DM-1on1-Serpentine

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

DM-1on1-Serpentine

Post by Spectra »

Screenshots:

Description: This is a UT2004 map I converted it to UT99. It was one of my favorite map. This map will require high-end machines to run the map smoothly as I have inserted lots meshes in the map, that can lag up the game (sorry for that).

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4zl4k ... entine.zip

Enjoy!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-1on1-Serpentine

Post by EvilGrins »

Cool!

Although I largely played with in ut2005 with Invasion, not sure it will be the same without weird monsters attacking.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

You just got my vote for "most improved mapper" award :mrgreen: .
Seriously, how the hell did you get those snakes looking so dang awesome?! I never played the 2004 version, but I'll definetly try this one :gj:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

UnrealGecko wrote:Seriously, how the hell did you get those snakes looking so dang awesome?!
Haven't tested the map, but it's probably just the UT2004 mesh converted straight to BSP and imported to UT.
You must construct additional pylons.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

rocky, you have not included a readme file giving credits and sources for the stuff in this map... and who is SpEcTra_7?

i can't run this map, i get just a white screen, in any mode...

ut-goty 436 - plain old standard ut

noticed a bunch of things when i checked it the editor, but i won't comment unless i can run it
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

FraGnBraG wrote:i can't run this map, i get just a white screen, in any mode...
+1 :noidea
Retired.
Forum|User
Experienced

Post by Forum|User »

Hi,

There is something problem with the ZoneLight. Open ZoneInfo > ZoneLight > ViewFlash + ViewFog > Set everything to 0.000000
BuildAll and works fine everything. I think this map need some fix, The screen bug - Classic UT2003 music - Textures fixing - Authors fixing.
If not problem, I fix this problems if I have time. :wink:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Sorry, my answer is just a simple no.

Not everyone have a high end pc stuff these days.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Spectra
Masterful

Post by Spectra »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4zl4k ... entine.zip

Removed Fog and added ReadMe Text and UT2003.umx music. (Thanks to ASLEYE702)
FraGnBraG wrote: and who is SpEcTra_7?
SpEcTra_7 is also me, my 2nd ALIAS UT name.

Please send feedback whatever you found buggy or something strange in the map.
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Downloaded this map , its buggy, why release without proper testing ?
Map looks good, but can be better, it lags on my machine but not because of meshes, I changed bFogZone to False in each ZoneInfo and map run good now, and decals now are visible. Also you can do more optimization, on this map I reduced node count from 13533 to 8027.
You still made brushes in strange way, overlapping ones are most glaring in editor. But relatively you improved ;-) and I like this map. For two players is a good place to play :-) good work
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

okay finally got around to running this one...

actually, it ran okay on my "ut99" machine, which is an old dual core. Normally, I cap UT at 60FPS, so that's the highest it will go. In this map (which is quite small) it's always 60, until i look up at the snake (from anywhere) then FR drops to around 30 FPS, but only while i'm looking up which is only for a second at a time anyways. Since this map is a 1 vs 1 duel map I played it with 1 masterful bot and it worked quite well, except the bot behavior and pathing in general could be a LOT BETTER. The shield belt is a problem in this map - the bot always gets it and that's not too fun. Other things to note, the lighting could be a LOT nicer and more colorful (it is rather drab looking - too much white content). The texture alignment is terrible in a number of places. The snake bridge should really be rebuilt as multiple brushes, carefuly ordered, and poly-merged where needed - right now from the floor level on the side of the map if you look up at the snake bridge you can see 3200+ nodes / 1500+ polys - not really too good for the old UE1 - but that said this map isn't the worst render i've ever seen (that honor still belongs to dm-fot-Aarken, lol). I bet you build a "better snake" in about 500 polys, which is about as high as you should ever go for one intersected brush anyways...

So not too bad after all, and it was fun to play (brings back memories of ut2003, where you fight malcolm in this map, iirc :D

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Spectra
Masterful

Post by Spectra »

Thanks for Feedback FNB.

Like I said before. I am not that good at mapping. Perhaps I am still learning what a mapper should know while making a map.
I actually started making the conversion of this map 2 months ago, then cancelled it. Then again I reopened it and tried my best to make it like UT2004.

I have lots of questions about mapping, is it ok if I ask you?? I don't even know tricks how to reduce the node count of the map. All I know 2 tricks is that by converting some Solid brushes to Semi-Solid and by doing Zoning of map.
I am not even good at Bot Pathing. Don't know why bots sometimes don't follow the PathNodes properly. So I use Mind Reader mutator to debug the path problems.

Anyway, Thanks again everyone. ;)
mikaeolke
Average
Personal rank: new

Post by mikaeolke »

Spectra wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:41 pm
Description: This is a UT2004 map I converted it to UT99. It was one of my favorite map. This map will require high-end machines to run the map smoothly as I have inserted lots meshes in the map, that can lag up the game (sorry for that).
Hello, I'm impressed with DM-1on1-Serpentine for UT 99. How you do that? Can you describe a solution to convert. I want to convert other good maps from UT2004.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

mikaeolke wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:26 pm
Spectra wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:41 pm
Hello, I'm impressed with DM-1on1-Serpentine for UT 99. How you do that? Can you describe a solution to convert. I want to convert other good maps from UT2004.
You can do file=>Export in UnrealEd 3.0 to export the map. You can then import the bsp in UT99's UnrealEd 2.0.
For meshes, right-click on a static-mesh, polygon=> To brush, makes the red brush your mesh. Do Brush=>Export, then import in UT99.
The whole map should be scaled down around 0.75 in UT99 because UT2004's scale is larger.
You must construct additional pylons.
mikaeolke
Average
Personal rank: new

Post by mikaeolke »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:45 pm You can do file=>Export in UnrealEd 3.0 to export the map. You can then import the bsp in UT99's UnrealEd 2.0.
For meshes, right-click on a static-mesh, polygon=> To brush, makes the red brush your mesh. Do Brush=>Export, then import in UT99.
The whole map should be scaled down around 0.75 in UT99 because UT2004's scale is larger.
It helps me, thanks!
I have some additonal questions:
1.how to scale down full map to 0.75, with which command/tool ?
2.some actors are without collision, how to add collision?
3.how to import textures?
4.Is it possible to place textures as in original, or need to retexture from scratch?