low grav fall damage

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TheOverLord
Average

low grav fall damage

Post by TheOverLord »

hello all.
I can't seem to find a way to lower the fall damage threshold. I've a larger map with lower grav. I have some platforms away from the main play area. the idea is to run to a kicker that bounches you out to the platforms but I always take 50% fall damage on the landing. what's the best way to remove that? the map floats in "space" with two zones. the upper low grav fun zone and the lower fall to your death zone. the fix has to be compatible. any ideas?

thanks a lot. its nice to be part of the UT99 community.
p.s. If there is a lot of errors in that post... I'm in the back of a bouncy car on my phone. please be kind :)
rsbloom44
Experienced

Re: low grav fall damage

Post by rsbloom44 »

maybe equip jump boots so you don't take fall dmg??
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

There are special jump-spot actor where you can determine start and destination points. I can't recall the name but I used one in my Community-X-mas-mappack map.
MorpheusPeak here get our map pack :mrgreen: http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... ng-contest
TheOverLord
Average

Post by TheOverLord »

papercoffee wrote:There are special jump-spot actor where you can determine start and destination points. I can't recall the name but I used one in my Community-X-mas-mappack map.
MorpheusPeak here get our map pack :mrgreen: http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... ng-contest
Upon reading a little more about the destinations I'm thinking that it's not the best option for this map. I have a series of movers that rotate around the central play area. The idea was to hit the jumper and use the low grav to navigate to the different movers that are rotating past using air control. It was just an idea I was playing with. I'm not sure how well it would have played.
rsbloom44 wrote:maybe equip jump boots so you don't take fall dmg??
That might be the quick fix to do what I want. I just didn't want to take the easy way out. I had some cool pads and made up. I'll toss some booties down for the time being and maybe I can get some better ideas once you all have a chance to play it. I'm sure it will need tweaking in the end.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

You can always use the swjumppad instead of a regular kicker
http://www.extremew00t.com/jumppad_tutorial.htm
I'm using them for a bouncy ctf map right now.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:There is a mod for that i search it

edit here http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... iew=unread
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

GEx wrote:You can always use the swjumppad instead of a regular kicker
http://www.extremew00t.com/jumppad_tutorial.htm
I'm using them for a bouncy ctf map right now.
This was the actor I did mean. :tu:
TheOverLord
Average

Post by TheOverLord »

Thanks everyone. I opted to just use jump boots for flexibility and ease of use.
Medor - Thank you.

Papercoffe - :)

GEx - That is handy. I'm going to add that to my list of cool features. It wouldn't work so well in that Thanksgiving map as the Pie slices were originally supposed to rotate around the table. I couldn't get the mover situation figured out so now they're just static now.

Thanks to all for your help :D
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

ZoneInfo includes a ZoneTerminalVelocity setting that determines the maximum falling speed. If you limit it to 1.4 times the players' JumpZ value (default 325, so falling damage starts happening at 455 UU/s) and it is impossible to take falling damage. Alternatively that would be the maximum upward velocity to give a player when kicking him up.

If that's not enough, you will have to increase the players' JumpZ during the forced jump. The easiest way obviously is handing out jump boots to the players, but it comes with the side effects of, uhh, having jump boots. ;)
A much cleaner approach, though involving some coding work, would be to give the player an item similar to empty jump boots. Basically it would allow the player to land without taking falling damage, but wouldn't allow the player to jump extra high.
TheOverLord
Average

Post by TheOverLord »

Wormbo wrote:ZoneInfo includes a ZoneTerminalVelocity setting that determines the maximum falling speed. If you limit it to 1.4 times the players' JumpZ value (default 325, so falling damage starts happening at 455 UU/s) and it is impossible to take falling damage. Alternatively that would be the maximum upward velocity to give a player when kicking him up.

If that's not enough, you will have to increase the players' JumpZ during the forced jump. The easiest way obviously is handing out jump boots to the players, but it comes with the side effects of, uhh, having jump boots. ;)
A much cleaner approach, though involving some coding work, would be to give the player an item similar to empty jump boots. Basically it would allow the player to land without taking falling damage, but wouldn't allow the player to jump extra high.
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks :D

I don't know any code. Maybe I'll learn a little as some point. As of now TerminalVelocity tip was just what I wanted! Thank a lot. I'll give it a shot.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

On second thought, you might want to set that higher. (I should have looked closer, the 1.4 factor only applies to "making noise" for bots to hear.)
Falling damage actually starts at 750 UU/s over the JumpZ, i.e. 1075 UU/s vertical movement. TerminalVelocity applies to the entire movement speed, not only its vertical component. Thus 455 would be far too limiting, considering that the horizontal component of a dodging move already is 600 UU/s.

TerminalVelocity not only limits downward motion, but also the initial upward impulse by jump pads. If the magnitude of your kick impulse is larger than 1075 UU/s, but it also contains a good portion of horizontal impulse, you should probably set the TerminalVelocity a bit higher anyway.
TheOverLord
Average

Post by TheOverLord »

Thanks, Wormbo. I'll adjust some settings and see what I come up with. I deleted the part of the map that required those pads and swapped it out for boots but I still want to add all the "special features" back into it. Once I get the movers to not glitch out when I land on them I'll tweak the fall damage. At least you provided me with the correct approach to mitigating the issue. I appreciate that.