Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
ASLY

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by ASLY »

FraGnBraG wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:I can't do bot paths... :X
Never too late to learn how to bot-path :D
Oh FUUUU!!! :ironic2:
Ok I know some stuff... I can see the lines when Radii View is on...
But how jumping the bots?
In my room map maybe not really need PathNode I set lowgravity, but.... ehm... I really dont know how I make it :X
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

ASLYE702 wrote:... I really dont know how I make it :X
it's "show paths" not "radii view" that lets you see the path-network...

- use the least amount of pathnodes (apples) as you can to connect ALL pickup and playerstarts.
- in general place the apples as far apart as possible in open areas (up to 400uu apart)
- obviously, it tight spots or short hallways etc, you will have them closer together
- remember ALL pickup and playerstars act as pathnodes so don't put apples on top of weapons or health etc
- place about 10 nodes at a time then rebuild paths (use the rebuild paths toolbar button) and you can see instantly the lines - try and get BLUE lines to join the apples, pickups and playerstarts. there will often be RED lines, ignore these if you already have a blue line connecting the items.
- as for doors, lifts, teleporters and jumppads you will have to know about Teleporters, LiftExits, LiftCenters (jumpspots), and how to trigger movers.

if you ask specifically how to get a bot to use a lift, or how to lift jump etc i'm sure someone will explain the steps...

For Jumppads you can use the SWJumpad by Switch'. This actor works really well for horizontal (shallow) jumping (it is used often in WOOT maps) it's not so good for near-vertical jumps (it generates errors and malfunctions) to do quake-style vertical jumppads you have to do as Swanky mentioned in a post already, but test the crap out of each one...
- just like in water zones, bots need paths to follow in LOW-GRAV. They can use their air-control to navigate when floating... again, this takes a lot of testing, so at the very least, path the map as if it is not low-grav, then turn on low-grav AFTER. see if they get stuck and then try to fix only the problem areas...

there you go... hope this helps
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Ooops, im wrong!
kk Thanks a lof FraGnBraG! I try it... Who knows how it will succeed :D
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

Ok so bot pathing in the terrain might not work, but this map is done as of yesterday 12-12-12 (yay). Only thing I need to figure out (if I can) is what the fk happened to my mylevel texture pack. Somehow in one of the maps I imported it also imported a screenshot. So that screenshot must have been corrupted (why did it import it anyway???). Mylevel crashes when you browse to it. I managed to slyly slip in a screenshot anyway, but it doesn't show when you start a new game (at the map screen). I did texture cull and set (poly set texture and select matching) then change texture, but it still hasn't fixed the mylevel browse crash. I'll keep on working on it but I'm posting the finished map anyway later today (even if this error isn't fixed)

So far it is a bit laggy on old machines, but it is a huge terrain connected with parts of as/dm/dom tutorials, the throne room (flythrough room after you win the tournament), Oblivion, Zeto, Gauntlet, Eternal Cave, and the arena from my BT map Postmodern (+some weapons from quantumfighterjets). I hope it is Epic enough, I don't have much experience using other peoples work
Last edited by Ozma777 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Swanky wrote:Some ideas from what I can see on the shots...

Picture one is pretty straight forward and shows what I originally meant. You can also use such a building for a few walkways and more Z-Axis and usually seals an area off better than a fence.

Picture two... here it gets more interesting. First, the architural work is... okay on the center structure. Don't be afraid to experiment with heights, especially for deco buildings. Try building two large pillars with something like 896*128*128 units and position both of them on the gatestructure in the rocks. Then add in a 768*x*256 structure in the middle of these pillars to create some building architecture and breakup from all the rocks. Could then use lights on the front, additional trim and the stuff, or link a jumppad from the center structure to some rare item or so.
Then, you still haven't changed these horrible flares. Trust me, there's a reason why you only see them ever so often. Also, I noticed you have a fair amount of zone lighting. Can sometimes work, but often looks very montonous. It may be better to use a lower lighting brightness value and use a couple of low brightness lights with the same color values and medium range (setting the range too high will kill the editor due to lighting too many polys at once, had that problem in my XC map lately). This can be used in a manner of ways, from creating shadows of the edge to better lighting effects from lamps. Speaking of which, yours still look like they aren't on. I gave some idea on how to make them brighter few pages back, but I can repeat myself here if you want to: if lights with high brightness and low radii don't work, try specilalit textures and lights. That done, I'd make the green lights slightly lighter to create a better contrast to the now darker outside and make it easier again to see something. It may also be necessary to increase light radius of ambient lighting, then.
Try if it works for, if anything doesn't suit you, just revert back to what you already have.
Thanks for the info, but building buildings doesn't seem to be my "thing".... Done the rest though.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Anyone can write for me a "ReadMe" file example? :D
What happen when I dont make bot paths?

Here is a simple... here the bots dont jumping down, why?

Last edited by ASLY on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TARZANFROMJUNGLE
Novice

Post by TARZANFROMJUNGLE »

They'll go loose and steal your lovely Christmas tree. (alright, that was cheeky, my apologies)
I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

YEAH! I try now with Visible teleporters, its working great! :D

I hope tomorrow I can finish my map...
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

Hey Isotoxin, do you mind me asking where you got those snow trees from? Like, what package? They are rather nice looking!
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

OK so I got it.
Problem is when you build from other people's maps you have no idea how they map or what mistakes they will make. It is much easier to troubleshoot your own map than to troubleshoot someone elses. I spent 8 hours yesterday in BSP error hell, sometimes whole rooms were HOM. But I got a working version. Maybe I'll get a V2 up, but maybe I'll just make it worse.

Fixes to do...
Need a bit better bot pathing (specifically jump spots and the outside linked better)
GhandiBlaster default shot explodes the gun in your face doing you damage (other shots work) (not sure what I did before to make this work)
Warpzone by the asbestos suit coming back to EOL-Statues is HOM broken but still warps you (just looks like garbage)
Maybe change kicker skin from cooking fire to something more believable
Top lava zone will NOT be a zone for some reason
(it is up from the asbestos suit if you use fly) It will kill you (nosuit+trigdeath) and with the suit you slip through, you can get out but it's a pain

Working on these fixes, but so far I've just made things worse, but I still have a few days to get V2 done.
(is it considered late if you make a fix after the 15th? Nothing major to change...gameplay not affected except V2 will have better botpathing)
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

jaypeezy wrote:Hey Isotoxin, do you mind me asking where you got those snow trees from? Like, what package? They are rather nice looking!
I ripped those from DM-Abico][, it's in the utr mappack.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Uh, I have a small question... May I make a couple of recoloured contest logo textures :?: reason: I ran out of ideas for the toys of my tree...
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

GEx wrote:Uh, I have a small question... May I make a couple of recoloured contest logo textures :?: reason: I ran out of ideas for the toys of my tree...
You can do that, if you make one on a flag for me! :satan:
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

Swanky wrote:
Helen wrote:It says the map can be "a mash-up of Epic maps parts". Ok well I took DM-Mojo][ and rearranged its parts, and took care to weld them back together properly. Would you like me to submit it?
Well what would hold you back to do so?
I just didn't want to waste anybody's time :)
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

It's never a waste of time to build a map unless the map kills itself beyond repair then it's just a tragedy.
There's only 5 maps on the submission page http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4372&start=0 you should add yours too Helen.