Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Here's my now officially CANCELLED map (I just did too many rookie mistakes), I'll still have a stab at it for training but it will not be released (unless someone wants to finish it lol). I know that it's ugly, especially the main playing field (the tree). The only thing that I might work on is the skybox (the house).
I guess DM ain't my thing.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/25 ... ytree.jpg/ :?
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Finally managed to uplaod...

so, for you guys to see alitle bit of the "evolution" of this crappy project...

and this is, what i've currently got, still some pickups to add...

don't be harsh please, it's the first DM i've ever tried.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Okay, I see snowing sheets wouldn't help here :lol: Actually, your first time touching DM was our community map! And your map really doesn't look bad at all. I see lots of z-axis fighting coming :thuup:
But I would move the zoneinfo in your skybox a little higher, so that the mountains don't appear too gigantic.

@GeX: Don't you want to think about it again? Because the idea itself is nice... I think your tree would look better if you tapered its trunk to the top. Besides, take (or make) another, better suiting texture for the needles. And split the shapes into several smaller ones which are connected by branches. Then you would add some z-axis on the different levels of the tree as well :wink:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

editor Dave wrote:Okay, I see snowing sheets wouldn't help here :lol: Actually, your first time touching DM was our community map! And your map really doesn't look bad at all. I see lots of z-axis fighting coming :thuup:
But I would move the zoneinfo in your skybox a little higher, so that the mountains don't appear too gigantic.

@GeX: Don't you want to think about it again? Because the idea itself is nice... I think your tree would look better if you tapered its trunk to the top. Besides, take (or make) another, better suiting texture for the needles. And split the shapes into several smaller ones which are connected by branches. Then you would add some z-axis on the different levels of the tree as well :wink:
Well, yeah, thats true. But that was more like a room, this is also the first time that I was working with terrain, so I'm aware of it looking dull and edgy.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

I admit I saw the cubic origin of your terrain on the ground (especially on the left side). But there's nothing wrong with changing that, isn't it? ^^
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

editor Dave wrote:I admit I saw the cubic origin of your terrain on the ground (especially on the left side). But there's nothing wrong with changing that, isn't it? ^^
I'll get that done! However I think this map aint good gameplay-wise, dunno it just doesn't feel well. Hope I can get some changes regarding that.
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

hopefully I'll get this finished by the 15th....steadily working on this for many many hours a night since I rechecked this post on the 20th of november. (thus starting a bit late) Hoping it will be epicish enough.

Outside with sky:

and the unrealed:

oops the fullscreen preview cuts off a third of the picture. so if it does just click on the pic itll be fullscreen.

edit: to avoid double post....on the snow skybox thing...several epic maps did snow things, and also CTF-BT-i4games.unr has a snow sky. One stock map even makes larger than the window subtract brushes with sheet Uttech_snow sheets placed over the window.
like a 256x256x256 cube with fakebackdrop on 5 faces (the ones that can be seen from the "window") and a 64x64x64 window attached between the 256 and the level, and there is a sheet covering 256 but back from the "window" just a tiny bit with the ut snow texture

edit again....ooh I'm glad I saw this:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=44274#p44274

I was wondering where the logo was. Now I know

megaedit: sorry for lots of edits but....I just came back to this page when I posted pics...then I read backwards from 17 to the beginning

I saw the zone count pic that was posted and the mention of lots of liquid areas.

Maybe you could use huge pipes to connect similar zones. Lots of mappers make a central 256x256x256 lava/slime/water with zoneinfo in it.
Then use pipes that are 4 units by 4 units by as much as you need. That way you use ONE lavazone info for ALL lavazones...etc saving zones
I have connected pipes from one area with a water zone to 16856 units away with another water zone on one of mine that was overzoned
just make a 4x4x128 or something coming down off the bottom of the pool (or side but makesure not to get above the actual zone sheet)
then connect a 4x4x16856 onto that and then a 4x4x128 connecting to the other pool and so on...chaining all those types together.
it IS alot of work, but it can save a map. just make sure to not intersect the map at other parts
(use as many pipes as you need to avoid the other sections)

I'll stop reading old posts now so I'll stop editing this post every 10 minutes
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

editor Dave wrote:@GeX: Don't you want to think about it again? Because the idea itself is nice... I think your tree would look better if you tapered its trunk to the top. Besides, take (or make) another, better suiting texture for the needles. And split the shapes into several smaller ones which are connected by branches. Then you would add some z-axis on the different levels of the tree as well :wink:
@tree textures: I agree that they're bad but I can't find a good replacement (except for the trunk, I think I found one), oh and what did you mean with tapering the trunk (my lack of english shows)? If you ment making the top bigger by height, then I agree.
@z_axis: I'll think about it ;)
Thanks for showing interest...
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

I meant that the top of your trunk must be thinner than its bottom, compare yours with pics of other firs to see what I'm trying to say.
Concerning your lack of good textures, you could play around with the skins for the retail trees, located under UnrealShare => Skins in your texture browser. Then your shapes will look more interesting automatically :)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Now that you mention it... Lol, what have I done?! :lol2: since the entire trunk (and the branches at the bottom) ARE the nitrogen zones, I just hope it won't break completely :) .
Playtested, seems I made the tree a wee bit too small, maybe I should enlarge the 3 floors or add a 4th one or do both... Hmm...

EDIT: @Isotoxin: Lookin sweet (weird antenna :))
@ozma nice terrain :tu:
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

papercoffee wrote:@jaypeezy ...please avoid double posts next time.

Your map looks interesting ...I was long time HL and CS player ...but never heard of this Snow Wars mod.
Any links?
Sorry about that! Here's a ModDB page for it; the main site is now dead:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/snow-war
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

jaypeezy wrote:
papercoffee wrote:@jaypeezy ...please avoid double posts next time.

Your map looks interesting ...I was long time HL and CS player ...but never heard of this Snow Wars mod.
Any links?
Sorry about that! Here's a ModDB page for it; the main site is now dead:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/snow-war
Cool thanks...
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

My map CTF-XC-Peak17 is finished. Where should I put it?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

One final screenshot? *drool*
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

The first pic: Skybox uses a slightly brighter blue
The other two: Skybox uses a darker blue
Also: that windmill totally moves 8)

I'm not sure what I'm gonna stick with. Quite honestly I suck at skyboxes. But, I got the snow generator to work after it was snowing into a tunnel. As it turns out, if you have a surface that isn't thick enough (not sure what the minimum thickness is here), the snow will fall through it. Really weird.

This dark blueish hue is what I'd like the outside to look like, evening time. Do you think it's alright for the map? I'm really just using a ZoneInfo's zonelighting for the outdoors, all indoor areas will of course have their own lighting. So, in a way this is just place-holder lighting... until I decide to keep it.