To all new involved ... :highfive: welcome to the contest!!!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

okay, it's coming along a bit better now ... almost done with the Bsp, probably a bit more if i really need it - I added a damn parking garage :loool:

I'll be showing some in-game screenies during the next week - for now here's the bugger (minus a oh-so cliche train mover - i still have to do that - call it a "polar express" :)

here's a wireframe top down view - around 2700 brushes so far..

welcomes to new people :tu:
dm-xc-epicmess-fnb1.jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Given the layout, this could be either a good Deathmatch map or a good Domination one... doesn't look like 2700 brushes, though. :)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Swanky wrote:Given the layout, this could be either a good Deathmatch map or a good Domination one... doesn't look like 2700 brushes, though. :)
The devil is in the details :satan: Actually, the perimeter obviously has to be kept simple, there's simply no way to occlude any of those polys when up high... i do plan to decorate these fake buildings a bit, but not too much because i'm trying to avoid lagging in what is a huge single zone... lighting is a bit of an issue as well, as you can imagine for such a large space. the "street" and inside spaces are higher poly, but better occluded... I won't be MyLeveling extisting texture packages I've used (like a3text.utx, PlutonicUrban.utx, UTTech4.utx) these have existed for years, and the MyLevel will be needed for imported deco meshes and related textures and any new custom textures I need ... I don't want the map to be a bloated pig that takes forever to download when played on a server.

this gives a better idea of what i did (well, you might have guessed already)... :)
dm-xc-epicmess-fnb2.jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Interesting layout choices Frag. :D
I got the skyline done! Still needs loads of work to make the map playable. You may be right about outdoor detail. Looks like I have to split my map up again (like I did with Selket). Yet I want to see how bad it is before I do anything possibly incredibly stupid. Also got most of the trimming done already... Currently using around 2600 brushes, 9600 polys and >20k nodes. >.< Still need to decorate the upper bridge, the teleporter and respawn indoor rooms and most annoyingly the central base building that covers most of the bases to limit hitscan weapons a little (will be hard enough with all the jumppads around).
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

ig screens!
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

2600 brushes......That is alot .....seems you can pull out most of the items ,then merge into one brush and cut you brush count by 2/3rds give you the ability for more poly count to do what you want .less BSP cuts to deal with and you will have some kick ass pre-fab brushes to use in several other map in the future .Map looks great and alot of detail,man hours,etcI would really like to see some screen shots of what the map looks lick in dynamic unlit mod to get a better feel of what all you got going on in there......looks like great stuff though .I have a map i am working on now that would be about 3000 brushes in it but i put it all in a builders box.....turned several brushes into to 600 or so that has helped greatly on my FPS and bsp cuts .It is a Ironman 3 themed map .You are in his lower level of his house where he does all his work with the Ironman suits ,Tons of cool custom brushes for just about every thing.When it is done i will not lock out my brushes.....i am happy to see others make things with my brushes and be used for years to come...I will post some screen shots of the map tonight wen i get off work.....I guess i could enter it in the contest but not really a xmas map so ....i prefer to leave the contest alone so it stays more xmas themed .Our clan has entered the JB xmas map....Really trick stuff matt put in there.....We got the snow gun out of unreal ,converted it to UT99,then scripted it to work lol....Then i have a guy in the clan that has kept his xmas map secret to all of us in the clan so ....who knows what he has to offer .He is a wonderful mapper so .......So i think 3 maps from one clan would be over kil lol......I will post Ironman screen shots tonight for fun .
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Nah, merging won't really work here, or at least it won't change anything except for worse BSP cuts. Also, having lots of brushes is no problem. My old Tarjas map has more than 4100 brushes and it isn't affected in any way.
As for the JB map, there seems to be some serious offgrid mapping. Hard to pull off without BSP holes.
Fnb, I just took your pipes and their brush structure just disappeared although the brush is still there. But as long as nothing happens - hey, it even made my cuts a little easier on the engine - everything is working fine. Thanks for your help. If I get the main building done tonight, you'll get another screenie. Otherwise, you won't. :P
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Noted .......Keep up the great work ..
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Yeah, you too. :)
I think this is enough for today... moved around 800 brushes and got lots of things done. Will add some more touches to it tomorrow...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

FNB, Gen and Swanky .... :| ...How should I be able to keep up with your work??
I demand to add an handicap to all of them ...

Mapping with both arms tied to the chair. :ironic: