48 hours speed mapping contest = VOTING!!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Vote the best map!

Poll ended at Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:35 am

DM-48SC-GlaciemOtium
50%
DOM-DM-48SC-RedRust
23%
DOM-48SC-Reverie
27%

Total votes: 26

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

48 hours speed mapping contest = VOTING!!

Post by papercoffee »

Here now is the Voting thread.

Only 3 contestants made it through the finish line.
It was brutal, one after another dropped left and right and only three participants did stand tall and finished their maps.

You are Heroes.

:mrgreen:

==================================================================================
PARTICIPANTS:

-GenMoKai _finished 32 hours 30 minutes
-memsys _finished 47 hours 51 minutes
-DeathoX 8 _finished 48 hours 01 minutes

-Feralidragon _DNF
-zacman _DNF
-Metalfist _DNF
-GEx _DNF
-ASLYE702 _not partaken
-papercoffee _not partaken
-FnB _not partaken
==================================================================================
DM-48SC-GlaciemOtium.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dtt44 ... mOtium.zip

DOM-DM-48SC-RedRust.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/download/smcxa ... edRust.zip

DOM-48SC-Reverie.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6at1a ... everie.zip

VOTE NOW!! please
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: 48 hours speed mapping contest = VOTING!!

Post by memsys »

I assume we are not allowed to vote on out own maps?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Well... it would be cheap. ;)
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Tip - if you use textures that are not part of standard UT, be sure to also include them ;)
Voted.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Raynor wrote:Tip - if you use textures that are not part of standard UT, be sure to also include them ;)
Voted.
Did some of them havent all the files?

And also voted ;) Not on my own, really loved memsys his map. it had a very nice oldskool feeling that i loved. Although Deathox's map is also amazing! But sadly there is only 1 possible vote for it
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

One map required UTtech4.utx which isn't part of standard UT.
Edit: It was RedRust.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I voted DM-48SC-GlaciemOtium , it is very well mapped and has good athmosphere and the details are very well made. Considdering the time 32 hours 30 minutes it's a masterpiece. But does that time include the preparations for the map? :tu:
Retired.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Voted. Great work to all of you folks!!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

TheDane wrote:I voted DM-48SC-GlaciemOtium , it is very well mapped and has good athmosphere and the details are very well made. Considdering the time 32 hours 30 minutes it's a masterpiece. But does that time include the preparations for the map? :tu:
There was some preparations for the map that isnt included, but that will be just 1 hour max ;) just a simple cave layout i was planning, and the village came by itself later (i wanted to make a sci fi map first... but i could find the correct textures and i thought i wont make it on time then, So i played save)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

Raynor wrote:One map required UTtech4.utx which isn't part of standard UT.
Edit: It was RedRust.
EDIT: LINK to UTtech4

I completely forgot that is not part of the standard UT install but part of bonus pack 4 (I had 1 minute left when I uploaded the map) :roll:
I will fix the final package.
GenMoKai wrote:really loved memsys his map. it had a very nice oldskool feeling that i loved
Thanks, that means I accomplished what I set out to do!
My only regret is not having been able to come up with a larger layout (4-8/8-12 players).

I have voted for GenMoKai's map. GlaciemOtium is a well made map, a bit bare for my likes but overall the best map out of the 3 entries.
Deathox's map is amazing for it's size and layout but feels odd (but that is probably just me :mrgreen:) .
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I've voted...

GenMoKai:
Your map is nearly perfect. Visuals are great and you have many fighting spots.
I'm a huge fan of Z-axis action.
I played every map with MrLoathsome's UTU1 tweak but only on your map did the bots smash me on the wall before I got really in a fight. I got my ass handed to me every time I respawned.
I need a new mouse this shitty Microsoft crap is ...crap.

memsys:
Your map has a perfect nostalgic game feeling. It could be also part of the UT GOTY default maps. :mrgreen:
But this is also the down point for me. I doesn't liked most of the default maps, because there was nothing to explore and most of them felt too narrow for my taste ...everything was optimized for pure fighting, no distraction just run and gun.
Well, this can be also a good thing. :wink:

DeathoX 8:
Cheeses Crust!! ...such a huge map within 48 hours. Not bad.
The Game feeling was great. As I mentioned above ...I love Z-axis game-play. The control-points are not too far away but not too easy to reach. You see it but have still some way to go. Nice.
The only thing here is the visual part. Too much grey in grey ...I got lost 3 time on my way to the recaptured control-point, without noticing it. Well I was glad that the bots could lead the way :ironic:

All in all ...three very great maps. :gj:
And I hope they get on some server in the next time.
I'll wait for Feralis reply if he wants his map still be included in the final map-pack and will then make a pack to download with all last versions of the maps.

Maybe will their be another fun map contest in the near future.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I voted for Gen's map as well.
I was between Gen's and Deathox's maps, both are really top notch considering the time taken on them. However, there were a few things that made me opt for Gen's, those being: better lighting and the fact that Deathox's had a few nasty gameplay breaking BSP bugs near the monument DOM point (in one of the "caves" that access there, there are at least 2 ICHs caused by a BSP bug somewhere and which break the gameplay completely).

As for Memsys' map, it's also a good attempt, but tbh I found it to be too "blocky" and way too narrow for a good gameplay. Also, I didn't like much the usage of some textures (I thought some didn't belong), but on another hand there were some nifty details here and there and a very nice trimming which I liked a lot.

In the 2 first maps I greatly missed a good usage of coronas though which would give all maps a greater deeper atmosphere (in the case of Gen's it would be on the top of the tree and in the fire torches while in the case of Memsys' it was all the light sources he placed).

