Mover glitch

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Mover glitch

Post by Acid.OMG »

http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5509

Still working on this. I just redid the movers without the trigger to test if it works.. It does but im having an issue...

The doors are diagonal-ish as the whole room is. I am able to get the width to be smaller than the subtracted frame but the height is too complicated as everytime i try to make it even it overlaps because of the grid. So I made it bigger than the frame and just deintersected.

So then I made it a move and it is glass so it does have transparency and unlit surface...

Here is my issue. The door works but if you open it and try to jump through you get stuck mid air in the doorway. Also if you try to walk through closer to where the key1 is you get stuck. Not good for gameplay as people will be getting snagged on nothing when try to run inside

Any idea why this would be? I dont see any bsp errors or anything
[/Awesome]
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Mover glitch

Post by Red_Fist »

Don't have the movers off the x or y plain, and the pivot in the centers. or click on a node to make it the pivot then redo the keyframes.

You should not overlap, make a dummy brush first, like a long bush the same shape as you opening but not thick.
THEN deintersect, make a nice clean raw brush before you make it a mover.

Also select all movers and "order" them "to last"
Binary Space Partitioning
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

Well this has nowhere to slide except into the glass which I can really help but overlap.. And the room has to be diagonal. God I can't wait for ut4 so I dont have to dealw ith this nonsense

So basically this map is pretty much a flop because the movers cant be off the x&y...

There is nowhere fr me to put this room where it wouldnt be diagonal

I dont think the issue is the overlapping because I did that in a previous map and had no issue. it would be the diagonal door.... Is there anyway to make this work?
Attachments
2014-05-14 15_15_47-Unreal Editor - [C__UnrealTournament_Maps_CTF-(~A~)DMT.unr].png
DMTWIP.png
[/Awesome]
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The problem is that mover which touch semi-solids or other mover causes many unexpected errors and unwanted effects.
And they don't like to be off the grid... or diagonal.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I mean to say the AXIS off of 90 degrees.

but you can compensate if you make your room have a ramp to the doorway for example to get the player away from the collision of a mover.
OR just make the mover go way outside the map, triggers only once.

Or make the mover go up down instead of left right. If I make a mover translucent I make it 1 unit (1/2 each side) so it don't touch any other brush, I make it 2 sided.
Not sure what you have, Merge polys, but 2 sided, high shadow detail, bright corners, seems to look good.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

what do you mean move the mover out of the map and trigger once?

I want the bottom door to open by playerbump. And I want the top dor to be team only open. If it triggers once that wouldnt be good

If I create a hollow section for the door would that help? Like for Key 1 so it doesnt overlap? Because if you see that blue border it does overlap that as well as the glass atm
[/Awesome]
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Acid.OMG wrote:what do you mean move the mover out of the map
He means, you should drag the mover in key1 (where the door is open) outside of the map into the void. That way can the mover nowhere interfere with brushes or pawns.

Edit--------------
Sorry it was key1 not key2
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Another thing you can try is selecting the entire map (all brushes, everything) and moving it all a few units in any direction. Once you do that then rebuild the entire map. The engine has a shitty way of building the BSP tree and often you can trick it into a better build. I had huge problems with BSP errors in the MHMVillage map that drove me insane trying to fix. Dane mentioned doing this to me and it worked. There was a complete reordering of the BSP cuts by simply moving everything a single unit to the right and all the BSP errors disappeared. It doesn't always work and it has an equal chance of making things worse but sometimes it does.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Acid.OMG wrote:what do you mean move the mover out of the map and trigger once?

I want the bottom door to open by playerbump. And I want the top dor to be team only open. If it triggers once that wouldnt be good

If I create a hollow section for the door would that help? Like for Key 1 so it doesnt overlap? Because if you see that blue border it does overlap that as well as the glass atm
I can't see or figure out what is going on from the picture.

But ya, if you make the open position, keyframe 1 go outside of the map far enough away to not have it's collision get in the way.

OR
You could make keyfram 1 be on a 90 degree XY coordinate by also rotating it back, for when the door is open. But will always interfere when closed. OK I think I see, just do that, make keyfram 1 back on the axis to the grid, it may look funky, but it will work when the door is open.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Before you get all crazy with changes take a look at the BSP cuts. It may not be the mover causing this, it could have some weird cut caused by the doorframe that's causing the blockage.
Acid.OMG
Adept

Post by Acid.OMG »

there is a small sliver from the room being a custom shape but there isnt anything i can do about it and if i cant get the map to work as is im probaly going to give up. I dont think thats it anyway because both doors do it and they are on opposite sides as you can see
[/Awesome]
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Acid.OMG wrote:there is a small sliver from the room being a custom shape
Screenshot please.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Movers are the great *yet limited* wonders this old engine has, whatever problems come up, they can be fixed!

Teaching and fixing, up for both challenges here!
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Higor wrote: Teaching and fixing, up for both challenges here!
Nothing brings out more help than "I can't fix it and I'm giving up." It's like a clarion call and most take it as a challenge. Post your map and it'll get fixed I promise you.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes it can be done, you either have to move the mover outside the map, AND rotate back to default axis for key frame 1. If it's off axis for key frame 0, UT won't do it, you will always catch a snag.
Even then, you could use a trigger farther away from the door so the door opens before you get snagged.
Then still do the options I said for key frame 1.

Try a sheet for a mover. attach block all actors, make them move away with the sheet, instead of "door" think force field.

I don't believe it's worth trashing the map all because you can't see the mover looking good for key frame 1.
Your call.