Problem when spawning every time with items.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
rtg
Average
Personal rank: the incredable kid

Problem when spawning every time with items.

Post by rtg »

First you should download my map (2mb) so you can understand what I'm talking about below (don't try it with bots, they are screwing it up): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak42raboautp8 ... ta1%5D.unr

I made my map based on the famous 1on1 warmup map in Quake3 called - Amphi. To get the idea how it looks like if you don't know, you should watch this video I found:

In Quake3 there are 4 spawn points (3 high and 1 low). When you spawn you get 6 weapons with Red Armor and Mega Health. Its really fun and useful for practicing control and aiming.

So I wanted to recreate it in UT, but things didn't turned out good at the end when I put the items, they were set up to respawn frequently (about 2 seconds) so you can pick them up every time you respawn. I tried to put them all in 1 spot so when you respawn you pick them up right? Well if they are in 1 spot when you pick them they will be automatically picked up every time they respawn whenever you are until you die. So I had to spread them in different directions, keep them away from each other as much as possible and testing thousand times to see results. It did worked without any problems in Singe Player. But when they uploaded it in a NewNet server they were picked up randomly, sometimes you pick everything or sometimes you don't pick anything at all.

Well that was a really long explanation, I hope some of you nice guys would help me around. I have no idea how to make it because that's just beyond my knowledge of UEd.

Thank you for your time. :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Problem when spawning every time with items.

Post by papercoffee »

Well... looks like it is a problem of NewNet.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

First off all welcome in the forum RTG. :D
I understand your problem, that's something bug if you put too many pickups onto a place.
Maybe try XPickups: http://www.ut99.org/utr/xpickups-gamer-manual.html or...
Make a room where you can falling down to a water zone where you set a Invisible Teleporter which can teleport to the Arena.
Set to the air the pickups so when you falling down you pick up the pickups, hope this helps. :tu:
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

ASLYE702 wrote:First off all welcome in the forum RTG. :D
I understand your problem, that's something bug if you put too many pickups onto a place.
Maybe try XPickups: http://www.ut99.org/utr/xpickups-gamer-manual.html or...
Make a room where you can falling down to a water zone where you set a Invisible Teleporter which can teleport to the Arena.
Set to the air the pickups so when you falling down you pick up the pickups, hope this helps. :tu:
Well I don't think this Xpickup would help tho.. I know what you mean about a spawning room away from the arena, but if you're a spectator you wont be able to get out of the spawn room to view the arena in full perspective :P. I want it simple.

Currently I asked 4 guys, that keep famous European servers, to upload my map to test it online but none of them is responding. Just wanted to make sure that the problem is from NewNet. I will report later if someone responds.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I'm guessing it could possibly Newnet if the map works in practice/offline mode. I don't know much about the coding to debug this process or anything, but maybe asking someone at global unreal (if the response is there by any luck, or here) to help review what's going on and see what could be done to fix it. Sounds like a bug to me.

Btw, try testing the map in other like ZP or just none on the server online to see if there is any difference. :)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Chamberly wrote:I'm guessing it could possibly Newnet if the map works in practice/offline mode. I don't know much about the coding to debug this process or anything, but maybe asking someone at global unreal (if the response is there by any luck, or here) to help review what's going on and see what could be done to fix it. Sounds like a bug to me.

Btw, try testing the map in other like ZP or just none on the server online to see if there is any difference. :)
I just tested it out on my friend's server with 20 ping and it worked fine (except flak, no big deal). But I have no Idea how it will react on people with higher ping like 70.

[UPDATE]
Outlaw just tested it with 300 ping and everything is working fine.. except the flack.
Last edited by rtg on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

The best way to reliably add inventory to a player is to spawn it via code, and the best way to give it to a player without the whole issue of weapon replacement nightmare (LCWeapons is the ONLY mod that solves this anyways), is to spawn the items in a hidden box, then queue a remote touch after all the items have been replaced.

I could do an edit of your map so you could test it with my method if you wish.
Secondly, I could turn this into a general tool where you can actually specify (via actor properties) which items should a player get upon spawning in a certain area.
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Higor wrote:The best way to reliably add inventory to a player is to spawn it via code, and the best way to give it to a player without the whole issue of weapon replacement nightmare (LCWeapons is the ONLY mod that solves this anyways), is to spawn the items in a hidden box, then queue a remote touch after all the items have been replaced.

Secondly, I could turn this into a general tool where you can actually specify (via actor properties) which items should a player get upon spawning in a certain area.
Well that would be awesome! Thank you so much! There will be no changes on the map.. I just have to cover up the tunnel from above because the kickers don't work on high pingers and they spawn on top of the tunnel. The reason I put them on the spawn points is to prevent people from crouching on spawnpoints and camp.

You can make it with all weapons and ammo + 150 armor and health
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

rtg wrote:
Higor wrote:The best way to reliably add inventory to a player is to spawn it via code, and the best way to give it to a player without the whole issue of weapon replacement nightmare (LCWeapons is the ONLY mod that solves this anyways), is to spawn the items in a hidden box, then queue a remote touch after all the items have been replaced.

You can make it with all weapons and ammo + 150 armor and health
I think I already seen this all weapons and ammo happening with LC on my server. :loool:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
rtg
Average

Post by rtg »

Higor just fixed it. Big thanks to him he is awesome!
Here is the link of his fixed version if someone is interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/583 ... gor%5D.zip
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Damn fantastic map! :D Pretty good for practicing mid-air kills. :tu: