= The 512kb MAPPING CONTEST discussion !! =

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: = The 512kb MAPPING CONTEST discussion !! =

Post by GenMoKai »

Start with a cube :P Or just draw some simple sketches on grid paper
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Why not start with a dodecahedron?
Maybe there should be a dodecahedron challenge and judge the maps based on the best use of the dodecahedron.

Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

Amazing how quickly 512kb gets used.
Gonna be hard to stop adding stuff. These maps will have that "never got finished" feel. :(
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Myth wrote:Why not start with a dodecahedron?
Maybe there should be a dodecahedron challenge and judge the maps based on the best use of the dodecahedron.
heh - for this compo you could start with a futsal" map - similar to that crazy soccer map you made - only in a indoor gym with dodecahedron shaped futsal balls :) bet that could all fit in 512K ..
Last edited by FraGnBraG on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Looking through Fileplanet yesterday, I was reminded that many maps used to be this sort of size and even smaller.
Perhaps look at a few old maps for inspiration on keeping things simple without it being a small arena
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Can someone tell me why the protocol has to exist at all? I mean, if 512 is too restrictive, then folks are going to either drop out or not enter at all. It seems that this is a holdover from another contest which employed such strict rules, but why are we doing it now? I haven't seen any real rationale.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok here now the official contest advertizing batch.
This is not the batch to use in the maps. We have some converted from memsys ...thank you pal. :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5953&p=68440#p68440 <=KLICK ME!!!!
Attachments
UT99org_512K_contest_2014.png
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

..and this is (non)official token to be placed on a map :-P I tried to make this as low poly as possible. .
This is how it looks with just a stock random texture.
It is almost 30kb in size. If somebody want to use that -then I will upload it here (.u file).
But probably every map will be made without even 1kb free space ;-)
Attachments
tokenPreview.jpg
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Post a download link please. :)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

Here it is
To assign a texture, go to token properties and set a one under Display>Texture, mesh is Ready to be rotated, just change Phys type to PHYS_Rotating (under movement) and set needed Rotation Rate value.
Attachments
contest512token.zip
(7.47 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Awesome. Thanks!
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Carbon wrote:Can someone tell me why the protocol has to exist at all? I mean, if 512 is too restrictive, then folks are going to either drop out or not enter at all. It seems that this is a holdover from another contest which employed such strict rules, but why are we doing it now? I haven't seen any real rationale.
Because it's a challenge to make It look like and play like a 2meg map, there were some very cool levels at 300k still hard to believe.
Try a few things like, add one light, save map see how much it adds.
Do the same thing but increase the light radius save, and check size.

One of the biggest drains is making the walls or whatever is High shadow detail, it sucks a lot away, really a lot.
try to make brushes that seem like it has a lot of vertices, but build it with a few simple brushes.

Use sheets instead of making an indent in a flat wall to make it look like there is another brush carving out the wall.

Ever since that 300k map, I have been selecting all brush, then hit the ying yang icone (invert selection) then right click an actor and Order them to last. That helped something for size, can't remember.

there is a few right there, every actor matters, if you can skimp on bot paths, do it. or any actor.

EDIT
I mean to say use sheets with an unlit texture one (or two) units away from a wall to simulate a panel light, instead of making a new brush IN the wall so you can make it have another texture. that saves a whole other new brush with more vertices.

OH another thing, a zone actor takes up more than I liked, so if you really need a zone use it, but otherwise just leave the map have the default zone settings with out adding a zone actor per zone. I would limit making new zones anyway, it adds another sheet brush, not worth it.

ADD
on a side note, my 300k map was DM-300k Isotope, and it was hard to do, so 512k should help considerably.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

[quote="Red_Fist"Because it's a challenge to make It look like and play like a 2meg map, there were some very cool levels at 300k still hard to believe.
Try a few things like, add one light, save map see how much it adds.
Do the same thing but increase the light radius save, and check size.

One of the biggest drains is making the walls or whatever is High shadow detail, it sucks a lot away, really a lot.
try to make brushes that seem like it has a lot of vertices, but build it with a few simple brushes.

Use sheets instead of making an indent in a flat wall to make it look like there is another brush carving out the wall.

Ever since that 300k map, I have been selecting all brush, then hit the ying yang icone (invert selection) then right click an actor and Order them to last. That helped something for size, can't remember.

there is a few right there, every actor matters, if you can skimp on bot paths, do it. or any actor.[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed reply. I agree and see now that tight constraints really shows the skills of the mappers. Well, not all skills, but certainly forces them to tighten up their game!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I think it's more of an intellectual exercise that comes down to who can squeeze the most detail out. I think along the lines Carbon does, that the size limit is an arbitrary construct that does more harm than good. It doesn't serve any positive purpose for a mapper to spend hours trying different combinations of things to trim that last 30kb when it doesn't affect the map. It's a much better use of said mapper's time to spend those hours improving it or making a new area.

It just occurred to me that the procedural processes used by the compression contests we discussed could be implemented here. I'm pretty sure I could script something that would generate massive amounts of usable BSP at map runtime.... I'm reasonably sure you could have a mostly empty block of space and fill it with a UScript-generated "world" built like lego blocks. In fact you could call a monster amount of map things into existence via UScript and make even a complex map very, very small in file size.

Dammit, now I'm wanting to flesh this out. Higor, you see where I'm going with this? Want to destroy this competition with a map they won't believe fits the file size? hahaha, I've probably said too much now anyway.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

JackGriffin wrote:...Dammit, now I'm wanting to flesh this out. Higor, you see where I'm going with this? Want to destroy this competition with a map they won't believe fits the file size? hahaha, I've probably said too much now anyway...
well i'd say go for it :D

i'd be curious to see this - of course, to win, your map has to be fun and play well ... so if you think you can make something playable let's see what you can do :rock:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***