Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by Isotoxin »

Swanky wrote:Depends on how many polys you want to spend. Easiest way is just to have some snow texture on your terrain. You can also use non-solid tesselated cubes to form a second terrain to simulate snow, but this'll be really harsh on the engine. If you only want to do some small snow patches, you can use an external program to make some brushes to meshes, then use these as snowy patches. That's the way I used for my Selket snow patches (which you can use as well if you want to).
Thanks for your answer, hover I really mean like, snow, snowing! is there an effect in order to do so? my map is nothing much, honestly, so it should not be a problem for ued to handle it. Also, curved pipes, how to do it? Need a 90degreed angled one, if those 2 things are done the map is far finished, only some final thoughes regarding the lighting..
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Isotoxin wrote:
Swanky wrote:Need a 90degreed angled one
Did you already try the 2D-shape editor?

EDIT---------------------------------------------------- I forgot this one.
Isotoxin wrote: Thanks for your answer, hover I really mean like, snow, snowing! is there an effect in order to do so?
FnB used an actor for this in his snow-Faced map (don't know the exact name but you should find it on map-factory or on his homepage)
...but as far as I remember it will not work online.
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

FraGnBraG wrote:seriously, if you want it just say so - there a fair amount of work needs to be done as you would see ...
Hey, thanks for the offer! :D I'm trying to submit a remake of an awesome snow-themed half-life mod map (wow that's long); as soon as I finish that though, since I don't think it should take that long (after all, it's all already there, just gotta recreate it), I'll consider taking a jab at it.
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

OK, a bit of what I've got thus far after an entire night in UEd:

The map isn't gonna be 100% accurate - so, buildings will be more accessible, layout will differ in some places, and everything won't be entirely to scale (better flow/bot pathing). This is actually an improvement, in addition to making it more suitable for UT the map will be unique in certain ways. There's gonna be *snowfall* in it and, if I'm not too much of a lazy jerk, even accurate stepping sounds where there's snow :D

Tomorrow. Right now I'm too darn tired. Excuse the Software rendering btw, haha.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Isotoxin wrote: Thanks for your answer, hover I really mean like, snow, snowing! is there an effect in order to do so? my map is nothing much, honestly, so it should not be a problem for ued to handle it. Also, curved pipes, how to do it? Need a 90degreed angled one, if those 2 things are done the map is far finished, only some final thoughes regarding the lighting..
Some of UT's stock maps have snowfall in it. They used a texture off the pack "UTtech1", called snow_1 which is located in misc. I can't see your screenshot, but it only really works with interior buildings that have a view to some exterior via windows, for example.

Looks promising, jaypeezy! :)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Looking good so far... got extremely far this morning: the rest of the lighting is done, most of the interiors have been made and decorated (save for one center part), both teleporters AND jumppads are in. Will focus on pathing and items this afternoon, and after that, on the rest of the visuals.

€ How should we send in our maps?

FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

awesome looking stuff you guys :tu: submissions, I think we decided Gen or paper would make a separate thread where mapper's can link their maps ... so anything related to the files would go there. At some point (when the contest is officially closed then the maps would be collected for judging etc)...

i'm just past 2900 brushes, 3000 brush mark, and i have random death-spots showing up in various places - good thing is the places are always the same spots - they just show up and then disappear after more brushes are added - so i'm just going to ignore them until i'm finished with adding bsp then i'll see if i can fix them - if not, then i'll just add some little mesh barricades with signs on them saying "danger - death zone!" lol

@swanky - very nice look!

@jayp - looks very nice :) looks like a higher level of detail that my map, mine's mostly cubes, lol (just thousands of them)

how big is that map going to be?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

past 2900 brushes, 3000 brush mark
Lucker. I'm already past 3700 due to excessive use of lights and item bases (using the same as in Selket which means I need 3 sheets for 1 item base). >.<
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

wow, i'm only at 300, and it's nearly finished up!
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

jaypeezy wrote:OK, a bit of what I've got thus far after an entire night in UEd:

The map isn't gonna be 100% accurate - so, buildings will be more accessible, layout will differ in some places, and everything won't be entirely to scale (better flow/bot pathing). This is actually an improvement, in addition to making it more suitable for UT the map will be unique in certain ways. There's gonna be *snowfall* in it and, if I'm not too much of a lazy jerk, even accurate stepping sounds where there's snow :D

Tomorrow. Right now I'm too darn tired. Excuse the Software rendering btw, haha.
Wow .Looks wonderful.Can i send you my credit card info and book a room or do i need to pay when i arrive ? Can't wait to see the final compile and play it .
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

600 here ;) but i dont count the meshes with it. But i kept my map simple
jaypeezy wrote:GenMoKai: Love the idea! And you managed to make a rather convincing Face remake from scratch, props for that. :gj: What particle generator are you using for the snow? Would you be able to share it with me?
It's called ParticleSprayer. Havent the file for you now here (not at home right now) But i took the file from Rakiayn's Battlew00t map

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=6375

He myleveled i, but you can still take it from here
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Day's resumee: many really nice looking maps out here, looking forward to play each. Also like the diversity of the maps.
Resumee of the day's work:
- lighting finished
- pathing finished, tested and fixed
- item layout finished AND adjusted
- music problem solved (and file myleveled)
- some minor layout issues adressed
- jumppads myleveled, tested and adjusted
- added detail textures to custom content where necessary
- added in item bases
- finished indoor areas
- added in ut99 contest banner

Bottom line: I should get a life.

..I still need to do the AmbientSounds and the Particle Effects for the Jumppads, though.
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

OK, I am officially done with the base outdoors portion of the map. Currently in the process of actually filling in the buildings with rooms, windows etc. to really make gameplay all the better... so, right now would be the best time to bust out those credit cards for the hotel, haha. :agree1:

Frag, this map is really not going to be so large. It just looks detailed because of the textures - again, this is based off of a Snow-Wars map, which was a map for an incredible but under-appreciated Half Life mod in which people fought with snowballs instead of guns. Original map didn't have much in the way of indoor areas, though... which I intend to change.

EDIT-------------------------------------- by papercoffee
GenMoKai wrote:
It's called ParticleSprayer. Havent the file for you now here (not at home right now) But i took the file from Rakiayn's Battlew00t map

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=6375

He myleveled i, but you can still take it from here

Where can I find the ParticleSprayer in the "actors" window, once I have it loaded in ued?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@jaypeezy ...please avoid double posts next time.

Your map looks interesting ...I was long time HL and CS player ...but never heard of this Snow Wars mod.
Any links?
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Ow whoops, i gave you the wrong map..I'm sorry about it. I try to search for a map (or the file) and upload it agian

My map is almost done, just adding some more fancy stuff into the skybox, And i think after that it should be finished (yes, bots can also play in the map, they got there path's)

EDIT:

There you go with the file (its myleveled) So just open that map, after that, open your map and place it in there
Attachments
ParticleSprayerMyLevel.unr
(22.25 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission