Skewed Textures??

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
AliveTillFragged
Average
Personal rank: Semi-Noob Mapper

Skewed Textures??

Post by AliveTillFragged »

Excuse me, I need a bit of help on texture alignment, specially on tilted surfaces, for eg, ramps.
I just saw these in certain maps, which include CTFM-ExcaliburCastle where:
how the duck
how the duck
U see the difference b/w the 1st and the 2nd pic? the first pic shows the texture "skewed' !!! :???: :???: :???: I dunno how.
The 2nd pic shows the tectnique i use to rotaate the tex, and the slowly pan it till it looks good. its a damn bad process, time consuming and it often fails.

Please, cann anyone tell me how to 'skew' a texture like this?? Its on other maps, like as on the DMU series of maps too.[/quote]
TheLame
Novice
Personal rank: retired UT reject

Re: Skewed Textures??

Post by TheLame »

I don't know of any other way but yours too, what seems to be the difference to me is the drawscale of the texture, making the 2nd texture drawscale a little smaller would make it show a little more of the "light" in the top and bottom of the beam texture. I'm not aware of any tool ever made to ease this texture rotating? sry! But I can see the 1st texture is stretched sidewise, so it does look to me like there is a tool for it? as the textures it connects to are not stretched the same way. But again, it could be a mapper with greater patience than me :tu:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, it's possible to skew textures in Ued.
There's a tool somewhere to help with that, but truth of the matter is that it just takes a small command in Ued itself, check this page:
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/level ... uring.html
{dFb}VanQuisher
Experienced

Post by {dFb}VanQuisher »

There have been a few time I could have used this myself .Thanks for the post and link .
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

As Feralidragon pointed out it's a simple command, you just have to use the "vu" property of the command and you can skip the rest.
Generally I always use this it instead of rotating the textures as it's much faster and it doesn't leave any texture seam.

The fractional value to use is calculated simply dividing the height by the length. Depending on the direction you have to use the negative value instead.

For example in a corridor that is 512uu long and "rises" 256uu you will have to use "poly texscale vu=0.5" on one wall and "poly texscale vu=-0.5" on the wall on the other side (generally, since I can never remember which wall should use the negative :P, I always apply the first to both walls, see which one of them is wrong and then realing the wrong one. Note that the command is always relative so you will have to reset the alignment of the wrong one to default before applying the command).
bitbasher
Novice

Post by bitbasher »

there was a more detailed tutorial that was buried on the forums at unrealsp as i remember
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2488
AliveTillFragged
Average
Personal rank: Semi-Noob Mapper

Post by AliveTillFragged »

wow thank you! :D is actually just what i need, because i dont find rotating textures easy too :(

I'll check it out and see.
(generally, since I can never remember which wall should use the negative , I always apply the first to both walls, see which one of them is wrong and then realing the wrong one. Note that the command is always relative so you will have to reset the alignment of the wrong one to default before applying the command).
um, what does this mean?