CTF-FacePalm (Release)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Peppers
Novice

Re: CTF-FacePalm (Release)

Post by Peppers »

Hey there,

So I just played the map and as an avid Face-Only player I have a few remarks.

1. The large tiles on the floor in Blue's base interfere with game play. I have trouble dodging because I get caught on these. Red's base is much smoother because these aren't there.
2. The large brazier's used for lighting interfere with vision. Especially the ones above the flags and mainly in the interior of the bases as these locations are camped a lot by defending players.
3. There are tons of BSP glitches I suppose you would call them along the paths between the bases. I can walk 4-5ft out and literally hover out over my impending doom of falling to my death below. And this is in multiple locations along the pathways. The outer and inner portions.
4. Perhaps a bit more lighting in Blue's base would be a great touch. Red's base is well lit and blue's not so much. It's hard to see.
5. The added architecture on the outsides of the buildings interferes with game play(Not sure if this was intentional or not)
6. The pathway in the middle feels awkward as one side is narrow and the other is wider and fills the space where it levels off atop the paths. I think the narrow side (Island side I believe) should be widened IMO.

Needless to say great map and I enjoyed playing it.

Thanks

Timekeeper
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Thanks for your comment but I don`t intend to change anything there anymore, not even the slightest thing.
1. I added them in order to give the blue side some more 'uniqueness'. Same applies for the rocks outside and the many foilage on the red side. There a lot of things which might fit in terms of 'fair level design'.
2. You mean the very top ones? I don`t know, like I said. I don`t play the game for years anymore anyway. I stayed as designer only. I built the map mostly how I think it could fit somehow and without to study any kind of "UT gameplay bible".
3. I know, there a lot of them (before FragnBrags doings there were even more of them) - but sry for telling: I don`t really care (although I would have prefered to get rid of them as well). BSP is a relict from the past and this is definitely my last UT1 map, so I don`t bother about something like that anymore. I won`t need at any point in the future as designer BSP for real anymore.
4. I cheched the 'Lighting only' to adjust the colors on each sides as best as possible. I also wanted to keep the brownish feeling on the blue side, so it is possible it is a little bit darker there.
5. No it was not. I just added them for some more details in fact. TBH I focused on max. possible graphics, details and atmosphere with this final UT project.
6. I know it is not symmetrical. The whole island in the middle of course is not as well.

The main purpose was just to release the map. Even in my "playing years" I did not like CTF at all, Face excluded for some reason. In terms of mapping additionally maybe because of the mentioned symmetrical reasons.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I quite like the randomness of spawning on the island.
It does not grantee you a super-weapon, if someone else already grabbed it.

I have had to explain the dark-side of the map else-where, as people seem to miss the readme and the point (or miss that the foliage is dead or dying there) that 1 is in the shade of the mountains.
I think if this was not a remake, people would not expect certain things to be "normal".

We didn't spend any time creating a bullsh.... I mean a wonderfully romantic story of the towers history ;)

Like how the Gods became angry at the priests in one temple, as they did some bad things....very bad things, involving under-age animals probably.
The Gods tore the temples from the ground and placed it in the sky, so everyone for miles around could point at them and shake their heads :wth:
The nice priests, who did not do bad things with the animals (or never got caught), pleaded with the Gods;
"Why do you punish us, and place us in the shadow of the mountains ?" asked the High-priest.
"...We didn't touch your damn monkey!" :pfff:

The Gods knew that this was true. They could not punish both temples, so they turned the floating island a bit to the right, so it could catch the sun 8)
They decided that this would be even better punishment for the defilers of the animal kingdom.

The nice priests chattered amongst themselves for a few minutes. :what:
The naughty priests grumbled and moaned loudly, whilst kicking 2 sorrowful looking men around the base of their now dark tower of gloom and despair. :nonono:

Holding out his arm, and pointing at the only other flat piece of ground still attached to this floating rock, where an ancient tree stood head and shoulders above the mighty towers. The High-priest called out to the sky;
:idea: "...uuuuum.... can we have that as a picnic area ?" :mrgreen:

The Gods stroked their giant God-sized beards, and thought that was also a good idea.
"Oh wise little priest, that would be cruel... but very funny." boomed a voice from the sky, "So yes you may have this picnic area you desire".

