Vertex Tool is too fast in Ued2 :(

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
rtg
Average
Personal rank: the incredable kid

Vertex Tool is too fast in Ued2 :(

Post by rtg »

When I work around with the Vertex Tool it moves 2x faster compared to my camera and mouse speed, so its annoying and hard to snap on the grid. But when I use the Alt key in Camera Mode to move vertices, the speed is totally normal but its harder to work with compared to the Vertex Tool.

Any solution for it?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Vertex Tool is too fast in Ued2 :(

Post by Hellkeeper »

Nope.

Sorry for that answer, but it's always been like that. I assume you're refering to the fact that the selected vertices move either very very fast (when you make normal movements), or barely at all (when you're trying to be accurate). IIRC, it's something that you just have to live with. UnrealEd 3.0 has better control over the vertices, which makes it even more infuriating.

UnrealEd 2.1 is also affected.
You might have better control when trying to move vertices to positions where other vertices (of another brush for instance) are already located, by disabling Vertex Snapping (the small icon in the lower grey bar on the screen, with a single square vertex and 4 lines coming out of it, it is located close to the Disable grid button).
You must construct additional pylons.
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

The Vertex Snapping in Ued2 is so buggy that it should've never existed at all. I have bad memories from it when I was new cause I was working with Alt in Camera mode (The vertex snapping on startup is always on, unlike Ued3). The snapping accuracy was completely random, not only that it snaps wrong, but it dosen't allow you to edit vertices easily as they don't align to the grid, even simply selecting them without fucking up the pivot point is hard xD. That's why it's a good idea to bind the Actor Align command in Ued for anything you do.

When I was new I didn't looked up that much at tutorials so I never noticed that there is an option to toggle it, so I had to move brushes far away from my vertices workspace, rebuild them, move them to its original place for orientation and start editing.. Bad memories :(
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Hi. Never use this little icon as Hellkeeper wrote, this give only problems and nothing else. I Disable it everytime when launching editor.
Have you tried changing camera and movement speed ? (icon with three bars in left panel)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Radi wrote:
Have you tried changing camera and movement speed ? (icon with three bars in left panel)
:CameraSpeed: (had to use the new icons somewhere, right?)
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Radi wrote:Hi. Never use this little icon as Hellkeeper wrote, this give only problems and nothing else. I Disable it everytime when launching editor.
Of course but it didn't worked, but like Hellkeeper said, it seems to be from Ued2. I don't know if its normal in Ued1, but in Ued3 it's totally normal. Even in Ued2.1 its fast. I wonder if its good in Unreal's Ued2.1 version.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

@GEx: hehe yeah, but I wrote from old mobile phone and it is a nightmare posting additional content, even simple images.

@rtg: this is very strange. For me moving vertices in vertex mode is fast, but changing camera speed to low is working for me good, difference is big between low and high speed..
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Radi wrote:@GEx: hehe yeah, but I wrote from old mobile phone and it is a nightmare posting additional content, even simple images.
Uhm...the Icon Gex posted is actually one of our new smilies. (click on "View more smilies" :wink: )
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Yeah. I Know that. From old mobile it is a pain as I said. Old opera mini working like a shit.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Radi wrote:Yeah. I Know that. From old mobile it is a pain as I said. Old opera mini working like a shit.
Oh ...ok ...never mind.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

rtg wrote:it seems to be from Ued2. I don't know if its normal in Ued1, but in Ued3 it's totally normal. Even in Ued2.1 its fast. I wonder if its good in Unreal's Ued2.1 version.
The behaviour of vertex editing is the same in UEd 2 and UEd 2.1 unfortunately.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I do sometimes use Vertex Editing tool to make Terrain maps. Yup it is true the speed is very high that causes to inaccuracy and handling and also gives big trouble like to crashing maps. So I try my best to avoid them.

DM-NaliPort, I used Vertex Edit Tool in UEd 2.1 to make those Terrains.
Spoiler
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

I use Vertex editing all the time for almost everything because I got used to it in UnrealEd 3.0, and now carry the habit of doing anything with it; I almost never use the length/wide/height values of the builder brushes, just make randome cubes and then split/vertex edit them. The bad handling in UEd 2.x really slows you down, but for terrains for instance, it is indeed the best tool. Switching back to UEd 3.0 is always a relief because of how smooth it is there.
_naruto_999
Average

Post by _naruto_999 »

I think the word here is "sensitivity", as in mouse sensitivity. A good addition would be the ability to move vertex with keyboard arrows. Or, like UDK, have RGB vectors and you can select one vector and drag along that direction only while others are constant.