Disappearing Movers

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Disappearing Movers

Post by Feralidragon »

I have this doubt since i started to map for UT, but I coudn't get it answered at any forum :|

So, there's the big question: Why sometimes the Mover polys disappear? :?: :?: :?:

And how to solve this? :mrgreen:

(This often happens when i add a 4 or more movers placed closer of eachothers)
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Re: Disappearing Movers

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

This happened to me today, 4 door movers :tongue: Apparently it is some sort of engine limitation? Not sure..
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yeah, but this doesn't happen when the movers are distant of eachother, it only happens when you place them close to eachother, and it happens randomly during the game.

I know about collision issues about them (I even wrote a tutorial about how to solve that), but graphically issues... I don't know why they happen and how to solve them... (maybe a graphical setting that has to be enabled or so, I really don't know).

Or maybe is the position of them relative to the level geometry, as movers are brushes too...

I thought of many possible reasons, each one more dum than the other... I just don't know and I would like to know how to solve that, or if it is possible to solve.
shadow342
Average
Personal rank: UT map maker

Post by shadow342 »

order all of the movers from first to last. It shouldn't happen anymore.
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

isn't there also a problem rendering alot in one place with some graphics cards? Just heard this once somewhere, not sure if its true or not tho
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

NinjaNali wrote:isn't there also a problem rendering alot in one place with some graphics cards? Just heard this once somewhere, not sure if its true or not tho
Well, I think that's not the problem, because I tried a map with those mover problems in different computers, and each with a different graphic card (with low end and high end), and the problem it's still there.

@shadow342: Thanks, that solves a lot indeed :D , but some movers lose still some polys, but it might because some movers are too detailed (and I think there's a vertex limit too). Thanks :tu:
iDragula

Hi, buddy, thanks for your article.

Post by iDragula »

this article help me a lot, I am very aprreciated for it. thank you very much.
basics
Experienced
Personal rank: game server admin

Post by basics »

shadow342 wrote:order all of the movers from first to last. It shouldn't happen anymore.
i would select all movers and do this to..order to last then show textures and reset texture size.
render save and try it.
should be solved.
if not upload ur map on a server and let us see it for our selfs.
best is make movers not to mutch polys .
cheers.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

basics wrote:
shadow342 wrote:order all of the movers from first to last. It shouldn't happen anymore.
i would select all movers and do this to..order to last then show textures and reset texture size.
render save and try it.
should be solved.
if not upload ur map on a server and let us see it for our selfs.
best is make movers not to mutch polys .
cheers.
Thanks, but like I said, the mover was a little complex, and the map don't worth that much worry, but I asked anyway due to future maps, and already apllied the shadow342 way (movers as the last thing), and that work great while the mover stays simple, and with not too much movers next to it, or touching.

But thanks by that tip, I will consider it in my next maps.