The Gods turned the island a little bit more to the right, and the priests were happy.
Well, 50% of the priests were happy, and 40% of the priests were now kicking 100% of sh*t, out of 20% of their members :mad2:
They kept this up for an impressive amount of time, until exhausted (and noticing the happy priests were now watching from the base of the tree, eating sandwiches and drinking tea), they went back into the gloom of their tower to pray.

The foolish priests spent the night plotting revenge, instead of preying :satan:
That night they crept out to the mighty tree, stealthy as someone creeping up on an unwary animal, and cut it down with Chaos-chainsaws :chainsaw:

The sound and the shock of the ancient tree crashing down could be heard and felt across the whole mountain-range, causing avalanches and massive loss of life for many miles.
Angrily the Gods put down their card-game and came back to inspect the damage.
Upon surveying the scene, the Gods boomed at the wicked priests;
"A curse upon your ears. We bestow the gift of an inner-ear infection to you all", "...and DON'T make us come back!"
And with that the Gods rushed back to their game of cards.

The devious priests looked at each-other in shock and amazement :noidea
"I can't believe we got off so lightly" said one.
"It's time for my morning dump" said the High-priest, and started walking out of the tower, but abruptly stopping at the entrance, staring, mouth-open at the remains of the hill between the 2 temples, as the morning sun crept over the hills and illuminated the scene of the night's destruction.

"Guys" squeaked the High-priest in a dry strangled voice.
"Th..the toilet is gone..." :omfg:

Over the following months, the flowers and trees on the dark-side of the hill started to die, and due to the cursed priests having inner-ear infections that affected their balance, they also started to die :noidea
Toilet related fatalities became common as the priests ran the morning gauntlet of crapping from the edge of their lofty prison.
The locals knew that "you don't go walking under temple-island in the morning", and
"If you're lucky a priest will sh*t on your head", and "If you're unlucky a surprised looking priest will land on your head".
THE END.
Anyway there you go, the history of the 2 towers.
It's all true. A bloke down the pub told me his Uncle had a mate, who's great-grandpa, met some bloke off a ship, who was at sea with a cook, who's sister, knew the man who's great-great-aunt, sold ice-cream to someone, who read it in a book somewhere.
So it must be true.

Oh and yeah I seem to be responsible for the evil-twin in Mapraider.
It auto completes as you type the authors name, and it suggested "creavion" an "utcreavion". As there was no icon/avatar on either, I assumed neither one was an actual profile.
We will have to see if they can change it behind the scenes. Also they should allow more than 1 genre tag (I couldn't decide between Ancient or Nature).
I do love that it gives Magnet links.
[url]magnet:?xt=urn:bitprint:ZI2H5KTV5PQNPE5METIEBZKLSWWGNXIF.WKTB44PU2FZ5BDWXF65KO64Z3AODECNI67DPHXA&xt=urn:ed2khash:1046c85d87ae4cac7ee45dbafb04864a&xl=55967390&dn=CTF-FacePalm(v1).zip[/url]
.:AE:.KiLLaH
Novice
Personal rank: RX Community Mapper

Post by .:AE:.KiLLaH »

I really enjoyed the opposite themes on the map; one base's foliage is alive and well, while the other is dying. The lighting was amazingly done as well, as it seemed the base with the dying foliage was in the shade and the other in thriving sunlight-- This was a real nice touch! This is one of most appealing and realistic maps I've seen aside from Kamah and Morbias, which I personally liked as well.
Good job! Sad thing it's your last map. I'm a fan.
RocketX Community Mapper
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

.:AE:.KiLLaH wrote:[...] one base's foliage is alive and well, while the other is dying. [...], as it seemed the base with the dying foliage was in the shade and the other in thriving sunlight--

Well spotted! It is exactly like this. I built and rendered the skybox with similar rates, in order to "melt" skybox and level together as best as possible, which was not easy since UT lacks of proper lighting and a sunlight actor for bigger environments!
his is one of most appealing and realistic maps I've seen aside from Kamah and Morbias, which I personally liked as well.
I would not say it is realistic. Within UT nothing is realistic, hence the name UNREAL Tournament^^
Kamah has a lot of flaws: Specially in the way how I used textures here and there. But as creator who improved in the last years I might the only one who sees them. :mrgreen:

At this point I want to mention: I still have the texture psds, which include several more texture variations (specially ground ones: Grass, Dirt...). As long as I am still here I offer this small service, if anybody wants to use the RGB originals instead. They would fit very well within ut2004.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK people.
Time to "put your money where your mouth is".
Our UT buddy "{UK}-=Scorpion=-" who runs the "UK-FreeRunners" now has the map in his list :tu:
http://www.gametracker.com/clan/UK-FreeRunners/
He also runs a TeamSpeak3 server so you can all listen to each-other going "Oooo", "isn't it loverly", and "race you to the picnic area!"

Better to DL and install before you join so there is no delay waiting to connect.

[url]unreal://217.163.27.135:7777[/url]
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Really? I never expected anybody to take this map on a server (because of the filesize). This surprises me a lot, thanks for telling.
About to be non-active
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Creavion;

Thanks for this. Rockin' map indeed.

Sorry to see you step back but this is a heck of a cool thing to leave us with!

Out with a bang... :rock:
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Last night I found 2 more servers hosting this map :rock:

**** JANE'S RX7 CTF SERVER ****
unreal://68.232.168.12:7777
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/ ... 8.12:7777/

****BLACKCHERRY*** STACKED RX'S RX6 ,RX7
unreal://107.5.42.114:7778

Flying around this map is awesome, and a must-try :thuup:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Creavion wrote:Really? I never expected anybody to take this map on a server (because of the filesize). This surprises me a lot, thanks for telling.
There are some pretty massive maps, that dwarf even your filesize, on a lot of servers. I guess they figure that anybody that takes the time to wait for something to load might as well find themselves in a really quality spot.

From what I hear, your map is just THAT good.

I find if you're going to wait for a big map to load, it's good to keep something handy to read near your computer.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hehe, and be thankful that my DJ friends couldn't think of a suitable remix of Crev's chosen music, or it would have added another 4-8MB

Maybe it's my age, but I now can't play the original Facing Worlds, without the rotation of the sky making me feel sick.
I had a blast in the Christmas SnowGlobe version over at Captain Hook's ship the other night, and I just don't get why the purists prefer the original :noidea
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, i played it.

2 things:
1) I loved it but I might be missing something. Is that side spot, middle of the map and off the beaten path, where you often spawn into the game, the only thing like that? A lot of CTF maps if there's something on one side there's usually something similar on the other. Am i not seeing the other?

2) This is no big deal, i just found it interesting. Using the flamethrower from NW3 you can normally burn trees and other things on the map other than players. On your map here, the flamethrower doesn't effect the trees, plants, or other various foiliage anywhere on there. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Love the map!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

1) The single extra island, mimics the randomness of nature, or if you read my little story above, the randomness of a Godly rage.
Making the geometry balance, would be a very human thing to do.
It has not been carved by men, but torn from the ground.

2) interesting ! Wish I had tried during the beta test.
It will be a tag on the decorations (probably the destroyable tag)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

EvilGrins wrote: 2) This is no big deal, i just found it interesting. Using the flamethrower from NW3 you can normally burn trees and other things on the map other than players. On your map here, the flamethrower doesn't effect the trees, plants, or other various foiliage anywhere on there. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Probably because the trees may have bStatic=False instead of True, and they are not subclassed from Decoration (just assuming, have yet to check).
The flametracker only flames up certain things: static objects, most decoration (except a few) and pawns.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Going to DL this tonight. Hopefully it is suitable for siege :tu: