Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: Mapping Contest: "UT99.org Xmas 2012 Mapping Contest"

Post by GenMoKai »

Well i'm "re-creating" CTF-Face with a more "detailed" tower and some extra fancy stuff. But i've to edit a LOT of textures for it ;) just using the standard stuff for now but it will be replaced soon
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Time to raise the competition a little. Count me in for now; I already having a layout idea although it'll be an original concept, custom content and so on, possibly for 2-6 players, already working within the editor. Hopefully I got it done until December 15th. FnB, I'm counting on you. :P
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

FraGnBraG wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:Oh cool, thanks the reply FraGnBraG :D
I have an other question, how I can set a .u package to MyLevel package?
Only I know how do the texture and the sounds... Import, MyLevel package and done!
you can do it this way: "obj load file=scriptname package=MyLevel"

scriptname = myXmasMonster.u etc...
Can you make a simple picture? Don't really understand :|
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

As I already posted over at unrealed.de:
You really think this "Epic maps remake thing" is a good idea? Why not allow people to build their own layouts? After all, that's one of the most difficult aspects in creating a map, so why would you ban exactly that from a contest? :confused2:

Anyway, a month is too little time for me anyway... Still quite busy playing Diablo 3, you know... :tongue:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Revelation wrote: You really think this "Epic maps remake thing" is a good idea? Why not allow people to build their own layouts? After all, that's one of the most difficult aspects in creating a map, so why would you ban exactly that from a contest? :confused2:
No one is banning anyone from the contest if a non-Epic based map is made, as stated you only "lose 1 point" for doing something entirely new, but people are still free to do non-Epic and even non-Xmas based maps.

However, I must be honest and say I don't like that aspect that much either but it won't really affect the simple map I am about to do, but well, probably this can actually bring original ideas to original Epic maps, who knows?
SnowFaced by FnB is a nice example of that, as is Creavion's Morbias][ (I think it was its name, I don't remember well).
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

you can still make your own layout but give it the feeling of an epic map.
or am I wrong here?
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Feralidragon wrote:No one is banning anyone from the contest if a non-Epic based map is made, as stated you only "lose 1 point" for doing something entirely new
In my books, this is banning. Why should I participate in a contest, when I have already lost a point right at the beginning?
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

ASLYE702 wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote:
Only I know how do the texture and the sounds... Import, MyLevel package and done!

Isnt that hard to do... but here you go :wink:

So if the file is "ThisIsAwesome.u" then it will be: obj load file=ThisIsAwesome.u Package=MyLevel
Attachments
Example.jpg
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

Looks like this 'little contest' is getting some big attention:) Sadly i wont have the time to join in. xmas is my busy time for work (at work more than home)
i wish all you guys luck and fun...cant wait to see these maps:)
In a world of billions, why are there people still alone?
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

pah, Rev you powergaming whore, you made these maps in just two weeks a couple of years ago. :D
Anyway, cratch that epic maps rule. Originality always was spot on, and there's no point in more epic styled maps.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

@Revelation and Swanky: I know that that EPIC rule sucks for some, but quite a few people voted for it http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4307
I'm not exactly sure if ANYONE will get that perfect score, but like some others above said, you can skip that epic rule (-1 point).
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

GenMoKai wrote:
ASLYE702 wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote:

Isnt that hard to do... but here you go :wink:

So if the file is "ThisIsAwesome.u" then it will be: obj load file=ThisIsAwesome.u Package=MyLevel

Hey cool, thx GenMoKai! I never know why good this command window :ironic:
Do you know more usefull command? :D
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Revelation wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:No one is banning anyone from the contest if a non-Epic based map is made, as stated you only "lose 1 point" for doing something entirely new
In my books, this is banning. Why should I participate in a contest, when I have already lost a point right at the beginning?
Well ...it was voted by the community.
I can understand your objection to the limitation to re-use default maps but this is part of the challenge ...and you don't have to use a whole map ... what about to use the ramps of Deck16 only... and build around a totally new map. But every one will recognise the ramps.
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Well... point is that you punish originality with it to some degree. That's what I dislike about it. So basically I could take a small part of Turbine, swankyfy the whole thing in my transmogryfing cube and throw it inside my map to not have the point punishment. Apart from that, how can you tell how things are, or things could have been inspired by Epic's original layouts or architectural style? It may be easy by definition, but many styles are so similar they blend into each other or the scenery may be included in such a way you don't even recognize the original structure within the outcome (without readme consultation).
Yes, the community may have voted for it, but how is this "rule" being specified, was it even specified before the actual voting? There are many unanswered questions to that.

That said, I got the basic layout done.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

welcome Swanky and Rev - it's awesome you guys are here :rock:

i agree it's a weird "condition" - it hard enough to figure how to get snow and xmas trees into the map :/
i'm not looking to win contests anyways, i participate because i think it's fun to see what people come up with...

one month is plenty of time to make a decent map, imo. Might not be uber fantastic looking, but in 10-12 hours of editing you can have something well-made, playable and with nice lighting (as long as the "idea" is good and you stay away from complex terrain and those damn curves, lol :)

... you know you can use any ut or unreal map as a base - including 2003, 2004, ut3 even ... so i can _guess_ what Swanky might do - going to be a good one, i expect :rock:

... i loved those 1vs1 maps you made rev, especially the FoT ones - killer flow :thuup: maybe you'll get an idea and park the diablo to a few hours to bend some epic thing into some shape you like - i know we'll all like it :rock:

hmm... Stalwart really needs z-axis (fnb grabs all the ceiling verts and yanks them all up by 256) now this has lots of possibilites :satan:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***