Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

IronMan map will not be finished to enter the contest.Still tons of work to do .
Mattman and Pipe have or will be making entries for the contest .mini-me maps,lol Never heard it put that way. i like it .

We play a lot of different game style...DM,LMS,JB,Binslayer,MH,NW3 ,so we have large and small maps but mostly Mini-me's.

I like the snow globe idea alot.there is a old map with a snow globe in it that a snow monster chases you around in it .i don't know what map it is in but man,been lookin for it for a long time.
We had an idea for the snow globe.instead of making it a skybox,use spawn protection script to shrink your player into the snow globe . you would be able to see in the snow globe or out of the snow globe .you can see the other players inside it or look out and see them .just a thought ...

Ironman inside you are bout the size of a cup or a mug in ratio to the rest of the map .we have beta tested it for game play and runs well but have tons of work to do on the skybox and trick stuff for the map. really interested in the jets to make the intro dude mesh. 2 times bigger then attach it to the jet for the mesh and fly around like ionman would be interesting .map is done other then just playing with fun stuff to make it interesting .

I hope Pipe gets his map in here though .
i won't say what it is but stuff i have never seen in a ut map before and tons of custom work .
amazing if he gets it out in time is all i got to say .
Last edited by {dFb}VanQuisher on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Terrain done, evasion route done, details to top floor bridge done, base for top floor jumppads done... will start with lighting tomorrow...
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

DeathoX 8 wrote:ASLYE702 and Medor: sorry guys for responding so late, I know that all my links are dead but I don't have the final version of some of my older maps to upload (I still have to wade through my mapping folders), after I will find them I will upload them all on multiple mirrors. When I get around to it (probably after this contest has ended) I'll also PM you with a zip containing them all (UT 99 only, the UT 3 ones are like 30MB per map ;)).
No problem, here is zOm Map Manager viewer, just click the map name and you can check whats files you are using on your maps
http://www.2shared.com/fadmin/38590189/ ... r.zip.html
brazzjazz
Average

Post by brazzjazz »

FraGnBraG wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:Map size limit? :mrgreen:
If I will finish the map where can I send it?
no size limit - you make it as big or small as you like :)
What about a DM-Universe... :D
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Phraggonía wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:Map size limit? :mrgreen:
If I will finish the map where can I send it?
no size limit - you make it as big or small as you like :)
What about a DM-Universe... :D
DM-Universe? I dont know this map... Or now you kidding? :D
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Looking great swanky!
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

{dFb}MattMan wrote:
The Ironman map... yeah... interesting. Looks kinda big, too, at least for a Mini-Me map. Need to have a look ingame to say whether I like it or not...
It's actually not big at all for a sniper map, witch is the style of game we play. I would say it's more of a midsized map. Same goes for the JB map more geared towards sniping.
Sniper map is what I was thinking. Love sniper maps... and I also love the Iron Man movie so this would be really interesting! :twisted:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

ASLYE702 wrote:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
I deleted random a texture pack and now I can't open my map, I give up :(
Open the log-view in UEd and you will see the name of the missing texture-pack when you open the map.
You can then search your PC, the net or ask here.
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

Today I managed to get some more work done, I finished the main Bluff terrain mesh and and got its bridge structure and a good part of the town done. This terrain part is the largest in the level, lighting it up is going to be a PITA (the light blobs you see on the walls in the first pic are lights with 255 radius). I have also meshed some other caves and the spires that surround the town but I still have to scale them up correctly.
Still more cheese since I'll wait until almost all the geometry and lighting is complete to add textures. In the background you can however see the original Bluff skybox ;)

@LeviKOS: I export the mesh from Blender in ASE format (using an external plugin, made by goofos IIRC), then I import it into UT3's UnrealEd (Brush > Import). From there I export the brush in T3D, which can be read also in UnrealEd 2.0. I think that there is a program that does the direct ASE to T3D conversion, called ASEtoT3D IIRC (it's been a while since I've tried it), personally I use UT3's UnrealEd since if I messed up some normals I can flip them without going in Blender and doing another round of exporting. It's no big deal for me since I do all the texture alignment in Ued but with my method I think you always lose the texture unwrapping.

@Swanky: My current plan is to try to finish this big MH, I could probably take some of the parts that I've already done and do another mashup for another gametype but I don't think that I have enough time to make it detailed enough. In this MH I'm counting a lot on atmosphere over usual trim decorations so I can both build the rooms very quickly and have one huge map (it barely fits in the 65536uu space on the Y axis :loool:).
For CTF and DM being the map much smaller I would have to make them much more detailed.
Attachments
BlufferTerrainOverview.jpg
BlufferBridge.jpg
BlufferTown.jpg
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

hmmm... i need to get bots working (34 players starts) they tend to gravitate to the arenas (like fetid and stalwart) a bot will spawn in an area nearby an ambush point, collect all the goods and then head straight over to stalwart or fetid. they don't seem intested at all in the sniper spots anywhere in this f*kkn map :mad2: i'm getting a bit frustrated... should i really care about this BOT behavior too much? if i snipe them, they will eventually come after me, but don't go sniping on their own ... do i need some special actor setup? - even using dvt's don't seem to help much, the bots don't want to camp...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
TARZANFROMJUNGLE
Novice

Post by TARZANFROMJUNGLE »

Swanky, mate, that is some fine art you got there, really promising.
I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

@DeathoX 8: Now I am really pumped to see the final product. :gj:
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Not finished yet... but you get the idea
Attachments
Shot0129.png
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

So great entries so far :o But don't you think that that lamp's corona is a little too low?
I hope I can show something by the end of the weekend.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

GenMoKai wrote:Not finished yet... but you get the idea
i love it.