THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by Carbon »

Dr.Flay wrote:Well we have a decision to make with the late arrivals, as they are 2 days over (I checked the files times), and others have already downed-tools when they are also very close to finishing.
Let them in but maybe a small penalty? We really need a rubric for the judging...
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Dr.Flay wrote:Try RIOT http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/ or as a plugin
For a minute, I thought you meant "Try Riot" :P
You must construct additional pylons.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Dr.Flay wrote:Well we have a decision to make with the late arrivals, as they are 2 days over (I checked the files times), and others have already downed-tools when they are also very close to finishing.
I was under the impression that the contest would end on december first 23:59:59 utc -12.
Honestly? I think the maps released "late" should be allowed because the deadline was not clear cut and this is not a time sensitive contest unlike last years 48hour contest.
EvilGrins wrote:About CTF-512K-MeinKraft (not a review, just a question) just gave it a quick bot-only run through. They defend the base fine, even get the enemy flag:
Bots work the map just fine, what were you concerned about?
I never said the bots did not work, I said that they dislike the top route and often take the alt route. The bots CAN play the map but they can't do it very well.
FraGnBraG wrote:
memsys wrote:Well here it is, CTF-512K-MeinKraft!
...sadly I could not get the bots to work all that well and I don't know how to fix it (and certainly not without going over the 512K limit)...
Well you got it into the contest and thats the good thing :tu:

after the contest, well, imo you release a non-contest version that's got fixed bots (actually not that hard - I can even get them taking all the routes).
you could also add a few more lifts, definitely a few more ways into and out of the flagbase area ... but that would be a version 2 you could easily do later with no resistrictions.

This kind of map i like to see in contests, real good imagination here, and obviously perfect theme for low-poly/size contest - dunno how this is gonna play with peeps though, looks like it will be a really tough match!!!

Cheers
Thanks, and I was planning to release a non-contest version with a lot more stuff added and bot support that works well :mrgreen: .
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

memsys wrote:I was under the impression that the contest would end on december first 23:59:59 utc -12.
Honestly? I think the maps released "late" should be allowed because the deadline was not clear cut and this is not a time sensitive contest unlike last years 48hour contest.
I'd say the rules are written to be enforced and if we start overruling now, we'll get into sticky situations. But on the other hand, I definitely agree that time was not an important factor and that the delay was minimal. We need guidance.
You must construct additional pylons.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

FraGnBraG wrote: ... EDIT - last minute update to this one: ...
DOM-512K-DropZone_V3.zip
maybe just leave the DOM-512K-DropZone_V2 in the contest -- you just go splat a lot in V2, lol!

In V3 i added this actor from extreme woot vol.2 by IronBlayde called FallingDamageHandler.u but this does not work as well as I thought it would, the thing seems to be buggy (turns the screen black, unexpectedly, at times)

The map is seriously lacking for cover -- I noticed I actually do have some space left in the map to add some cover (pillars or boxes etc)

oh well, i guess I can add that stuff in a V4 after the contest is over...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
rtg
Average
Personal rank: the incredable kid

Post by rtg »

rtg, I have to ask how much you learned about optimisation during this exercise ? :wink:
6 MB of BMP pics ? Seriously ?

Try RIOT http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/ or as a plugin
That's not cool, my late arrival was just couple hours late... But only in my country, in USA it was even still daytime, so its not fair that way since they have the big advantage. And the time wasn't specific like memsys said :P.

I did not had the time to learn map optimisation much since I didn't had enough time, it was wasted by unpredictable bugs that were really hard to deal with. I haven't finished a complete map before (1on1-FastPaced), so I'm not experienced much in mapping, but I had a clear idea of what the compedetive gameplay should be and that's what I relied on. Unfortunately I didn't had time to test it with someone to polish the balance of the map :(. I should've started editing the map earlier. What I learned is to NOT use semi-solids. When I turned semi-solids into regular brushes i had a big amount of file space released. And they were not very stable to begin with, everything about their stability was just random. I don't know where I heard this tip for using semi-solids when I have the chance to, its not cool =).

Also those SS of 1on1-WarmupParty were taken really fast with Fraps...

EDIT:
I just realized that the 1on1-WarmupParty map series were not fixed properly... I just fixed it really quick:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdjii4dm80ix2 ... y.rar?dl=0

Well... I submitted it this late so it should get big pentaly, I don't mind it as long as its in the contest :P.. At least I want ppl to get the correct version.
Last edited by rtg on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

wow 31 maps !!!

that's a good haul :tu:

so all we need now are all the maps on one server and an IP?
admin please weapons-stay + some relics might be nice too (speed, redemption, skull)
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

Hellkeeper wrote:
memsys wrote:I was under the impression that the contest would end on december first 23:59:59 utc -12.
I'd say the rules are written to be enforced and if we start overruling now, we'll get into sticky situations. But on the other hand, I definitely agree that time was not an important factor and that the delay was minimal. We need guidance.
The point I was trying to make was that the deadline was not as clear cut as it needed, the way I read it the contest would end then December 1st would end where as flay read it as the start of December 1st. If the first post had said something like "the contest starts October 1st utc 0 at 00:00 and ends at December 1st at utc 0 at 00:00" then I would agree that the deadline is the deadline and entries that are a day or 2 late get 1 point off for being late.
In this case the mods where not clear enough and while that sucks stuff like that happens.

