Destructibles

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Destructibles

Post by JackGriffin »

The demo map was horribly unstable but that was due to using a bad version of the game to compile it. The destructibles classes themselves are fine to use and are no more unstable than any other mover.

You can make them touch each other but due to the engine's way of building the BSP tree it will cause faces to possibly not render if they touch, or they can blink in and out depending on the person's angle that they are looking at them.

There are bound to be better ways to do this and anyone is totally welcome to take this and go on with it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

hey again :), one thingy. when I placed a Destructible Stone with DamageTreshold=70 even a few shots with Enforcer can break it.. I dont think that I set up something wrong :).
IIRC normal movers do not accumulate damage taken, damage must be equal or greater to cause effect (or maybe I wrong here ;p).
I want to place a 'hard materials' only destroyable by given amount of damage at the same time, something like concrete walls or smth destroyable but with no ripper or enforcer :p
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hook wrote:I am surprised something like this hasn't been made yet - good idea, and good job! :gj:
Someone did, years ago. I used to have it... but apparently not anymore.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Any plans to update ? :p great mod it is, how about making damage not accumulate? - like normal movers, this should be optional and allow to greater control over 'Destructibles' :)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It's all yours if you want to continue forward or make any changes. To be honest the mover class itself is just too primitive to do much with. It has weird effects on the bsp rendering, player view occlusion, and collision especially if you put several together or they (God forbid) touch each other. Destructibles is 'kinda' nice but it's limited in scope because of the engine. Keep things simple and it will do just fine though.

About the damage, that wouldn't be much trouble to change. I could provide you the code nugget you'd need to make the changes in your map if you want to explain to me what behavior you'd want altered.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Hmm. . Im set DamageThreshold to some value, like 80. And now a few shoots from Enforcer can break this mover.
All I need is old mover behaviour when damage is not stored/accumulated on individual 'destructible' and only way to destroy it is when damage is 80 or greater.
Also when destructible is set to TriggerOpenTimed he appear on key0 after destroying, thats normal - but damage is stored too, and I need to reset it after reappear in key0 so taking 1 dmg do not cause destructible to break again.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If the trigger needs the settings changed, try the propertychanger actor. If it's mover settings, it won't work.

If people would start incorporating that into maps you will be very happy, I am so glad he made that thing, can't remember his name, oh it was Pcube.
It can help tons of issues, tons !!!!
Binary Space Partitioning