In Gen's map I thought I could enter the houses, but then again probably for a 48h contest that would be a tad much, but in case the map is reworked I think the houses should be able to be entered in, even because you only have a few of them (so the work wouldn't be much) and they would complete the overall atmosphere and gameplay of the map imho. In the same map, there's a cave with frozen water, and I think that it would have a mirror effect as well, even because given the place the hit in performance would be almost null.

In Deathox's map, I liked a lot the fact that it had a bit of a BT feeling in it (the slanted walls to access the DOM points quicker and all), but the falling water was too slow and the still water was too damn still, when with a simple texture change with a wet texture the water would be much better (perhaps it would even be better if it was translucent rather than opaque, probably).

I suggest that if you guys have still some time in hands, you could make a few more fixes and changes in your maps for the final pack.
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Post by DeathoX 8 »

I voted for Gen's map, RedRust was nicely made and pretty detailed (it really felt like a completed map) but it was pretty small and I found the gameplay quite cramped. Glacium was nice looking but on the other hand it was more repetitive and a bit less polished (the thing that I didn't like the most was the zonelighting), however I liked the gameplay better since it was more varied.

papercoffee wrote:Cheeses Crust!! ...such a huge map within 48 hours. Not bad.
The Game feeling was great. As I mentioned above ...I love Z-axis game-play. The control-points are not too far away but not too easy to reach. You see it but have still some way to go. Nice.
The only thing here is the visual part. Too much grey in grey ...I got lost 3 time on my way to the recaptured control-point, without noticing it. Well I was glad that the bots could lead the way :ironic:
Thanks for the comment, glad you liked the gameplay :). I'm a Z-axis junkie too :P. I agree that the map is a bit monotonous, but I chose the temple theme since it can generally look decent with less polygons than modern ones (especially with ChicoRuinsPack.utx which contains a lot walls with trims in them).
Feralidragon wrote: I was between Gen's and Deathox's maps, both are really top notch considering the time taken on them. However, there were a few things that made me opt for Gen's, those being: better lighting and the fact that Deathox's had a few nasty gameplay breaking BSP bugs near the monument DOM point (in one of the "caves" that access there, there are at least 2 ICHs caused by a BSP bug somewhere and which break the gameplay completely).
In Deathox's map, I liked a lot the fact that it had a bit of a BT feeling in it (the slanted walls to access the DOM points quicker and all), but the falling water was too slow and the still water was too damn still, when with a simple texture change with a wet texture the water would be much better (perhaps it would even be better if it was translucent rather than opaque, probably).
Thanks for the comments, I noticed those errors only after releasing it, I didn't actually give it a test playthrough before uploading it since I was really short on time (I rebuilt it and hoped that the BSP would be stable enough, but that didn't work very well :P). I wish I had a couple more hours!
In hindsight I should have made a smaller map instead, although I'm happy that I was able to complete it (mid-way in the contest I wanted to take only the cathedral part (which is why it's a bit more detailed than the rest of the map) and make a CTF with a small simple terrain in the middle since I though I wouldn't be able to finish the map at all, in the end I risked going with the original layout which didn't work very well but I had a lot of fun doing it so I'm 100% satisfied :P)
Maybe I should have missed the deadline by a couple of hours and released a properly playable version instead. Oh well, experience for the next contest! :)

I like BT a lot so I try to add as many dodge ramps, lift jumps, side dodge tricks etc. as possible in my maps, there are a lot of ones that are not so obvious at first (some got borked by the BSP goblin in the contest version though). Jump boots + Lift jumps makes for some hilarious tricks!

I didn't want to add the static water texture, but I was in a hurry and didn't remember in which packages the animated ones were :P (yeah, it's been a while since I last made an UT99 map...). Same for the GreatFire packages for torches, I ended up using a NaliFX.utx texture since I remembered there was a FX in the name somewhere. The water is already translucent, while I added the animated texture to version 3 (not changed the waterfall texture speed though, it didn't look that slow to me...).
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

papercoffee wrote:memsys:
Your map has a perfect nostalgic game feeling. It could be also part of the UT GOTY default maps. :mrgreen:
But this is also the down point for me. I doesn't liked most of the default maps, because there was nothing to explore and most of them felt too narrow for my taste ...everything was optimized for pure fighting, no distraction just run and gun.
Well, this can be also a good thing. :wink:
Feralidragon wrote:As for Memsys' map, it's also a good attempt, but tbh I found it to be too "blocky" and way too narrow for a good gameplay. Also, I didn't like much the usage of some textures (I thought some didn't belong), but on another hand there were some nifty details here and there and a very nice trimming which I liked a lot.

In the 2 first maps I greatly missed a good usage of coronas though which would give all maps a greater deeper atmosphere (in the case of Gen's it would be on the top of the tree and in the fire torches while in the case of Memsys' it was all the light sources he placed).
DeathoX 8 wrote:RedRust was nicely made and pretty detailed (it really felt like a completed map) but it was pretty small and I found the gameplay quite cramped.
I would be the first to admit my map is too small, But I could not come up with something larger then this (mapping block in the layout department :ironic: ). So instead of trying to come up with a larger map (and failing at it) I decided to make the best of what little I had and make it a 1 on 1/ 3v3 map (keep in mind I am not a fast mapper) .

@ Ferali, I would like to know what textures you think are out of place. The final version (V2.1) has coronas I simply did not have the time to add them in the contest release.

Anyway, my goal was to make a "finished" map in 48 hours, something I succeeded in doing! So I already "won" the contest. The fact that only 2 much more experienced mappers where able to finish only makes it better!
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote:(keep in mind I am not a fast mapper) .
I feel you bro...
I couldn't have made such a map in 48 hours like you three did.
...my Idea was a Mini-Face map with a joust like CTF. And only this would have taken more time to finish then 48 hours.