Good idea I think...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Hermskii
Average
Personal rank: Secret Administrator

Good idea I think...

Post by Hermskii »

I think that stargates and MH go together perfectly. It would be real nice to have a MH-Godz type map using these from level to level for example. It would be a great opportunity too to have people in a DM map suddenly find themselves in a MH map.

I think that if someone does this right, they could have a map that would cement them in the mapping community's top mappers for a very long time. I have no time or skills to do this myself but I think it is needed so time for me to share...

A long time ago my idea was to have a server listed under DM servers that was called "Learn MonsterHunt" or some kind of name that would indicate entering it would eventually get you onto a MH map. Then when somebody saw it they would possibly wonder about MH and double click to enter. At that point it would high speed download all the MH files that player would ever need to play on MH servers. Then the DM map would begin. It would be a path to a room with a screen like the one in the beginning of MH-Kitarra. They would stand and read and learn. It would tell them what a Pupae was for instance and then spawn one for them to look at. Then spawn another for them to kill and then a few more. This would work just like the DM Tutorial in UT. After that training room was done they'd walk out the only hall or a stargate looking type portal into the next room where they would then learn about Krall for instance. They would do this for every kind of default MH monster ending with a Queen. Finally, they would walk through a stargate type portal and be dropped right into a real MH server (mine) and they would play. They would have already been taught to use teamwork and all of the in the training rooms. Before they stepped through the final portal they would have multiple options of doors for instance as to which one or kind of MH server they wanted to land in. There would be copious amounts of extra info for them to join certain forums and all of that stuff too.

I have always wanted to set this up and I could certainly design what I think would be the best method for setting this up but I have no building skills and thus I never built it. I never mentioned except to a few select people this idea of mine. I worked towards this with Kelly for a brief period but he felt it would not launch in the end so he walked away from it. I've sat on the idea for years. Now it is time for somebody to do it already so I'm posting it with the hope that someone will do as I have described/suggested.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Good idea I think...

Post by TheDane »

I think it's a good time for you to begin coding? It's a good project to begin with, not too hard but not too easy either :tu:

I think these forums can give you all the help and assistance you need on your way?
Retired.
Hermskii
Average
Personal rank: Secret Administrator

Post by Hermskii »

And I think I may have to drop this into your wishing well on your forum with a silver dollar just to see what happens! Thanks!

Edit ------------------------ by papercoffee

There would be an .ini file so each server admin that downloads it could alter it to reflect information about their own server perhaps before the stargate sends them to a MH server. Even the MH servers should have the option to be changed. This way, when the servers shut down in the future the map can still be used by new admins simply by changing an ip address for the UT server for instance.

This ini would fill in blanks like hard code "Welcome to" then leave blank for ini line 1 "put in something like "name of server the map is running on". Then hard code "This map is designed to introduce you to the Monster Hunt game type." then blank #2 from ini "server admin's name goes here" then hard code again "thinks you may want to give MH a try.

Something like that. I have a million ideas like this to make this the best intro map ever made for a game type. The kind that would nearly "need" to be in the cycle for all admins who want to grow the MH player population. Also, a near copy of this map could /should be made to start or cycle with all other MH maps.

You know the rules. Avoid double posts please.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

A copy of my post at Hooks

So you want a scripted map, like the start of the single player ladder.
There are a couple of newer interactive mapping triggers/actors that could possibly be used as an excuse to develop something with them.
I'll find the examples after I've been shopping, and post them so you can have a look.

*EDIT*
Damn, one of them (Firetrucks) is Unreal227 only :(
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1370052740

However this one is available for both, thus allowing the same map to work in both games.
Unreal Computer
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2656
I feel that something that could work in both engines, would increase the chance of something being built.

A possibly much simpler idea, would be just to use Assault style fly-through tour of the objectives etc.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Hermskii wrote:And I think I may have to drop this into your wishing well on your forum with a silver dollar just to see what happens! Thanks!
Yeah, you can always try that just as well :tu:

Though there are more trafic here so your odds may be better here to get help :noidea
Retired.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Seems you want people to play MH, I agree, it's like SP on steroids.

But servers, (no matter what new game) can only serve the game at hand.

Now one could make a server announcement to go play on a MH server, but what you want is not possible.

Unless I read it wrong, but it will never happen.
Binary Space Partitioning
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Red_Fist wrote:Seems you want people to play MH, I agree, it's like SP on steroids.

But servers, (no matter what new game) can only serve the game at hand.

Now one could make a server announcement to go play on a MH server, but what you want is not possible.

Unless I read it wrong, but it will never happen.
I'm not sure that I understand what he wants fully too, but it is actualy possible to send a player from one server to another from inside a map, the teleporter can be used to do this, if you look at the code for it you will see it is prepped to do just that. So yes, the server can only run one gamestyle at a time, but you can have multiple servers running and then send the players between them this way.
Retired.