Statues, take 2

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Statues, take 2

Post by EvilGrins »

Wanted to revisit this:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1063

I have a map called DM-Hall-Of-Legends that is a great map for fighting in. There's statues all over the place in it, but they're of the typical player models: Soldiers & Commandos...

...more than a few times playing in there I've worried they were gonna jump off their pedestals and attack me.

How do I go about making statues out of anything creature, model, or whatever from what UT has to offer?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Re: Statues, take 2

Post by UTDeath »

Well, how about you check the code of some decorations, like the Nali Statues and check if you can change the mesh, and just use whatever mesh you want so they will look like whatever you want but they will still be just statues :Tu:
You cannot kill what is already dead.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

1 - Take an already existing statue
2 - Choose the statue mesh you want from the mesh browser and assign to the Mesh property of that statue
3 - Choose the statue texture you want from the texture browser and assign it to some or all MultiSkins entries
4 - ???
5 - Profit
:wink:

In case you're lost in the mesh part or want a specific one, you can check the class which already uses that mesh, copy it from the Mesh property of said class and paste it in the Mesh property of your statue.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

One important thing is to also set the animationsequence if you want to be more convincing and not having a default one.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

place a mesh (decoration->chair)
go to properties->display->mesh and click the ... button
choose the mesh you want (skaarjw for example)
go back to the properties and click use
make sure the correct textures are on the mesh, if not then change the (multi)skin under display
you can change animation stance by typing an animationsequence name under Display->animSequence (for example Breath for skaarjw)
you can see the available animation sequences in the meshbrowser
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Randomly related, is there a way to make it so that statues move?

Always thought, on some maps, that at points a statue seemed more thhreatening than it did at other points... as though it were going to jump own and pound me or something.
Jetlag
Average
Personal rank: Core Raider

Post by Jetlag »

Yes you can the statue move.. Example: Statue with the default player models can do gestures. Taunt, pelvic thrusts, wave, victory.. You have to edit the script. I don't know if it is possible for a statue to jump at you and pound you.. Maybe possible to have it crush you as a mover? Idk?
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

yes it's possible to make a statue loop an animation or move it.
I made a little script for it some time ago, but I don't have it atm. If you look at the CTF bedrooms you will see playermodels looping an animation.
If you want to move a mesh you can use movers and attach the mesh to the mover.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I started this thread so I believe the rules mean I can jumpstart it.
Jetlag wrote:I don't know if it is possible for a statue to jump at you and pound you..
Not to kick a dead horse, but I was goofing around on youtube and found something that reminded me of this thread. There's this map, which I do have at home but am blanking on the name just now, in MonsterHunt. It's one of those big 1 room with many monsters coming at you sort of deals... but 1 interesting aspect is that there's jade statues in there that after a few minutes start attacking you.
[youtube]Mz_ekxMYWjw[/youtube]
About 3:40 in you'll see the statues clearly, at 5 minutes the statues are attacking anything that moves.

So, back to my original query... how would one set it up so statues that don't move for awhile, eventually start attacking the players?