= The 512kb MAPPING CONTEST discussion !! =

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: = Ideas for a new MAPPING CONTEST !! =

Post by UnrealGGecko »

All I ask is to not over do the rules, we all know what happens with that, don't we? *looks at the 5cubes mappack*.......
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...maybe I sound now like a noob mapper ...but can I check the actual size (kb) of a map inside of the editor?
I never looked after the size when ever I build a map. :?
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Nope, not that I know of :noidea

You'll have to go into the Maps folder and select your map, depending on your OS the size should show just by clicking it - otherwise go into its properties. Sort your Maps folder by date and it'll be right on top of the looooooooooooong list of maps :tu:
Retired.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Like FraGnBraG, I fully agree with TheDane. A theme that fits one period limits the interest of the map, not to mention christmas, halloween, etc. -themed maps are LEGIONS, it's boring. And when the time comes to decide who is the winner, the jury would have to play like 10 maps with the same theme. I'd be surprised they're not sick of ti at the end :p

EDIT----------------------- by papercoffee
papercoffee wrote:Ok ...maybe I sound now like a noob mapper ...but can I check the actual size (kb) of a map inside of the editor?
I never looked after the size when ever I build a map. :?
If you're using UnrealEd 2.1, there's a prompt giving you the current filesize when you save the map. Otherwise, you have to keep the explorer window open to check regularily.

Please avoid double posts next time.
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Hm.... ok Then should we stop the voting about the theme and discuss the restriction then?

Oh and thanks guys for the info about the file size thing. I thought I have missed it somewhere.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote:Hm.... ok Then should we stop the voting about the theme and discuss the restriction then?
I think that'd be better. Theme constraints are much less interesting for contests, the filesize thing seems to allow both more freedom and more constraint :)

(sorry for Double-post, didn't realize I was answering twice the same topic)
You must construct additional pylons.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

I think FnB brainwashed me... i've changed my votes to halloween and revival of 300k :wtf: :tongue:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I switched too...over to 300k, but I think it should be bigger. I love a good brisk map, but don't mind seeing some mapper panache. :)
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Yeah, 300kb it is a little too less :-P
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote:so maybe we could start our own "tradition", perhaps 600K and any theme...
Or because our forum file-limit is 2 MB ... the 2048K contest!!! :ironic:

We could also make it the 666k contest ...looks cool ...and we are not that religious here, right?
Maybe a 999k ?? ...I'm just brainstorming.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Personally i like a challange, 2048 is kinda "big" if you just use default textures ;) 600k or 666k for fun would be perfect i think. I also loved the 300k contest... But a quick question, if we do this? Is it allowed to delete all your brushes i your map? To safe some space?
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

GenMoKai wrote:Personally i like a challange, 2048 is kinda "big" if you just use default textures ;) 600k or 666k for fun would be perfect i think. I also loved the 300k contest... But a quick question, if we do this? Is it allowed to delete all your brushes i your map? To safe some space?
i think for a small size limit rule (like 300k - 600k) deleting brushes should be allowed for the contest entry map. A mapper could include a mapname_bsp.unr along with his contest map if he wants to give the brushes away.

I remember in the 300k contests i found the minimum object size (light actor, pathnode, brush or other such objects) seemed to be 1k.

So for example in a 300k map, if 30k is brushes, then you gain back 30k by deleting. You then have 30k more to use for lights, decos or other stuff and that made a big difference in the appearance of the map...

I always would aim for a design that might be 450k or 500k, including a 8k screenshot at the start, then chop it down to 300k by eliminating the truly useless bits or re-doing parts uber-efficiently to get the size down. Also saved a lot of K by doing super efficient bot-pathing and careful lighting schemes. It can make you go a bit crazy, lol! but you kinda get into an "efficient mapping groove" and you can sometimes produce a bunch of maps :D

Map size aside, the idea is to have FUN making them all and then play all the maps on a server - then the best ones will stand out and be voted - usually by the mapping participants, but whatever we decide - maybe the public could vote as well?

I'm good 300k - 600k range... anything bigger seems like that's really just a normal map...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...because it's near Halloween ... the 666k mapping contest.
Theme and Game-type is free to choose by the mapper.

This sounds great.
Carbon wrote:I will contribute a sealed big box Totally Unreal to the winner, postage paid, if you like.
Is this still up to date?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Seems we need a new poll then: what exact filesize limit should be used?

I vote for... 512 (half an Mb) or 500 if we really need a round number. Enough for a bigger layout/more detail, but still limited ;).
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

If that idea become real , then whats about 444 limit :-P ?