CTF-FacePalm (WIP)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

CTF-FacePalm (WIP)

Post by Dr.Flay »

CTF-FacePalm by Creavion "Lord of the Jungle"
ImageImage
We have been a bit spoiled around here recently with classic remakes, such as the 2 out-standing versions in the Xmas map-pack.
Newcomers to the forum should check out this thread http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4417 and post http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... ng-contest

:( For me though it was lacking a Creavion map. But he has been far from idle though :D
Again he has been off into the wilderness, collecting his sticks, and rocks, and dirt (odd collection this guy has...and a very big shed).
Ordinary Unreal trees are not good enough for our Creavion, no. So he's built (or whittled) new ones (again).
Ordinary repeating textures, also not good enough, so they have been junked in favour of Hi-Res whoppers 8)
(Proper renderers WILL be required to enjoy this map.)
Hell even Unreal rocks weren't rockin' enough for him, (not rocking his boat, so to speak) so he's racked-up some more rock-like rocks.... Rockin' ! :rock:

While Creavion is busy in his cave, polishing his new gem (hewn from solid-rock), we thought you should see what's in store.
Well the first thing you'll notice is the new play-ground attached to the bridge.
CTF-FacePalm-01.jpg
This is going to provide a new tactical twist to this well loved map, which is the first time I've seen anything truly new done to the old UT99 version.
The second thing you probably notice is vertigo, as you look over the edge! :lol2:

When you look around, you will see that one tower lives mostly in the shade and is bare and lifeless.
CTF-FacePalm-02.jpg
As you run around the bases, this is more apparent with one base being bare stone and dirt...
CTF-FacePalm-04.jpg
and the other, covered in moss and life, with grass to play on (and picnics between matches, as the arena cleaning-bots scrape up the losers).
CTF-FacePalm-03.jpg
I think I'll sit on the little island and dangle my legs over the edge, while I admire the view.
If anyone pushes me, when I teleport back up from the planet, I'm going to be really angry :pfff:

Hmmm, Chaos melee matches will be hilarious, running around kicking each other off the edge.
Stay tuned, as Tarzan... sorry I meant Creavion, just has to beat UEd with a hammer to get it to create this.

In the mean-time if you have not played any of his maps, then you have not installed the excellent community bonus pack available here, so get downloading now! http://www.ut99.org/utr/index.html
There is also a Hi-Res texture pack for the "Antalius" map, which is a "must-have" http://www.uttexture.com.nyud.net/UT/Do ... talius.zip

The most recent map you can check out is FeelNaPali http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4007"
https://files.myopera.com/dr-flay/unrea ... lNaPali.7z
This is another smaller map, but you won't feel short-changed, as it is also another map where you want to stop and smell the roses.
Detailed undergrowth and a varied arena, with long enough fields-of sight for some good sniping.
It even feels like a warm evening as you gloat over your victory, whilst looking down into the valley below and marvelling at the evening sky...box.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: CTF-FacePalm (WIP)

Post by EvilGrins »

Why 'facepalm'? Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Palm... Kinda tropic... And a Nice funny name, duh! Love the screenshots
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

EvilGrins wrote:Why 'facepalm'?
...*face-palms*
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

EvilGrins wrote:Why 'facepalm'? Image
I think:

Anyway pretty nice map, I <3 Creavion maps, I look forward to the final version :mrgreen:
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

ASLYE702 wrote:Image

Anyway pretty nice map, I <3 Creavion maps, I look forward to the final version :mrgreen:
I hope you can bring a original touch to it ;) No offence, but my map was build from scrap (include the towers) But still, i like the texture style so far. And im waiting for some version to download and test it
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

someone should build a CTF-1v1Mini-Face][ lol

map looks nice btw. assuming that the indoors parts are not yet rendered correctly
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

GenMoKai wrote:No offence, but my map was build from scrap (include the towers)
As far as I know it's here the same.
Wises wrote:map looks nice btw. assuming that the indoors parts are not yet rendered correctly
Because those pictures are rendered without lights ...it's pretty common to build the architecture first and after this care for the correct lighting.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

GenMoKai wrote: I hope you can bring a original touch to it ;) No offence, but my map was build from scrap (include the towers) But still, i like the texture style so far. And im waiting for some version to download and test it
This is a rare thing for Creavion. He does not do re-builds. If you are familiar with his past work, you will see this is quite a departure from form.

As for originality, may I point you at the new area?
I've only seen new bits/areas in 2K4 versions,never a UT99 one.

As pointed out, the lighting is not finished, but by showing the inside of the towers with no lighting, you can get a look at the textures.
With the lighting enabled, it will be a lot darker inside.

You should also notice that there are no weapons etc. yet.
The geometry and texturing are the main point of these pics.

It has been suggested on another forum, that the towers should have different coloured flames.
The dark-side/light-side is the key to working out where you are. If you need more help than that, then you need help in general.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

ahh yes indeed good work. ive yet to see a face map with a backdoor hehe. that would change the whole dynamics of it?
also.. remembering the xmas face map with the isles and trees hovering in space.. if only there were something like this but reach/landable by tele ;) perhaps even have mini mayan/aztec type structures there with camping spots and nw3 deemers or some such things..

over-all very nice looking map :thumbup: keep up the good work. look forwards to playing it in the future.. rven adding it to public servers for others to also appreciate.
Last edited by Wises on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

ASLYE702 wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:Why 'facepalm'? Image
I think:
Dr.Flay wrote:...*face-palms*
I was wondering if it were more the classic usage...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Actually Wises, yes that's a good point.
I did half-expect to be able to use the floating islands somehow. That could add a variety of options for sniping and pickups, or just an alternative, slower but safer route.
The awesome sky-box idea and playing with scale in SnowGlobe, I imagine would have been part of Creavion's inspiration.
It is an excellent "concept-map".

I play Frag's Epic construction more than any, and it is easy to forget it is a re-build in it's own way.
Some of my favourite city maps are mashups, but you can always tell.
EpicTown fries my head a bit when I'm in an area I know from the original maps, so I was getting lost all the time at first...
OK. I still get lost !
Bit of a "cool-hand Luke" approach with the Xmas content, which may be unnoticed by people who don't poke around.
There are presents hidden everywhere, and most of the time you stumble into the Xmas-room, you wish you hadn't :satan:

Yes Grins :tu:
Both meanings are the point.
...It occurs to me that also Face-plant, would have been adequate.
..errr, but may have lead to some grisly pictures being posted ! :lol2:

Actually what would be nice is a jungle-map with the towers in the sky. You could rotate them so it feels like you are hopping up and down from the surface.
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Dr.Flay wrote:
GenMoKai wrote: I hope you can bring a original touch to it ;) No offence, but my map was build from scrap (include the towers) But still, i like the texture style so far. And im waiting for some version to download and test it
This is a rare thing for Creavion. He does not do re-builds. If you are familiar with his past work, you will see this is quite a departure from form.

As for originality, may I point you at the new area?
I've only seen new bits/areas in 2K4 versions,never a UT99 one.

As pointed out, the lighting is not finished, but by showing the inside of the towers with no lighting, you can get a look at the textures.
With the lighting enabled, it will be a lot darker inside.

You should also notice that there are no weapons etc. yet.
The geometry and texturing are the main point of these pics.

It has been suggested on another forum, that the towers should have different coloured flames.
The dark-side/light-side is the key to working out where you are. If you need more help than that, then you need help in general.
Most face maps have the same layout, that is for sure. But dont get me wrong. I really like the map and i've seen that small area on the side in the middle of the map. And it looks nice :) I like the idea Wises has for it. But Crev have to figure it all out by himself what is good or fun for his map

Still... like the idea :tu:
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Holy...
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Re: CTF-FacePalm (WIP) update

Post by Dr.Flay »

Well, many people would have put the weapons in by now, and be happy with the world.
No. Not Creavion.
Now the detailing and lighting has been worked on, and it is starting to look more like a living environment where we will get to play. I will tell you exactly what Creavion said to me, so you know where he is at.
facepalmex01.jpg
There are 3 different types of grass meshes, and each one uses 4 different coloured textures.
This results in far more authentic looking grass.
The grass meshes are unlit, and adjusted to the environments lighting, with different scale glow.
The original grass textures are by Epic Games.
Every piece of extra content (textures, meshes) provided with the map will be traceable to its origin (includes credits)
Most of the content is BASED on UT2004 content, however in most cases they have been modified or "refined".

Now to clear up what is going on with the skybox.
facepalmex02.jpg
Some people have asked about the skybox, so this is what Creavion had to say.
I learned some people did not understand about the skybox. As you might see, within the UnrealEd it is a simple cube + a sunsheet. I rendered the skybox within an external application by using the level textures which results in a togetherness of skybox and level. The skybox is not final yet. Some additional work still has to be done yet.
And... yes, team-colours and lighting are now being dealt with ;)
facepalmex03.jpg
He has started to light the red "living" side.
The ambient colour is mostly green, to keep the "mossy rock and grass" feeling a little bit. Foliage will come next.
:tu:
That's the shape of things at the moment. I'll keep you posted.