UT99.org presents : Speed mapping contest 2013 - Dec. 27

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: UT99.org presents : Speed mapping contest 2013 - Dec. 27

Post by Red_Fist »

You guys should just extend the time, might as well, fix problems or finish the map, speed is one thing but quality is a much better thing.
Binary Space Partitioning
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Alright, Here is the final version of my map.

Change log for V2:
Fixed some BSP issues
Reworked the bot pathing (no more bots humping walls!)
Added sound to the movers and some ambient sound to the map
Added lensflares
Removed the Ued goblin
Last edited by memsys on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

I'm afraid it appears I won't be releasing this map (Or any of several others) for a while, if ever.

Last night while staying at a friends place in preparation for new years, the house had a break in, and my Laptop and other electronic gear, being in a single bag, was stolen. We've been in touch with police, and the laptop was a distinctive model, but it's the city, so I have a feeling it's unlikely I'll see it again. You may not see me here for a while, since I now lack the required faculties. I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and a happy new year, and please make sure your front doors are locked.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

zacman wrote:I'm afraid it appears I won't be releasing this map (Or any of several others) for a while, if ever.

Last night while staying at a friends place in preparation for new years, the house had a break in, and my Laptop and other electronic gear, being in a single bag, was stolen. We've been in touch with police, and the laptop was a distinctive model, but it's the city, so I have a feeling it's unlikely I'll see it again. You may not see me here for a while, since I now lack the required faculties. I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and a happy new year, and please make sure your front doors are locked.
Damn that's tough ...hope you will get your stuff back.
We in Germany have always locked front doors ...you cant nowhere enter a house or Flat without the keys.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

zacman wrote:I'm afraid it appears I won't be releasing this map (Or any of several others) for a while, if ever.
(...)
That sucks... well, good luck catching the thief, although the probability to find him is low, and to recover your stuff is even lower than that.
It's best to start thinking in buying another one, and perhaps with one of those GPS chips attached to it so it can be always located by the user.
Red_Fist wrote:You guys should just extend the time, might as well, fix problems or finish the map, speed is one thing but quality is a much better thing.
Although I would agree, it would be very unfair towards those who were able to complete their maps in time.7
Perhaps for the final pack for release, yes, but for the contest itself, it's fine as it is.

On another note, here's a few more WIP of mine:

There's still quite a bit to do, but most of it is just adding stuff.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

So... when will you release it? Should I wait for your map for the final pack?
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

I have Updated the map to 2.1 ... This should be the final-final release (I had forgotten UTtech4 is not a standard package)

Change log for V2.1:
MyLeveled the UTtech4 textures that where used in the map.

Last night while staying at a friends place in preparation for new years, the house had a break in, and my Laptop and other electronic gear -snip-
Damn :/ , I hope they catch the thief and find your stuff(even if that is unlikely) .
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote:(I had forgotten UTtech4 is not a standard package)
Can you provide the texture pack in the Voting thread please.
Everyone should be able to fix their maps till the final map-pack, but in the vote is only the map you made within the 48 hours limit. otherwise would it be unfair.
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

papercoffee wrote:Can you provide the texture pack in the Voting thread please.
Everyone should be able to fix their maps till the final map-pack, but in the vote is only the map you made within the 48 hours limit. otherwise would it be unfair.
Done.
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

I seem to be affected by obsessive compulsive editor disorder - I can't stop tinkering with stuff :P. So I decided to make another revision of the map, since I'm quite happy with the gameplay of this map and didn't want to leave it half-finished (I really should have waited some more instead of releasing V2 right away - to my excuse my brain was kind of melted after mapping in a rush for most of the day :P).
I mostly polished it up a bit to make it feel a bit more completed. There are some slight visual differences (added a jumppad near the monument (mostly for bots) and a small tunnel/vent near the Elevation control point, added a couple of details to the barest rooms, made the lighting less dark and fixed some minor texturing issues), but most differences are in the sounds (I added ambient sounds and changed the music to a custom one) and in the gameplay (added some more items, added Location IDs and made the bots much smarter/balanced). Now it feels more like a complete map :)

Now I'm not going to open it up in the editor anymore until 2014! Oh Wait...
Jokes aside, this is the final version, unless something really game breaking comes up.

I also made the DM version I wanted to release for the contest but ultimately didn't due to time constraints.

DOM version download: http://www.deathox8.com/Downloads/DOM-4 ... rie-V3.zip
DM version download: http://www.deathox8.com/Downloads/DM-48 ... rie-V3.zip

(...)
Sorry to hear that, I hope the police will find the thief and recover your things in some way...
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote:So... when will you release it? Should I wait for your map for the final pack?
Yes, I am making it for the final pack, I don't intend to spend much more time on it, I just had a few complications before that I had to iron out first (engine limitations, quirks and stuff). But now everything is quite solid, and I don't expect any major surprises during the rest of the development.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

LoL, well if they are making a map in 52 minutes I guess that would fall under a "speed" mapping contest.
Binary Space Partitioning
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

@Zacman
Change as many of your passwords as you can, as fast as you can !
If you happen to have the MAC address of the network interfaces of your laptop, it can be found when connected to the net.

Build your next PC in a big case so nobody will steal it.

@Paper
A "break-in" happens if you have locked doors or not.
A "walk-in" would be different ;)
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, here's the promised map:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hrgmk ... iandri.zip

Although I am not really proud of it, it ended up resulting in quite a failure visually and in other factors.
The gameplay idea was to have 2 far rooms connected to each other through several warp zones, but in a way that was not confusing, and in a way which worked perfectly online (no relevancy problems, hence the usage of movers in some places) and where you could attack or get attacked from literally anywhere, without dead ends in the map.
Not only I found out that warp zones are rather problematic with bots, during online play any warpzone put in the Z-Axis (top and bottom) inverts the objects rotation once they pass (offline/practise this problem does not happen).

Along that, the idea was to have a central open arena with some custom stuff on it. Due to performance problems (not much because of the custom stuff, but lots of nodes and polys in view it seems), I couldn't make it better looking so it ended up being something far more simple and far less eye-catchy.
Adding to that, the map has over 20Mb for no good reason: the BSP is simple, the lighting is no big deal either, and the only custom MyLeveled stuff there are the screenshots and contest logo, nothing more (the custom content is a separate 2Mb package). I am still scratching my head on why the map got to that size considering the simplicity of it.
The pathing is rather basic too, as I didn't bother much with it past this stage.

So, in the end, the idea was to have something relatively good looking with an awesome gameplay that worked online and had a really tiny filesize, and the map ended up failing all fronts, so what I am releasing is the aftermath of the attempt.

If it wasn't for the custom content that gave me some headaches, the map would be finished for the contest in about 10~15h.

On the bright side however, along the map there's a package to be used in maps if you wish, or to modify at will to suit your needs. The CSMCXExtras.u package, contains a sprite based coronas and lensflares system, a statue decoration system with overlays (although it can be used as any kind of decoration) and a particle system (along some presets such as snow, rain and smoke).
The package is fully optimized (fast and very low memory consumption, as the particles are never destroyed, but completely recycled instead) works online and processes everything on the client (meaning that the server is not affected by any of it).
I didn't build a manual for it since odds are that despite this it probably won't get used, so in case you use it and have any doubts, post them up and I will answer them.

Finally, some screenies of the map itself:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

got the map ...but will test it later. ;)