THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by FraGnBraG »

hmm... sorry to tell you rocky you will have to put swJumppad into MyLevel and also use different music (since the umx is not part of UT99) ...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Small update on my end, the V2 of my map should be finished all I need to do is some play testing.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It may be worth reminding people with both Unreal and UT, that if you combine installs https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5540&start=0 you can use the "Cleanup Level" option in UEd2.1
This removes the brushes and any missing/hidden actors

BTW. SwJumpPad is by "Switch" http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Switch (the author wrote his details inside the U file with the documentation)
Current archive
http://code.google.com/p/switch-mods/
Original page.
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20070528 ... o.uk/neai/
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

3rd map, not anywhere near as finished as i'd like it to be.
Attachments
Screeny.jpg
CTF-512K-Templeness.rar
(637.21 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
{S.o.W}DeathMask
Skilled

Post by {S.o.W}DeathMask »

Nice layout. If you want a suggestion, try making the fire texture surfaces "Masked" and/or "Translucent" in order to reduce/delete that black border which kills quality on many maps ;) (In case you're going to update it)
{S.o.W}DeathMask, 9 times CWC UT2003, 1 time EMKTC.

GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

I really love the lighting in it Whitney :)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Well guys here is the V2 of the map!

Changelog V1.0 to V2.0:

Completely redone bot pathing, unlike V1 where the bots where broken in V2 the bots are pretty good and are able to take all paths (even if they rarely use some some of them).
Revamped lighting.
Added some decoration brushes.
Added environmental sounds to the level.
Fixed a missing brush in the red base.

@ JackGriffin: Feel free to put this version on the server!

@ the mods: Could you add the zip to the first post and remove the V1? Thanks.

EDIT: forgot the screenshot in the zip, File has been updated.

EDIT2: updated the map again, see the first post for the link to V3 or my post on page 20.
Last edited by memsys on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Whitey wrote:3rd map, not anywhere near as finished as i'd like it to be.
nice! will try this one shortly ...

This comment has to do with your other CTF map "courtyards" - I spent a little time in that one - seriously good job man, love it :tu: now there's a problem with BOT FC. I was playing 4 vs 4 masterful - As soon as blue grabs the Flag he jumps on the lift, exits at the top and jumps back down and stays there in DM mode, rinse repeat until eventually killed. This "stuck in a loop" is obviously not too good and i think you should try and fix that, cause it's spoiling an otherwise excellent CTF map :/

i did notice the lift beside the flag is not set up using liftcenter and liftexits, and it is just "bump open timed"... not saying that's the problem but it does look like you can tweak (simplify) the pathes elsewhere to free up enough actors so you can set up those lifts. ... anyways map looks great, and nicely done layout :tu:

***edit*** yeah, you really need to fix the bot-pathing in courtyards - i just spec'd 4 vs 4 masterfuls and it was 0-0 after 15 minutes, and red team was never able to get to the blue flagbase while the blue team made plenty of grabs but never left the flag area (as already described) first thing you should try is to delete the flagbase actors and then re-add them, making sure the spike is buried at least 64uu into solid ground. set the team numbers and rebuild paths. start a match and add one bot only. Go into god/ghost mode and stay out of his way - he should go right to the other base, grab the flag and come right back home to cap. Once that's working, change teams and test again. If thats working both ways, then add some more bots and watch what they do. If both teams can actually score then you're good ...

If nothing works then redo the paths - i can help you if you have problems...

***edit #2*** it was driving me nuts, so i fixed it !!! okay, make sure your flags spike it "well buried in the ground (i.e. must be embedded in a solid)"
rebuilt paths and this fixed the problem - both teams can happily grab and CAP. One thing though, you should fix that lift and setup jump spots near the sniper windows that allow BOTs to jump down via the opening in the floor. Otherwise thye will not use the route.

