[Request] Old Content

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

[Request] Old Content

Post by zacman »

Hello everyone. As I mentioned in the Speedmapping thread, on new years eve, I was staying at a friends place, and unfortunately one of the individuals in the house left the front door unlocked. Along with various other things, my laptop was stolen, and I primarily kept local backups on the secondary hard drive, so I've unfortunately lost all my UT and Unreal work. I'm hoping the various people I've sent pieces of unfinished work and scripts to would be able to upload and send them to me, as I'm trying to recollect as much as possible. I should have a replacement lined up soon, as sadly the police have informed us it's unlikely the stolen goods will ever be found. Any assistance in recovering the files I can will be much appreciated. Unfortunately, the MH map I’ve been working on last couple of weeks and the CTF map I was making for the 48hr contest have never seen another machine, and are likely permanently gone. Fortunately, though, someone recently requested my unfinished "dead" projects a few weeks ago for historical purposes, and I should be able to recover a lot from them, but I can't be certain I sent everything their way, so anything else would be much appreciated. I should be able to grab it all in a couple of weeks.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: [Request] Old Content

Post by papercoffee »

Is it mostly mapping content?
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

Most of what I gave to people was textures and some .u files, though there's a spattering of maps. Hopefully, the lions share of it is still in Delacroix's possession, and I'll get in touch with him once I have access to a computer with Steam again, seeing as USP is currently down.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

storing files on a second hard drive in the same computer is not a backup!

Once you have a new computer also invest in an external hard drive(2,5" usb powered preferably) that will be used for the sole purpose of making backups.
The backup drive should only be connected when making backups or restoring files from the backup and should be kept in a safe location away from the computer.
/unasked advice

Anyway good luck with recovering you files!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Here is a link to my stuff, take what you want, or whatever.

Probably not exactly what you lost but !!! , files are files :) .
https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... JGd88GF4mo
Binary Space Partitioning
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

memsys wrote:storing files on a second hard drive in the same computer is not a backup!
I know, I know. I've gotten sloppy the last couple of years. I'll be putting a backup system in place after I get the new machine and my wallet is a bit more padded. It's rather embarrassing, as my job necessitates telling people they should have backed up fairly often (I work in computer repair.)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

zacman wrote:
memsys wrote:storing files on a second hard drive in the same computer is not a backup!
I know, I know. I've gotten sloppy the last couple of years. I'll be putting a backup system in place after I get the new machine and my wallet is a bit more padded. It's rather embarrassing, as my job necessitates telling people they should have backed up fairly often (I work in computer repair.)
as the old saying goes In Romania:
Do what the parson says and not what the parson do.
Fuzz_Ball
Experienced
Personal rank: Harmless

Post by Fuzz_Ball »

Damn, Zac.
That really sucks!
I hope you've changed ALL of your passwords!
All I have are maps you've made which I'll include here.
http://www.unrealfuzz.com/stuff/ZacMaps.rar
Let me know if you need any of the attached stuff for them.
Also, I have a ton of MH stuff I can make available to you.
Let me know and we can set something up at unrealfuzz.
* * * Image * * *
zacman
Adept

Post by zacman »

So, the new machine's arrived, and I'm in the process of retrieving files. Thanks to everyone who's sent me the various bits. It'll take a while to see what I'm missing, and I'm hitting up ModDB for the various mods, but if anyone could share their cache with me I'd appreciate it, it'd save a good amount of time when I get back to playing.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Sorry I can't be any help, but I really sympathise with what happened to you, that's a terrible thing to have to go through. I don't know how I missed this thread when you first posted it, but I hope you're able to track down as much of your material as possible. Best of luck