CTF-FacePalm (WIP)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: CTF-FacePalm (WIP)

Post by FraGnBraG »

well i seriously hope it's not your last ut99 map, but alas, we must follow our interests and i guarantee you will find creative BUZZ like no other in UDK (I assume you mean the Full Free Epic UDK that gives you a boatload of tools and assets already for world building and game development.. the editor is pretty much the same as UT3, from what I've seen so far ... and like most of these new dev environments, after a little patience to learn and some practice you have power far beyond *anything* that can be done with ue1.

imo, if you really want realism or eye-popping visuals you might as well map using a more modern game engine/system. My son used UDK a few months ago to create an example environment for his uni portfolios, and the results after about 4 or 5 hours of work melted my jaw off :oops: Looking at my UT99 maps after that, well, you kinda see them for what they are ... Don't get me wrong, I still like ut99 and making maps for it - but it is ancient technology and it can't really be much more than that...

Although, imo, there are _still_ a lot of awesome looking ut99 maps, past and present :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

No, it is just not worthwhile anymore. The low amount of interested UT fans keeps sinking all the time, modders and mappers are mostly gone. Nope, just nope. Next year I can count all replies for map releases in general each on the fingers of one hand. This forum is already the most active UT1 forum as it seems, because people are moving here, since the other ones are already abandoned. It is about time to leave the sinking ship which collided with an ice berg surely already two years ago. Those who can not leave or are not willing to do so, can only blame theirself at the end. Everybody had enough time to see the signs of the times.

And all those crying now - active and serious modders like FragnBrag excluded - if you want to hold us then do something then make it palatable to us. But getting your's hands on something and then thinking "thats enough, more will by come by him/her/them for sure", this does not work any longer. We are also looking out for our own interests. It looks like the demand for maps and stuff is still there, however the supply is low as well, but lower than the demand.

I don`t think it is necessary for good-buddy-modders and mappers to "like" their work among each other (e.g FragnBrag likes my work, I like his work), however this is the exactly the mentioned situation. We are a long-established company. This is actually the job for those who mostly play the user created content at the end and considering the UT (99.org) community is growing, it is not the case. This is what people just don`t understand. UT however won`t completly die anyway, as like with even older games some very few poeple might release something within a period of time of 20 years.

Also before anybody starts again complaining in terms of content spreading: "People just don`t visit forums bla bla". This is NOT OUR PROBLEM. YOU guys want the stuff. We confronted the community a dozen times with that. Ignoring the problem won`t helping to remove it. Some people (prefer to) draw the consequences without protest, I still address them at least.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

yep shes dying thats for sure. like Frag-n-Brag Said , UDK is where its at.. I think that you have exhausted the full potentual of the UE1 Engine and what it has to offer. And now you feel perhaps limited.. If you are not careful (perhaps already a reality) you could get stuck in this archane technology and never progress to the next level or 10..

I mean look at whats available out there;

[youtube]KYJ0zl6jbLM[/youtube]

[youtube]9w5RHGBvf9A[/youtube]

[youtube]78e-pf-u4e8[/youtube]

etc..

Few things that I find limiting by these engines .. not sure about the newer ones .. is being able to blow up the actual buildings and everything :D

not sure why exactly but there are very few games that allow for this.. closest thing based on the older engines that Ive seen is RedFaction where you can blow select buildings up etc.

On another note; Many years Ago I had a concept for a game concept which I think would be cool. and that is a combination of The Sims / Second Life / FPS

all combined into one.. so multiplayer online game with humble beginnings.. players are spawned in random countries perhaps (or not so random) and need to work , make money and become something.. police officers, firemen , ambulance drivers, theives , robbers, assasins etc..

but yer.. thats another thing.. if there ever was such a game .. then mappers / mod makers and creators would be full time employed.. in this ever expanding universe.

;))
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Oooookeyyy ...can we come back to topic now?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

papercoffee wrote:Oooookeyyy ...can we come back to topic now?
sure jajajaja.. soz bro ;)

tend to switch tangents like nobodies business.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wises wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Oooookeyyy ...can we come back to topic now?
sure jajajaja.. soz bro ;)

tend to switch tangents like nobodies business.
It wasn't explicit meant only for you ... Creavion is also meant because this is his WIP thread but he did turn it into a debate on principles about UT's future.

I want to see the final map.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

papercoffee wrote:...I want to see the final map.
you won't be dissappointed :tu:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Any news?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

What news? I already said the map is actually supposed to be for the mappack, as long it won`t fail for some reason.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Ok so it's not released pack, Im sorry I dont have time to translate everything what you write
Can you give me a link about the mappack or this contest?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

ASLYE702 wrote:Ok so it's not released pack, Im sorry I dont have time to translate everything what you write
Can you give me a link about the mappack or this contest?
It is still supposed to be for Swankys mappack like already mentioned in this thread.
About to be non-active
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

:loool:
ASLYE702 wrote:\Im sorry I dont have time to translate everything what you write
Given the length of time between most replies, you have plenty of time!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Good news: I am releasing the map within the next days.

Bad news: Swankys mappack is pronounced dead (I got his OK for telling, he doesn`t mind), so it makes no sense for me to hold my nearly-finished-map back any longer.

Spare me with any complains, I am not responsible for it.
About to be non-active
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

How many maps from the now dead map pack are good to go?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Only my map is finished, nothing else.
For everything else: ASK SWANKY!
About to be non-active