Cheers
Last edited by FraGnBraG on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Thanks mem! I've finished uploading the server and setting it up so I'll get these maps added and playable today. I'll post back when everything is ready.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Still 40 days before the end? I'm starting to think this time limit was too long. Now that I've made my map I'm just longing for the results already! :D
You must construct additional pylons.
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

FraGnBraG wrote:
Whitey wrote:3rd map, not anywhere near as finished as i'd like it to be.
nice! will try this one shortly ...

This comment has to do with your other CTF map "courtyards" - I spent a little time in that one - seriously good job man, love it :tu: now there's a problem with BOT FC. I was playing 4 vs 4 masterful - As soon as blue grabs the Flag he jumps on the lift, exits at the top and jumps back down and stays there in DM mode, rinse repeat until eventually killed. This "stuck in a loop" is obviously not too good and i think you should try and fix that, cause it's spoiling an otherwise excellent CTF map :/

i did notice the lift beside the flag is not set up using liftcenter and liftexits, and it is just "bump open timed"... not saying that's the problem but it does look like you can tweak (simplify) the pathes elsewhere to free up enough actors so you can set up those lifts. ... anyways map looks great, and nicely done layout :tu:

***edit*** yeah, you really need to fix the bot-pathing in courtyards - i just spec'd 4 vs 4 masterfuls and it was 0-0 after 15 minutes, and red team was never able to get to the blue flagbase while the blue team made plenty of grabs but never left the flag area (as already described) first thing you should try is to delete the flagbase actors and then re-add them, making sure the spike is buried at least 64uu into solid ground. set the team numbers and rebuild paths. start a match and add one bot only. Go into god/ghost mode and stay out of his way - he should go right to the other base, grab the flag and come right back home to cap. Once that's working, change teams and test again. If thats working both ways, then add some more bots and watch what they do. If both teams can actually score then you're good ...

If nothing works then redo the paths - i can help you if you have problems...

***edit #2*** it was driving me nuts, so i fixed it !!! okay, make sure your flags spike it "well buried in the ground (i.e. must be embedded in a solid)"
rebuilt paths and this fixed the problem - both teams can happily grab and CAP. One thing though, you should fix that lift and setup jump spots near the sniper windows that allow BOTs to jump down via the opening in the floor. Otherwise thye will not use the route.

Cheers
Cheers for taking the time to talk me through it, I map Bunnytrack. So never learnt proper Bot pathing.WIll make V2 and probably V2 of newewst map as im sure the pathing isn't great in that too.
Thanks for feedback as well everyone else.

will work on them for V2
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I scraped the five maps and put them on the ut.info server. I'll keep up as they get posted and update accordingly. If you want to server test before release to this thread just let me know and I'll set you up.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Pathing seems simpler than it is.
You MUST switch on the path view after you render your path AI, or you cannot see when the paths do not function (Red lines).
Right-click in the grey area at the top of a view window, and enable "Show Paths" from the "View" menu.
UEdPaths.jpg
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Dr.Flay wrote:Pathing seems simpler than it is.
You MUST switch on the path view after you render your path AI, or you cannot see when the paths do not function (Red lines).
Right-click in the grey area at the top of a view window, and enable "Show Paths" from the "View" menu.
UEdPaths.jpg
which reminds me - King Josh you have a stranded bot that spawns on one of the rooftops (the building that has stairs up to the roof that opens into a corner)
maybe put a jumpspot + liftexits to let the poor bugger get off that roof ...? just delete a few health vials to make room for the extra actors... :)
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

*cough* hence why that map in the screenshot.
A whole lot of weirdness going on with some of that pathing.

I moved the pathnodes so they route around the back of that roof exit, but getting them to navigate through the building will require more tweaking than that.
Mostly you can move the ones you already have, and I have an "almost" working paths in my edit, just by moving them.
There are a huge amount of player starts, so if you need to add a path-node, you can ditch a player start.

It is a really fun little industrial map :tu:
Considering how fast you made it KingJosh, when can we expect another one ?