Well then now we get to the point of what is "fair" .
One person could argue that despite the unclear date and that this contest not being based on time late entries are late and are either not allowed to be voted upon or get a penalty.

Another person could argue that the mods messed up and that there is no real reason to penalise entries that are a day or 2 late because of lack of clarity as well as that the contest was not about time as well as the fact that this is a FOR FUN contest, and that it is not worth spoiling the fun to kick people out or penalise because of them being late a day or 2 in a contest that lasted 2 months.

Personally I am in favour of the second, this is a contest for fun not a competitive one! Is that also something I have something to gain by? Yes, yes it is and would I still have the same opinion if I had northing to gain from it? Yes I would because I think being relaxed about it is more fair then being strict about it.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

FraGnBraG wrote:maybe just leave the DOM-512K-DropZone_V2 in the contest -- you just go splat a lot in V2, lol!
Your v2 has warp zones, no matter how far you fall you always pop up back at the top of the map. How was there any SPLAT??

Granted, i play DOM with instagibs so nobody generally is alive long enough to go SPLAT other then when they're shot.
memsys wrote:I never said the bots did not work, I said that they dislike the top route and often take the alt route.
Tactical advantage for the human players, sweet!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

The rules stated clearly. December the 1st is the deadline so you submit until 11:59PM. Then this...
The contest ends when Midnight crosses the International Date Line... soooo still time to upload the last versions.
I don't know exactly when it ends. If I have to look for it, I'll do it when I get back.

Btw, RTG wasn't exactly TWO days late, he was only a few hours late.
"Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:02 pm" as it show for me. This isn't 2 days late.

Btw, I mentioned if someone submit a map, they would have a penalty for late submission. Do not forget that, because it would make no sense for late submission get no penalty point. I feel that this is getting skipped over without looking into it.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...I decide (you can hate me now) ...every map later than the deadline "the International Date Line" get a penalty of -1 point in the total ranking of the contest vote of the mapper. They are still part of the contest. Every map later than 6 hours after the deadline can't participate anymore.

This is the International Date Line:
Spoiler
The red line after Alaska...
rtg is in ...he posted a PM to me with the final maps at Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:23 am UTC Western European Time.
After my calculation is he only 23 minutes over the deadline.
His post in this thread is Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:02 am ...still inside the 6 hours after contest end.
(Sorry that I forgot to mention the PM ...As I wrote earlier my brain went much 'cause of the cold.)

memsys last map is in ...his post was on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm UTC Western European Time.

FnB last map is in ...his last updated map was Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:11 am UTC Western European Time. (If he still want this update in the contest. otherwise will we use V2 of his map)

The contest is over and we try to get a test server for the maps. ...I think 2 weeks is enough to test the maps, right?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

EvilGrins wrote:... Your v2 has warp zones, no matter how far you fall you always pop up back at the top of the map. How was there any SPLAT?? ...
well it's jumping falling bouncing type movement, so you will get knocked off course a lot, seeing as there's gunfire everywhere, rockets and shockballs etc. when you land on a ledge you typically go splat! spinning gibs everywhere ... you can also jump jump down from any level to the one below, this should not really cost you health. however, the falling damage thingy is killing you in such a case, which is bad... i'd rather take my chances trying to air control onto a jumpad to save my fall ,as you can in V2.

instead what happens in V3 if you steer near an edge where a jumppad is the screen just goes black and you be dead. I think i was hasty putting out the V3, even though i fixed the side warpzones to work only the same level (1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc). In V2 the warpzones actually change levels (1-2, 2-3, 3-1 etc).

So i'd say the V2 is the better beast as of right now, imo you should stick with that one and i'll make a fixed version (with cover, lol) after the contest :)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Cover ...what for? If you want cover jump into the bottomless pit. :satan:
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

Chamberly wrote:The rules stated clearly. December the 1st is the deadline so you submit until 11:59PM. Then this...
No it didn't, the way it was written could be interpreted as the contest ending Oct 30 @ 23:59 OR Dec 1 @23:59 and there is the problem, the first post has also been edited to fix it.
Chamberly wrote:Btw, I mentioned if someone submit a map, they would have a penalty for late submission. Do not forget that, because it would make no sense for late submission get no penalty point. I feel that this is getting skipped over without looking into it.
And why does that make sense? Because it's the norm for other contests? Please explain how this makes sense.
Also this is a contest for FUN should we really spoil the good mood to bitch about a day hell not even a day a few hours! Besides the maps are not going to be judged on the fact that they a little late but on how they look/feel/play/push boundaries.

EDIT :nevermind seems paper has made up his mind (I don't agree with it but it's not like I can do anything about it)

@ paper is my map allowed to enter or not?
EDIT2: also paper next time you better make damn well clear what the end time is I thought was still on time so getting a point off after working my ass off for 3 days and being "late" because the bots broke all the time sucks. Certainly not a fun way to end a friendly for FUN competition.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

memsys wrote: EDIT2: also paper next time you better make damn well clear what the end time is I thought was still on time so getting a point off after working my ass off for 3 days and being "late" because the bots broke all the time sucks. Certainly not a fun way to end a friendly for FUN competition.
Read my post again ...you are not late. :D
papercoffee wrote:memsys last map is in ...his post was on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm UTC Western European Time.
Only RTG is 23 minutes over the deadline and FnB did pull back his V3 ...
If all agree can we say "23 minutes is nothing" and RTG doesn't get a penalty.

This Contest is to have fun and not to be nitpicking ... :wink: