THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by Spectra »

Currently working on this map:
Attachments
Gravo.jpg
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

Nice one. Looks like you got inspired by Phobos Moon's Skybox, with some elements of Face][. The curved ways resemble HyperBlast (from my point of view), and the upper platforms plus the four lower ones remind me of LongestYard (just a little bit). Good work.
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Whitey wrote:Has a screenshot

Also pic uploaded ealier in thread.
No ...not that kind of screenshot. I meant screenshots of your finished map. :mrgreen:
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

I've finished my map. I only have few problems related to some brushes' solidity and to the filesize.
About the solidity, it won't be a big deal, as despite I deleted all the brushes I have a backup with all of them.
About the filesize, well, size is 512kb, but I didn't put a sound, not a music and not even the map Screenshot...Will take a little bit more than expected.
And yes, I made the optimisation mentioned by Higor in Page 1.

Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

papercoffee wrote:
Whitey wrote:Has a screenshot

Also pic uploaded ealier in thread.
No ...not that kind of screenshot. I meant screenshots of your finished map. :mrgreen:
Lol my bad will upload a couple soon.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

Dm-Atrium concept so far:
Screenshot 2014-10-11 19.23.39.png
Screenshot 2014-10-11 19.23.14.png
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok again ...I need a little help.
I need mover which doesn't react to touch. Instead they have to push and smash player and are only activated by triggers.
DM-HealPodII use this kind of mover and I will look into it.
But here comes the part I can't find a tutorial for ...The mover should not move back to keyframe 0 only if another trigger is pushed.
If I can manage this to work can I realize the map as planned ...otherwise do I have to reconsider the layout. :?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

papercoffee wrote:Ok again ...I need a little help.
I need mover which doesn't react to touch. Instead they have to push and smash player and are only activated by triggers.
DM-HealPodII use this kind of mover and I will look into it.
But here comes the part I can't find a tutorial for ...The mover should not move back to keyframe 0 only if another trigger is pushed.
If I can manage this to work can I realize the map as planned ...otherwise do I have to reconsider the layout. :?
Just tried it, too easy.

add a regular trigger and the event,

set the mover to "trigger toggle". done.

Each time I walk into the trigger it will stay up, step in again and it goes down and stays, until I walk into the trigger again,

depending on what gives but, either use the crush when encroached, or I would use ignore when encroached but set the damage amount for the mover instead. I am pretty sure you could use a bunch of triggers, just have the same event.
Binary Space Partitioning
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

{S.o.W}DeathMask wrote:I've finished my map. I only have few problems related to some brushes' solidity and to the filesize.
About the solidity, it won't be a big deal, as despite I deleted all the brushes I have a backup with all of them.
About the filesize, well, size is 512kb, but I didn't put a sound, not a music and not even the map Screenshot...Will take a little bit more than expected.
And yes, I made the optimisation mentioned by Higor in Page 1.
With BSP the size is 512K?? or without. If is it with BSP, then it will drastically reduce the size by deleting the brushes. Adding Music won't increase size, but yes adding the map screenshot will increase the size.
Best way is to import the screenshot in PCX format. Normally I always import in BMP formats, but here I used in PCX style for my Kaylon map. If the map has Elevator movers then you can use SWjumppad instead of Mover Brush this can reduce the size of the map (Not Sure).
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Rocky wrote:With BSP the size is 512K?? or without.
The map is 512k WITHOUT the brushed. I deleted them all. I also tried to delete as many PathNodes and other pathing actors as possible.
Rocky wrote:adding the map screenshot will increase the size.
I know. And that's the problem left...other than the solidity error I get with some brushes (not hard to fix, when you have the backup copy of them. And I do)
Rocky wrote:Best way is to import the screenshot in PCX format.
I always do that. Reduces compatibility issues and also the image is smaller. Especially if you already set the color scale on "Indexed Color" on your photoediting program (I use Adobe Photoshop CS4)
Rocky wrote:If the map has Elevator movers then you can use SWjumppad instead of Mover Brush this can reduce the size of the map (Not Sure).
Neither am I. But I'd rather use stock UT files (and not even my musics) without any custom files (I suppose SWJumpPad is custom?).

Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Rocky wrote:With BSP the size is 512K?? or without. If is it with BSP, then it will drastically reduce the size by deleting the brushes. Adding Music won't increase size, but yes adding the map screenshot will increase the size.
I would like to be the asshole who points out that brushes are not BSP. They are CSG operators. BSP is compiled from them and is the actual geometry of the level. That's why you can build your map with brushes, build the BSP and then delete the CSG operators. It's also why players die if geometry is not rebuilt: if the BSP hasn't been compiled, there is no "inside" of the map to spawn in, even if it technically looks like it.

So in your map, you want no brushes but you want BSP.
You must construct additional pylons.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Ehhm, PCX importing doesn't do shit to file size.

It's great to force a certain pallete and make the pic look better.
But textures are all serialized bit by bit, same with palletes.
So no, a 256x256 blue square will take up the same space as a nice 256x256 texture.

EDIT:
There is ONE size related optimization that can be done, and is importing multiple PCX files with the same color pallete.
That makes all these bitmaps use the same pallete, but it's barely 256*3 bytes (+a few more for UObject info) we're saving.

EDIT2:
256x256 bitmap with unique pallete = ~70kb.
Keep that in mind when making the map.

128x128 bitmap is ~20kb.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

So ...to say it plain ...my attempt to decrease the kb of the batch by turning it monochrome was a waste of effort. :?
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

screenshots as requested.
Attachments
Screenshotsooeygooey.jpg
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Using DDS format or importing as DXT in UEd2.1 or above will allow you to compress any custom texture.
This will save a lot of space.
https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5956