{dFb}_IronMan Map Completed

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

{dFb}_IronMan Map Completed

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

I have been working on a Map with the IronMan movie as the Theme .
I have put a lot of time in this map .I am happy with the out come.

Has just a few texture cliches in the window but ,I have tried to work it all out ,but with this much stuff going on it will just have to be what it be .

Hope you all take a look and enjoy this map .Great sniper map and mini me or Ratz style .

http://www.dfbgaming.com/News106.html

Last edited by {dFb}VanQuisher on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: {dFb}_IronMan Map Completed

Post by papercoffee »

Any nice screenshots?
With screenshots will even "occasional customers" download the map ;)
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Screen shot gets cut off short .
Anyways .Your right Paper , better odds of people downloading it with a screenie .
I put it up on our servers last night for the public to play it .

People always looking for new maps , mods, etc... We make several maps a month at our clan site we just don't put all of them up for download.
I have about 6 maps this month alone we made for LMS on the servers .We make them to have fun and play but if anyone wants to use them , thats what we make them for .Just ask me or go download them from the server and go in change them up , rename them .
Use them how ever anyone wants to ,Once again that is why we make them .
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Hi VanQuisher,
I'm pleased to see people still developing sniper maps, it looks that only a few guys like working on it...what about new large city/urban maps for camping ? 8)
atm I'm a bit busy but I hope to complete soon the remix of DM-RUSHCityPro for sniper camping, I'll post a link later.

regards,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Cool . I would like to see it when you are done with it.

All we do is make larger sniper maps . We just got don with the largest sniper map in UT99 with over 150 player starts in it as well as 80 plus teleporters.
Drop by www.dfbgaming.com and check out ut99 map downloads .All sniper and a lot of new sniper maps there. I am always down for a good sniper map .
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

Did someone say sniper map... :idea:
Check your pm.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Attach the pic to the post as a file, then embed. The forum will automatically scale the view.
Shot0044.jpg
Ooo. That looks much better.

Are there any destroyable windows and decorations?
I have spent many hours adding windows and bot-pathing to sniper maps, as I don't get to play online.
I find the breaking windows help let you know, another sniper has you in their sights :tu:
eg. my edited CTF-ZeitkindPro and DM-Zaltag are much more "real" with cars and breaking windows, and movable decos like bins, traffic-cones, cans and bottles, etc.
And most importantly, without some pathnodes, there is no where to spawn zombies :pfff:
In this day and age, a deserted UT city with no zombies is just not on :mrgreen:

Love the look of this map. grabbing it now :rock:
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

No on the windows . I know a lot about mapping ,not so much on all the triggers and stuff like breaking glass. I wish I did though .

I did not path node it in this version just due to having about a 20 min build time without .Had I put the path nodes in it It would have been a lot more info in the map to compile .

I make most of these maps for more sniper TDM with real players on it for clan match based game play .

I still edited the skin here for the Ironman figure but have yet to put the final version of all the Ironman skins in the map.There are % different skins to be added from the movie I am currently working on for this map as well as a Ironman mesh that will use the redemeer as it's engine with a different weapons then the demmer has currently .

This is the version online now .I will have a full updated version in the future with the Ironman suit to fly around with .The vortex effect on the stark model table in the middle .The Ironman dude in the machine that puts his suit on and all the New Ironman skin pack with all 5 different Ironman themes from the movie on them .

Currently we are in the processes of updating all our old Maps such as House of pain ,Scarface, In-da-crib, etc.. Giving them a face lift with new items ,music,Textures. Get rid of the old TV's for the updated LCD or LED tv's lol .ETC...
But when I update the final version of this map I will repost It with a skin pack people can use separate from the map , Ironman dude mutator ,And I guess I could make up a new music file download with all the new songs we have converted the last few years for maps . I like the original UT themes but sometimes you need a little rock and roll to just Own some Noobs to you know !

Big doings going down !
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

The wrench/spanner under the jeep, needs sorting out, and I would suggest that the transparent wheel textures need changing (one is also "unlit") I set them to double-sided, so when you see through a gap in the tyre, it is not invisible.
BTW. switch on "radius" view and you can see the collision size on the bottle of rum is not set (You can have the bottle as a movable item, for a bit of fun).

To save time with making the breaking window/wall effect, you can use the windows provided in 2 packs.
WSPack1 has 3 sizes of breakable window.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/ws-decos
and the Silver Ibex low-polly street decos, have several examples of window config, in their included map (these are the ones I use most).
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... -resources
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Hmmmmm.
TY .I never checked the collision of the bottle at all . Just dropped it in the map . I know there is alot of little things needed in this map .
We got it up on the server playing it and finding a few things here and there that needs attention .
Hummer wheels . Man they have been a pain but I will for sure take a look at what you are saying .

The wrench on the floor is what might be making the garage door flicker textures a bit too . I hope so any ways . If not it will just have to flicker a bit .

I read up on breaking glass a bit . I will book mark the ones you linked too and check em out . I really think the glass on the stark model in the center needs breaking glass as well as the Ironman cases for sure. TV maybe . So much to do and so many thing to learn on some maps .

People I guess don't understand what kinda work and hours goes into making a map even in a old game like UT .
I love it though . Mapping is what keeps me playing UT every day . :tu:
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

The bottle is no problem. Just pointing out if you make it movable you will have to adjust it.

I started making breaking glass the way you are taught in the tutorials, but using the pre-made window decos makes it much quicker.
The reflections created with the multi-textures are very effective.
Using the traditional triggers and breaking-wall does give you plenty of options for scripting and SP games, but for disposable/breakable scenery for multi-play maps, I'd stick to using the decos (you also avoid any BSP issues)

The wrench under the jeep is missing the texture inside the jaws. There is a deco-pack that contains some pre-made tools. I'll see if I can find it and give you that as well.

There is 1 annoying error on the front-left tyre, that looks to be a pain to fix (good-luck!).
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Thanks for the helpful info .

And Yes the front tire has been a royal pain in the but to keep it from dropping out like it does. But all in all if thats is my worst problem with the map I am good with that . So many brushes I have mad just for that map I can only be happy that it has only a few small issues to deal with at this point .

But that is why we have a server test like now to make it all right . I am really glad you ave caught a few things I can address for the final version .All and all with the New Iron Man movie set to release in a few months , I suspect to see this map on several sniper servers . Going to make a clean version and a punked version for the fun of it .
Everyone likes the punked version of a map till everyone finds all the secretes in it then they don't like them any more ,Yet everyone says they hate them but yet still picks them to play .lol

Make a ultra clean version for Frag nation matches to use as well .
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Considering how complex this map is, you have done a great job.
The tire and that glitch in the skybox, are a small price to pay.
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Lol that was my excuse thus far any ways as well .
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Haven't tried this yet, but I did grab it the other day. Looks cool, though very bright. not that bright is bad, unless you're trying to hide from a sniper.

Pity there's no bots or anything in the screencap at a distance to see at scale... I'll do plenty when I finally take a look at this thing.

Have you tried making the textures on those suits of armor into a skin yet? They look familiar...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758