MH map request!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
lilly_ut
Novice

MH map request!

Post by lilly_ut »

Greetings everyone!
I am sorry if Im posting this in the wrong section!
Is anyone looking for a challenge? I am looking for an expert in making of a series of EPIC MH maps each in different theme.
I have lots of ideas for maps but I cant map. So... If any1 is interested heres what I need from a mapper:
- making a highly detailed rooms and outdoor areas, not just flat walls and floor
- importing animated textures (gifs) into maps
- good in lightning, dynamic lights, coronas etc.
- sprites!
- replacing monsters with other models and changing their behaviour
- monsters using different weapons from the standard ones
- changing monster names and death text messages
- adding modded weapons in maps
- ability to mod weapons (optional)
- able to use mirrors
- most importantly the Will to do it

When I say epic I really mean it. When people play them not only to just come in room and wipe the floor with the monsters but to be put to sleep :satan: in the bad way.
When entering a room filled with darkness, evil and hypocrisy if you light a match, darkness flees instantly. But you cant do the opposite... Try lightning a match of darkness.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: MH map request!

Post by Creavion »

lilly_ut wrote:Greetings everyone!
I am sorry if Im posting this in the wrong section!
Is anyone looking for a challenge? I am looking for an expert in making of a series of EPIC MH maps each in different theme.
I have lots of ideas for maps but I cant map. So... If any1 is interested heres what I need from a mapper:
- making a highly detailed rooms and outdoor areas, not just flat walls and floor
- good in lightning, dynamic lights, coronas etc.
- sprites!
- replacing monsters with other models and changing their behaviour
- monsters using different weapons from the standard ones
- changing monster names and death text messages
- adding modded weapons in maps
- ability to mod weapons (optional)
- able to use mirrors
- most importantly the Will to do it

When I say epic I really mean it. When people play them not only to just come in room and wipe the floor with the monsters but to be put to sleep :satan: in the bad way.
I am gonna keep the original post as quote.. just in case

I can already tell you this won`t happen. Neither you will get a really ugly map (if at all) or people will start joking to demand money (which is against the EULA of course and would not happen). See, requesting a texture, a script or stuff like that might work in most cases, but not a complete map and surely not on the quality level you are hoping for. It would be too surprising now to get a reply of understanding, since I have already experienced situations like this one a few times in the past.
Moreover it is always a little bit delicate to see "one post users" requesting like that. No hard feelings dude, but always stay well grounded.

Learn mapping yourself and you might realize this yourself .... one day... maybe.
importing animated textures (gifs) into maps
:omfg:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Haha, I'm sorry, but forget it... We all have our own projects. And we have so many ideas ourselves that we can't put then into reality as most of us lack of time.

But it seems you have the will. Why not start mapping yourself? :o
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

- Importing animated textures (gifts) into maps:
In this package a lot of gifts: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ga ... emote1.zip

- Good in lightning, dynamic lights, coronas etc:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Corona
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/level ... ing01.html

- Replacing monsters with other models and changing their behaviour:
Some monster: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Custom_pawn/

- Monsters using different weapons from the standard ones:
Simple: Just click to the monster -> Properties -> Combat -> RangedProjectile
Projectiles: Actor -> Projectile
Weaponholder Monster: Properties -> WeaponHolder -> WeaponType

- Changing monster names and death text messages:
Only you can change the monster names: Properties -> Pawn -> MenuName

- Adding modded weapons in maps:
A lot of weapon: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Weapons/

BUT +1 @ editor Dave
Im not really speak english but I learn everything from myself...
Here is some help:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=UE ... ackage.rar
http://dangerouschris.clanservers.com/T ... ndex.shtml
http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php
And take a look for the maps in Editor how works the things...
bitbasher
Novice

Post by bitbasher »

Just came to say that most of what you want there is trivial work,
so all you really need to do is find someone willing to help you map,
most good mappers wont build it for you , becuase then it would be there map :loool:

This is a lot easier then it sounds, actually it easier them most of the other things you want to do.
provided you don't care about them being masked.
gif are a great source for screens and animations

You need gifFrame and infran view , it will take Mabye 5 minutes per gif to import them into the game.
This guy has a video on how to do it
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

As some will tell you, while questioning my sanity, I edited like 50 versions of the same map. Each with different monsters and textures to give them a unique look...

...that and the original map was Gods awful sucky to begin with.

I'll PM you a link so you can see them.

I think you need to pair down a bit, like Creavion said. You can't usually expect both an awesome place and an awsome challenge. It's more often one or the other.

