DM-Arrogance (Arrogance Outpost)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

DM-Arrogance (Arrogance Outpost)

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

This map is a relatively complex DeathMatch map studied for 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 fighting.
Arrogance Outpost is made of two main wide rooms, so watch for snipers. Combos and Rocketing is harder. This map has a SGTech1 layout (as many people like such package) - Bonus Packs required!.
Arrogance Outpost is also well suited for mutators which bring lots of pain in large zones (e.g. Reedemer arena, Nali Weapons 3 etc.), but it's even better with classic settings.

Here are some multi-screenshots with some description which show how is the map:
Shot1.jpg
Screenshot 1 shows the biggest of the two main rooms. From here you can watch the big Keg O'Health, so imagine how wide is that area. As you can see, there's also a little of z-axis gameplay: this room is made of 4 layers (lower grey floor, higher grey floor, higher ramp and Armor spot, which will be shown in Screenshots 2 and 3).

In screenshot 2 you'll see the same room from another point of view. Here you can see the Armor spot, reachable through the higher ramp or through the teleporter located in the very left of the image (you can see better in screenshot 3).

Screenshot 3 shows the ways of reaching the Armor (both teleporter and higher ramp). From here you can also see the Keg O'Health, the minigun and the Shock Rifle (At the giant column's feet).

Screenshot 4 takes you at the column's feet, where you can see two passages (on the left and on the front): the corridor on the left brings you to the other room (ripper inside), and the end at the front splits its way in two: the one on the left leads you in the other room directly and/or in a big corridor, and the one in the right takes you in a higher layer of this room.

Screenshot 5 shows the big corridor above mentioned: it's two-layered, and there's a GES BioRifle (with ammo) and a Sniper Rifle (On the other edge, can be reached only through a lift, so watch out).

Screenshot 6 shows the other wide room: It's the smallest between the two, but it's absolutely not less complex.There's a ThighPads pickup between two MedKits and a PulseGun in the lowest floor. Take a deep look at the elevator in the background though. You can see a bit of z-axis gameplay here too, but this room requires fast movements, if you don't want your right leg to fly away searching for the left arm.
Shot2.jpg
Screenshot 7 displays the same room from another point of view. From here you can see a RocketLauncher and an appearently unreachable bridge. Now, do you notice why I told you to take a deep look at the elevator in Screenshot 6? A little of BunnyTrack basic skills are required to reach the nice bonus of several ammo, +25 HealthPoints in Vials and the ShieldBelt.

Screenshot 8 displays the smallest room from the biggest one (mentioned in Screenshot 4). This shows one of the main look features of this map: Special lights. You surely noticed those deep red lights over there right? They're not custom textures. They came along with the original Unreal Tournament. And they're originally white. "Special Lit" property and some light effects give these lights a wonderful dynamic look.

Screenshot 9 shows another of the look features: The sky. Arrogance Outpost is located in a desertic zone, and it's set in the night. Look at the terrible red moon and at the dark clouds: this should remind a little horror to the tournament fighters.

Screenshots 10 and 11 show the most useful feature though: the capability of the player to see from one room to the other. And this explains a little of the complexity of this building, in its simplicity.

Screenshot 12 is the classic Easter Egg: Arrogance Zombie, which gives this wonderful map its name.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: DM-Arrogance (Arrogance Outpost)

Post by GenMoKai »

Like the concept ;) but the lighting is a bit dull on the screenshots
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Clean and simple architecture yet some work on the structure, I like the look of it.
However, this is a classic example of a map which would benefit immensely from trimming the platforms and edges. It's especially obvious on screenshot 6: a nice border would make it very nice!
You must construct additional pylons.
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Thanks for the feedback guys.
GenMoKai wrote:The lighting is a bit dull on the screenshots
I wanted to try reflecting the red moon's lighting onto the map and make such light a little desaturated by the clouds. It does result in something like this.
Hellkeeper wrote:However, this is a classic example of a map which would benefit immensely from trimming the platforms and edges.
I agree. Making some borders would give the map a better look. I should put them in.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hellkeeper wrote:Clean and simple architecture yet some work on the structure, I like the look of it.
However, this is a classic example of a map which would benefit immensely from trimming the platforms and edges. It's especially obvious on screenshot 6: a nice border would make it very nice!
^This

...wanted to write the same but Hellkeeper did it already :wink:
The bsp structure is great, but the texture choice is sometimes unfortunate. You NEED trims and border to transmit them better.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

The Architecture looks pretty nice. But your lightning is not that good, especially I saw too much bright lights in screenshot 1 & 2.
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

papercoffee wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:Clean and simple architecture yet some work on the structure, I like the look of it.
^This

...wanted to write the same but Hellkeeper did it already :wink:
The bsp structure is great, but the texture choice is sometimes unfortunate. You NEED trims and border to transmit them better.
I'm working on it.

Trimming for this map is a pain, but damn worth it: I'm trying to make them as most homogeneous as possible, but varying between 32x?x? and 16x?x? (with 32 and 16 being the height, and the ? the X and Y axis variables) and having to deal with tons of slants (which tightest ends - the one which link one brush to another - having to be parallel, otherwise brush is not built properly) is a real challenge. A challenge that {S.o.W}DeathMask accepted. :twisted:
Rocky wrote:But your lightning is not that good, especially I saw too much bright lights in screenshot 1 & 2.
Perhaps I'll have to work again on the lighting. Thanks for the feedback.

papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote: A challenge that {S.o.W}DeathMask accepted. :twisted:
That's the spirit :tu:
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

So, ladies and gentlemen:
I've updated Arrogance outpost according to your suggestions (In particular GenMoKai, HellKeeper, papercoffe and Rocky) by lowering a little the lighting section and trimming the floors. Plus, I've made other changes, which I'll describe below.
Shot1.jpg
Screenshots 1,3 and 5 are the old ones, while the screenshots 2, 4 and 6 are the updated map.
You can notice the overall being slightly darker and with a more spooky atmosphere. You can also notice the trims on the floor edges on all layers.

Particular attention on screenshots 5 and 6: you can notice I've slightly updated that section by adding one RocketLauncher on the very right of the Armor section.
Shot2.jpg
In Screenshot 7 I replaced the Shock Rifle with a Sniper Rifle, and moved the Shock Rifle on the upper layer.

In Screenshot 8 I moved the Rocket Launcher from its previous position to the door on the wall bridge. There's the ThighPads pickup now on the old spot.

Screenshot 9 shows what I mentioned above: You can see the ThighPads no longer between the two MedBoxes, but it replaces the old Rocket Launcher. In the background, you can see a second Shock Rifle.

I forgot to say something about the ShieldBelt, too. Screenshot 10 shows how's hard to reach it (requires lift jump or impack jump from wall bridge) and how's easy to get shot/killed once you reached the belt.

In few words, This is the updates list:

-Lowered/improved the lighting;
-Trimmed all the floors;
-Added one Rocket Launcher;
-Added a Flak Cannon (Screenshots didn't show it, it's in the big corridor, on the lower part);
-Added a Shock Rifle;
-Added a Sniper Rifle;
-Bot Pathing;
-Added a song. Below a preview.

[youtube]ycalgvEl-KA[/youtube]

And you can also find a playable beta here:

papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Now does it look very interesting. :tu:
*Kr!D_o)
Average

Post by *Kr!D_o) »

is there a download link available?
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Way better so far :tu:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:And you can also find a playable beta here:

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

I will test it tonight. These changes look very good: the lighting is way more interesting and loses the oversaturated quality it had in the first screenshots (where it looks white/yellow ish because it is so powerful).
The trimming also makes everything sexier. Will definitely check it out!
You must construct additional pylons.