Dark polygons problem

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TheRoel-R
Novice

Dark polygons problem

Post by TheRoel-R »

I have been experimenting with sunlight a bit in a map I am working on, but there seems to be a small problem. Some polygons, mainly trims, are not properly lit.

Here are two examples: (Note that I disabled zonelight for these screens so the difference is better visible)
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/m ... 3408e3.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/m ... acb8f8.jpg

I have one single light at a distance that produces the light, and moving around the light seems to fix some polygons, but then again break others.
I already tried changing some some surfaceflags, but that doesn't really help either (didn't expect it thouguh).

I also noticed it only happens on trims with a small width (32 uu), other trims of 64 uu work fine.

It is not a very big problem as the darkness is compensated by a bit of zonelight; also these trims are in the area where the skybox is displayed, so these areas are not really accessible by players, so I could live with it. However, I wondered if there might be some way to fix it.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Dark polygons problem

Post by Creavion »

Try Bright Corners and/or High Shadow details.

If this does not work as well: Special Lit.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

Bright Corners and/or High Shadow details have no effect.

What exactly do you mean with Special lit? Just selecting the specialLit flag or lighting those surfaces with a separate Special-Lit-light (in combination with the SpecialLit flag)?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Special Lit lights only with special lit marked surfaces.
Apart from that I dont have any other idea. The engine`s lighting system is just horrible anyway.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

Was already afraid there would be not much to do about it. Thanks anyway.
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

I'd have suggested bright corners too, strange that it doesn't fix it.
The only occurrences where I recall having black surfaces are when the light comes almost parallel to the surface, generally I place "sunlights" in my maps so that the light they cast is diagonal to most of the surfaces.
Are you using a NonIncidence light or a normal one? Have you tried switching between them?

Without losing too much sleep over it a small special lit light and setting those surfaces to special lit is probably the way to go...
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

Bight corners is the first thing I thought of as that usually fixes these kind of things, but I guess I am out of luck.

I placed the light so it is indeed diagonal to most surfaces. I already tried switching between nonIncidence and normal, but nonIncidence makes it look even worse and more noticeable. Also, when I remove the trim, the "underlying" surface is perfectly lit, so I guess it is a combination between the direction of the light with respect to the surface and the surface being "thin". I already tried multiple light sources at different angles which solves it a little, but then I have to tweak the brightness again otherwise it will look too bright. Also am pretty happy with how the lighting is now, so I do not want to change it too much.
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Post by Torax »

Probably you'll need UT SDK with it's post processing. That will remove most of pain in your ass.
Only one thing - SDK is in development and testing state and who knows when all will be fixed..

*EDIT*
It's only my opinion, maybe you'll find other ways. I cant advice more, i'm mostly coder :mrgreen:
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

TheRoel-R wrote: Also am pretty happy with how the lighting is now, so I do not want to change it too much.
Creavion wrote:Special Lit lights only with special lit marked surfaces.
Apart from that I dont have any other idea. The engine`s lighting system is just horrible anyway.
select the light actor (light source) click the right mouse button and select duplicate ...mark this cloned light actor as special-lit. change the position of the light slightly to the right or left.

Select now all black surfaces and mark them also as special-lit... the problem should be gone.

I solved some light problems this way.
TheRoel-R
Novice

Post by TheRoel-R »

Ok I duplicated the light twice for special lit, moving one forward and one downward and after some tweaking with the brightness it looks quite ok now. Thanks all.