That said, best of luck in finding a mapper. It could happen!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
lilly_ut
Novice

Post by lilly_ut »

OK...Certain guy said "nice community..." so I hoped that someone might take it. As I said "a challenge". I really had high hopes because... Well nevermind that its too long to explain :)
If I had the time or the knowledge to map will I be here asking for it?
I realize that you guys have your own projects and I know pretty well that these kind of things take time. In some cases too much time. Ive had my experience in messing with models and textures for Counter Strike 1.6 and I know how hard it is. Especially if you want to make a masterpiece. Having said that Im pretty well grounded.
I appreciate all the replies. Too bad it wasnt meant to happen :) Anyway I will hang on here... just in case someone takes it.
Thanks and take care all :)
When entering a room filled with darkness, evil and hypocrisy if you light a match, darkness flees instantly. But you cant do the opposite... Try lightning a match of darkness.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Re: MH map request!
Postby bitbasher » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:17 pm
Just came to say that most of what you want there is trivial work,
so all you really need to do is find someone willing to help you map,
most good mappers wont build it for you , becuase then it would be there map :loool:

This is a lot easier then it sounds, actually it easier them most of the other things you want to do.
provided you don't care about them being masked.
gif are a great source for screens and animations

You need gifFrame and infran view , it will take Mabye 5 minutes per gif to import them into the game.
This guy has a video on how to do it
Can we do a LogoSplash with it ?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

lilly_ut wrote:I appreciate all the replies. Too bad it wasnt meant to happen :) Anyway I will hang on here... just in case someone takes it.
Have you tried any of these forums · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4160 · ?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
lilly_ut
Novice

Post by lilly_ut »

No I havent actually. With my limited free time it will take forever to learn even the basics UEd :)
And sorry for just dropping in and saying " i want this". Shouldve stated it my first post :)
Thanks.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

lilly_ut wrote: When I say epic I really mean it.
"Epic" is such a vague description.

I suggest you to write a concept for this map first ...no mapping experience needed for this.
You can think about the layout and describe it (a scribble can help a lot).
look on other maps and write down what you like and what should be avoided... make screenshots too.
What theme should the map have? This is important, because some themes are easier to implement and other themes are a lot of work.
You have to get a feeling for how much work it is to build a map... read tutorials.
If you got all this together with a good understandable concept ...then are you maybe able to find a mapper who wants to build your map.

Keep this in mind: you have to work for your map too. Nothing is for free.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

lilly_ut wrote:No I havent actually. With my limited free time it will take forever to learn even the basics UEd :)
Fine excuse as well as this "pah I thought this is supposed to be a nice community"! We all had to invest also a lot of time to learn the things we know these days. I mean, what do you expect, handing you over the knowledge on a silver platter or something like that? Like I said: We can not make any money with that and if we could do, we would most likely set a high price for that. A price you would not be willing to pay, since a complete map with everything you described is basically the "all-round carefree package". If you look around on other sites, you can see a lot of people posting own meshes also only for selling.
Furthermore keep in mind you are a stranger. Getting somebody else confidence is sometimes not that easy. Specially not the way you have followed. Most of us know each other very well for years sometimes through collaboration, which can only work if all people acknowledge the abilities of each other to get somewhere together.

Before I forget: If you really dont have that much time, you should not even bother to learn the old UnrealEd anymore. Pick instead the UDK, a 3D modelling software and a image editing software. A programmer would not learn an outdated computer language these days anymore as well. With the old UnrealEd alone you are not able to achieve anything, unless you are a highly skilled level designer. Before you are an expert several countless years might have elapsed and then I dont want to see who is still left over, unless something meaning ful happens. I would not risk it. So, to put it in a nutshell: Dont make an game editor - specially not for a single super old one - to your first priority.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:[...]people will start joking to demand money (which is against the EULA of course and would not happen).
Actually you can demand money. You wouldn't be charging the map itself, but the actual work time on it.
You can't sell the maps themselves, but the time put into them you can, since it's your own time you're selling and not the final product.

Anyway, on topic: yeah, this won't happen, specially if you're setting high standards for it for absolutely no reward. It's like asking a team to make a full AAA game for you and for free, things do not work that way.

And we all lack free time. It took me 2 years to do a single mod exactly for that reason alone, most of us don't hang out in school anymore where free time is a given, so as you may imagine we are in the same situation as you. If you want something done, help yourself and start learning the tools, as they're not that hard and there are quite some tutorials around.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Really? Anyway. Nobody in the right mind would pay something from the commnunity, so this is out of question.
About to be non-active
lilly_ut
Novice

Post by lilly_ut »

@ Creavion
I learned my lesson so all I ask is not to be agressive. As I said earlier I do know what is to make efforts into something like this. Few years back I was all about Counter Strike 1.6 and at that time I was unhappy with the player and weapon models. I had much time then and decided to start learning how to change those blocky "things" called 3d models into something nicer. So I did. Time passed and I joined a certain CS 1.6 community. The forum was full of skin and model requests. That was the moment I decided to help others. Time passed and one day I started to count the requests I had fullfilled and rejected. Numbers wont matter here. My point is that I must be very dumb and naive to aid others without wanting anything in return. Yep... Dumb me... Wont happen again :)
I do realize Im a stranger here. So what? Does that make me bad or something? I could tell you all the full story about my request. Will that change anyones mind? Doubt it.

BTW standards can be lowered in the interest of the final product ;) I have even collected and drawn some of the textures, chosen the music and sounds...
Anyway, on topic: yeah, this won't happen, specially if you're setting high standards for it for absolutely no reward.
A reward? Would a provocative photo of myslef do the trick? :lol2: Maybe I should charge money for all the things Ive done. Yep... X00 retextured and many own made models... Id be millionaire :loool:
Back in the days I always accepted challenges no matter if I failed or not. Ive left people dissappointed and I made people satisfied. For free. Oh dear God Im such a bad person :)

@ papercoffee
I do have a concept. I have in mind 4 different maps settled in a totally different enviroments. But I wont share anything unless someone gets curious.