Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by FraGnBraG »

GenMoKai wrote:Not finished yet... but you get the idea
@gen - oh no, you will lose a point for having a corona too low, lol! jk :) freakin awsome work there - those little islands floating at the sides - can players go there? you could have sniper-spots in those little forests, but exposed from the towers...

@swanky, that's pretty serious a$$-kicking mappage you have there :tu: can't wait to see it with lighting :rock:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

looking good guys :gj:
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

They are meshes to cut out the poly's and and bugs that will make some parts of the snowglobe invisible. You CAN get up them, but they are moving (yeah, up/down and slightly spin. So i think it will be a terrible spot to snipe cause of the movement. But they are accessable. Maybe after this contest, im going to make a w00t version i think.

Also tested out that shaking idea, i liked it untill i did it. It is more annoying (even when players arent thrown away by it, i think it will ruin the gameplay a bit)

I think this is best :)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Not sure I like the big Christmas Tree in the middle of the map. Might be better to replace it with a regular tree and shift it to somewhere inside the "skybox-room". Other than that, this face rendition looks really promising.
FnB, the map is looking quite nice with lighting, but it's not finished yet. Interestingly, I have neither FPS problems and surprisingly few holes. Even the nodecount is in acceptable ranges, only the Polycount goes through the roof if you are really going for it (peaking at somewhere between 900 and 950 in few spots).

€ the lamps not being in line and the small "see through the floor" bug in the last picture are already dealt with.

Last edited by Swanky on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Looks like a fusion between your CTF-Selket und FrozenDozer's DM-Reenoc :tu:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Yupp, many ideas from Selket are used (again). Coming to a point where I don't like mapping at all again - maybe rendering times upwards of 4 minutes have something to do with this... :/
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

Swanky , Map looks incredible is it DM,ctf ?either way it will be on my server for sure .
Great detail in your map .I am excited

Snow Globe map:
I am in all the way .Sign me up .Looks awesome.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Swanky wrote:Yupp, many ideas from Selket are used (again). Coming to a point where I don't like mapping at all again - maybe rendering times upwards of 4 minutes have something to do with this... :/
keep going Swanky - you gotta finish this one no matter what! btw, It's so cool watching your progress as the map evolves into shape - I also find it amusing how you always manage to use custom artwork in many different ways never thought of by the original texture authors :satan: :rock:
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

@Swanky, don't take this in a bad way, but the second screenshot, the inside, looks so empty? or is that just me?
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Thanks guys I'm really glad to see you are all as hyped as I am. :tu:
@Swanky, don't take this in a bad way, but the second screenshot, the inside, looks so empty? or is that just me?
Yes you are right about this one, yet I don't know if I have further resources to outfit it some more. There will be some more panels added and as this room will become the red base armory, also some weapons, ammunition and health. :)
Swanky , Map looks incredible is it DM,ctf ?either way it will be on my server for sure .
Great detail in your map .I am excited
That map will be a CTF map, using pretty much the same style as Selket (although both will play quite differently).
keep going Swanky - you gotta finish this one no matter what! btw, It's so cool watching your progress as the map evolves into shape - I also find it amusing how you always manage to use custom artwork in many different ways never thought of by the original texture authors :satan: :rock:
I'm not sure I ever did that. :P Maybe it's not that I see a texture someone created but a possibility to achieve the vision in my head with something someone made. I'm also quite confident that I will finish that map.

Maybe not today, though. I'm having the feeling I should stop for today. Tomorrow I think I'll focus on the rest of the lighting and start with the respawn rooms up high. If there's some free room after that, I'll start with linking the jumppads and Teleports (each side will have at least 3 jumppads and 1 teleporter, + 2 teleporter in the map's center)
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

As i Just couldn't resist joining, I started mapping, meanwhile studying, the problem is that on monday the exam week starts again, so this will be a real quick one! my apologies!
(uplaoding the screenshot later, as my internet says no.)

[img]

based it a little on on myth's map, dunno how it's called, the under level will be terrain. Anyone who can tell me how to make snow? would be appreciated.
Last edited by Isotoxin on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Depends on how many polys you want to spend. Easiest way is just to have some snow texture on your terrain. You can also use non-solid tesselated cubes to form a second terrain to simulate snow, but this'll be really harsh on the engine. If you only want to do some small snow patches, you can use an external program to make some brushes to meshes, then use these as snowy patches. That's the way I used for my Selket snow patches (which you can use as well if you want to).
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

GenMoKai: Love the idea! And you managed to make a rather convincing Face remake from scratch, props for that. :gj: What particle generator are you using for the snow? Would you be able to share it with me?

Swanky: If I had to guess that's a CTF map you're building? I love the way the buildings look and the overall future-city theme going on. I've wanted to build something like that for a while but lack the time or the skill, haha.

FragNBrag: I'm *especially* looking forward to seeing how your project comes out... such a damned crazy idea, it just HAS to work!!! :o Also, regarding the Gateway CTF map, kicking myself in the pants for not having thought of that! Glad to see that awesome map being put to use in some way...

Well, yeah, I've been watching this awesomeness unfold for long enough; count me in. I am getting in a little late to the game so I think I'll just stick to adapting a Na Pali campaign map for UT Deathmatch... make it nice and wintery while I'm at it, too. I have another idea for a MH adaptation of several Na Pali maps but I'll put that off for later because I also kinda want to make sure that's developed in terms of monsters/events and stuff... it would be more involved than a DM adaptation, I think.
Last edited by jaypeezy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Aight, got pretty far today... fully finished the structure of the map, also the surrounding terrain has been done, done for today, now gameplayobjects, lighting and decoration, more work than I hoped it to be...

Done with trying to uplaod screenshots, seems like the layout will be kept secret for now......
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

jaypeezy wrote:... damned crazy ...
....i tell myself that every time i open it up in the editor, lol ... trouble with "city" type maps in unreal is you find yourself having to keep adding sh&t in to try and make it look more "city" like and sometimes it seems there's no end in sight :omfg: i think some guys must of taken months straight to make some of those huge city maps (like that trofa spanish guy whom i can't never remember his name) anyways, it's looking like about 500 more brushes needed before i can start with the deco-meshes, which should be quick enough ... that'll be about 3000-3200 total, - world nodes will end up about 30000-35000 ... i will be deleting lights, oddly, i want to darken things up a bit ... some pics coming this weekend for sure as i finish some areas up...
jaypeezy wrote:...Gateway CTF map...
well it is still there, you want to finish it? no rule says mappers can't team up - it's basically done - just needs a lot of texture replacement, aligning, and gameplay adjustments (better flow in areas, etc) and also the shitty skybox needs to be replaced with a much better one...

there's also no xmas theme - you'd have to make that up some how, lol. i was going to give it shot if i got the city done in time, but i know i won't - the city will go probably right up to the last friggin minute :shock:

seriously, if you want it just say so - there a fair amount of work needs to be done as you would see ...