Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by DeathoX 8 »

@Ozma777 I know that you can copy and paste everything straight in, but I wanted something a little more exciting ;). I could have used all the original geometry and lighting from the Epic maps since the rooms that I'm using are very close to the originals, but I am creating everything from scratch because I want it to feel very close to the original but still have a bit of my mapping in it :).
To be honest I should probably have taken most of the old brushes and just changed up some little things, that would have been much quicker and I would have had more chances of making it in time for the deadline, but I am having much more fun this way :). Since the map is going to be much bigger than Bluff I also need to have cleaner brushwork to avoid BSP errors, and some of the old Epic maps have a lot of off-grid brushes and weird semisolids.

@Frag Thanks man, but I doubt I'll be able to make it in time even for the second deadline... I'll give it my best though :)

As for the cheese, in the last couple of years I've started using this approach of completely forgetting texturing and lighting until most of the architecture is done. The visual part of the map has always been my weak spot, and my old maps were generally composed of square rooms crammed with all sorts of trims and pillars.
With this approach I'm forced to think more about "real" architecture, which means caring more about the basic shapes of the rooms and walkways rather than just taking cubes and filling them with trims, and this cheese approach really helps a lot with this since trims don't help visuals at all when everything has the same texture.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

@Death: Wow, respect. Wouldn't see myself mapping like that! Giving me a headache seeing the project like that. However, when trying to imagine it with it's textures, it could end up in something real great! This seems real big to me also, so I hope you can get this beauty finished in time! Keep us posted, i'd like to see the first shots when textureing.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

:mad2: Just my freakin luck!
My brother deleted the map! :nonono:
NOOOOooooo...!!!!!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

GEx wrote::mad2: Just my freakin luck!
NOOOOooooo...!!!!!
WHHAAAAAT?????!!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

NOOOOooooo...!!!!!
Generally brothers do not hit Shift-Del and hit just Del, so possibly it's still in your Recycle Bin waiting for being restored and completed by you? :wink:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

FraGnBraG wrote:@swanky - not too sure about that - my observation is spawns are triggered based on proximity of other bots and available guns/pickup at the time of spawn. I have never observed zones affecting things as you noticed... just saying i've never seen that. i'll presume the path network is not too huge. just to be sure, if you check the logs and see any of those "1000 path nodes reached" messages, then consider the path network to be "broken" and likely to have mal-functions. If the log is clear of path-related errors then god knows what the problem is...
No problems there. It only brags about some Inventory Spots possibly too close, but that's about it. Like I said, people were only respawning in confined zones, the indoor zones, but in the outdoor zone where they were murdered. Figured it was worth a try - added some brushed zones hanging in the air, enclosing the spawn points close to the Minigun (see the bottom of the last screenshot of mine), and then they were regularly spawning there, not in the beginning of the match. There's two spawn points in each base that are only used at the start of the match. Maybe it's different, though, like it only respawning in other zones as the large outdoor zone has more enemy players inside it, but the solution would be the same, and it's working. :)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Feralidragon wrote:
NOOOOooooo...!!!!!
Generally brothers do not hit Shift-Del and hit just Del, so possibly it's still in your Recycle Bin waiting for being restored and completed by you? :wink:
Seems they do, the bin is empty and all of my WIP maps (which I keep in a seperate UT, but there were only 3 maps there) are gone :( and yes, I checked both this and the one I play at...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

GEx wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:
NOOOOooooo...!!!!!
Seems they do, the bin is empty and all of my WIP maps (which I keep in a seperate UT, but there were only 3 maps there) are gone :( and yes, I checked both this and the one I play at...
And why did he do it?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's a shame.... how old is your brother anyway? Probably it was revenge for something you did?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Feralidragon wrote:That's a shame.... how old is your brother anyway?
He's 10, and yeah, eigher he was angry at something (he's often angry, but today he was really mad), or it was by accident (as he likes to mess with the editor too like making a 2-corridor-udamagefx-textured-ctf4 map) and instead of deleting his own maps he kinda included mine as well and didn't check what he was deleting.
Oh well, learned my lesson now: lock my files with passwords. Does any tool do that? My brother really likes snooping around my stuff in the pc, I really need to think of some protection.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Buy your own PC? I used to, and still work every weekend as i'm just 16y/o, just to buy my own sutff, iphone, laptop, desktop, tv... Condsider it.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

GEx wrote:lock my files with passwords. Does any tool do that? My brother really likes snooping around my stuff in the pc, I really need to think of some protection.
Do you know true crypt ??
But afterwards what protect your protected files ...he could delete this as well.
An own password protected PC would be a better solution.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Windows has built-in file-encryption that can be enabled with a registry tweak.
I usually enable it as one of the options when I use "Autopatcher"
http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/

If your drive is partitioned sensibly, and your UT is NOT in the same partition as windows, then you would have a good chance of undeleting files with a free undelete tool.
http://my.opera.com/dr-flay/blog/recovery-tools

Alternatively install a second copy of UT for him to use in his own windows profile.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Isotoxin wrote:Buy your own PC? I used to, and still work every weekend as i'm just 16y/o, just to buy my own sutff, iphone, laptop, desktop, tv... Condsider it.
you buy all that stuff yourself? must be a good job! anyways - i will be giving lots of comments on maps in the next weeks - i do notice most screenshots are really dark.. even swanky's -

@gex - do you have auto save turned on...? check in your unrealtournament\maps folder for files called Auto1.unr, Auto2.unr, Auto3.unr, etc. Autosave, which i believe is on by default, saves a copy of your map every X minutes as "auto<number).unr" - recycles 0-9. so a copy would be one of those. order by date, take the latest auto file and rename it back to your map name - load it in UED and voila. you may be missing some of you last edits but it's better than loosing a map altogether. it is highly unlikely yur brother would know to delete these auto files as well...

a good practice is to keep a usb stick handy and when you work on maps and want to backup your map just copy it to the stick when you finish a mapping session - then you lose nothig :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Thanks for your help, guys!
@Frag: Autosave is disabled. Though from now on I'll make back-ups of my work in the usb (or maybe in my mp3 :lol2:)

...Oh well, back to the old drawing board...