THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by Hellkeeper »

UnrealGecko wrote:Played all the current submisions, should I write some feedback about them? 8)
Please do, feedback is always welcome for the mapper and the other competitors to see what's wanted.
You must construct additional pylons.
Waste

Post by Waste »

Hey Guys,

here is a quick WIP image from me... my level theme actually is "Thunderdome" ( from MadMax ;) )
there is still a lot work to do

cheers
Attachments
thunderdome_wip_001.PNG
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

UnrealGecko wrote:Unfortunately, the answer is negative, please re-upload with either the music file included (which will count to the 512k limit), or edit the map that it would use one of UT's umx files.
Hmm, I can't change the music, because I have deleted the brushes (you can check by opening it in Editor). So I have add it separately in the zip file. Also included SGTech1 textures in the zip file.
Probably I guess this music file DigSh came with Monster Hunt. But this is my Favorite Music :D
HellKeeper wrote:Please do, feedback is always welcome for the mapper and the other competitors to see what's wanted.
Can a Mapper give feedback of others Mapper's Map??
Waste wrote:Hey Guys,

here is a quick WIP image from me... my level theme actually is "Thunderdome" ( from MadMax ;) )
there is still a lot work to do

cheers
Hi Waste, Welcome to UT forums!
Nice layout of your map. Keep it up! :)
Attachments
CTF-512K-Kaylon.unr.zip
(4.97 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Rocky wrote:Hmm, I can't change the music, because I have deleted the brushes (you can check by opening it in Editor). So I have add it separately in the zip file. Also included SGTech1 textures in the zip file.
That shouldn't be a problem because you don't need to rebuild after changing the music. Open the map, change the song, save that should fix the problem.
Rocky wrote:
HellKeeper wrote:Please do, feedback is always welcome for the mapper and the other competitors to see what's wanted.
Can a Mapper give feedback of others Mapper's Map??
I don't see why not.
Completely unrelated: I don't have a capital K in my pseudonyme.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Is there a way to do an official admin-locked release thread for the maps as they get submitted? The thread is already six pages and still has a way to go. Having a stand-alone thread that is maps-only would make getting and testing way easier.
Hm... good point.
I think we should do something like that.

What do the other people think?
Rocky wrote: SGTech1
This is a default package.
Everything else will be added to the file size.
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

@ Flay,

You said you had a bunch of <25K music files would you mind uploading or linking those?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

i like contests :rock:

good stuff so far - that thunder dome looks rather "cage-match" - if space allows, you could add some unevenness to the floor - watchit with the 2dse tho, that thing can add a lot of K to your map :)

A few reminders (and i can't emphasize this stuff enough):

Here is my CHECKLIST
(yes i know a lot of this has been mentioned or posted here already, but this is what I've always done for 300K etc.):

1. use a higher than normal LEVEL Zonelight, with a hue/saturation than "compliments" the texture sets you are using
(this allows you to use less "area" lights in the map)
2. sometimes for detail lights you can get away with using unlit light unit textures
3. set all surfaces to "low shadow detail" (except unlit surfaces)
4. use 1 light actor set to non-incidence and larger radius for groups of lights, rather than several small radius lights (where appropriate)
(sometimes this technique will look fine)
5. set all surfaces to UNLIT that do not need a lightmap. Includes zoneportals, fakebackdrop and invisble, etc.
6. when building, do FULL BUILDS, the BSP table is often a lot smaller (which of course makes the UNR smaller - and this is good for 512K, lol )
7. before the you push the BUILD button, click the "build only visible actors" checkbox, especially if you keep junk brushes and builders in the map
during development.
8. before the you push the BUILD button, click the "select all brush" button, then click "invert selection" button, then right-click a selected item
and "order to last". Then right click any pathnode and select "select all pathnones, then click "order to last". This makes sure the damn pathnodes
are absolutely last.
9. if you can use a ut deco (for example a "tube light"), re-skinned with a metal texture or a grey base, then you now have a pipe, or railing post.
you can scale the deco to suit your needs, or combine several re-skinned decos together to create wonderful little details that you might normally
do using BSP. You will have to play with the properties (scaleglow etc) of the mesh, but this approach to details will save you TONS of K's.
Oh, you really have to use your imagination when you do this - it's mentally very much like the way you approach an aspect of ut2003/4
mapping, but on a much smaller simpler "UT99" scale, lol.

Some TIPS on basic BOT pathing:

- just try to use pickup as pathnodes where ever you can, and make sure all pickup (and things like PS, CP and FLAGBASES) the
lines are connected with BLUE LINES, even if there are RED lines as well.
- There MUST be blues paths through ALL doorways. If you can't get a pathline through a door to turn BLUE, then you can use a
LiftExit-LiftCenter-LiftExit through the door or hallway. This ensures a blue line, and YES the bot will then get through the opening.
- Bait the bloody mindless robots - if you want the BOT to move, they need to go get things (especially in deathmatch) make sure there
is always something along any pathway for a bot to get (vials, ammo, powerups etc), and situate weapons fairly close to spawn-points.
- Pay attention to the "Zone-spawn" issue (discussed elsewhere in UT99.org)

- Test (at least a few times) that the BOTS work. Especially in CTF !!!! If a BOT can't CAP then the map is broken. Use just one bot and see
if he can grab the flag and return to base BY HIMSELF without getting "stuck". At least do this for the main route.

Well that's it for now...

Cheers and hope this helps
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

I've finished mine. It's 500k without brushes.
Several people have already made nice little maps here. I decided to go the other route and make a slightly larger map with a more complex layout. As a result, it is ugly to the point of being indescribable. I hope this won't be too much of a handicap.

Also, contrarily to all already posted maps, mine has sounds :P

I'll provide a version with brushes in the zip, once the contest is over. I hate the idea of providing a map without everything.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It don't look that bad, you should use up your last bytes. It does have a theme, but maybe use a few lighter textures to have a more cheery look and not sludge in a basement look.
Like a few statues around, a few funky lights.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Hellkeeper wrote:... As a result, it is ugly to the point of being indescribable ...
well i wouldn't worry too much about the looks part of it - it always the gameplay first that will count the most (unless the map is really bad looking, which your's isn't ... dunno about anyone else, but i see great standard gameplay just in your screenies ...
like those "snipy-holes" under the CP - perfect to plug with a flak bomb, heh ;) i'm looking forward to getting in there :tu:

... you can always finish it up proper as a V2 after the contest, etc. make it nice and perdy :D

I should point out that anyone new just joining the thread should go right back to page one and read Higor's notes and advices regarding optimizations, good points in there...

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:...to have a more cheery look and not sludge in a basement look.
Ahah, but that's the point! I like the dar damp aspect of it.

I'm adding a few masked sheets for decorations but It won't go very far. I'll post a new version in a while.

EDIT: new version :

Image Image Image Image Image

Download DOM-512K-Qesh

Added some masked sheets and some fog effect, changed some textures, I'm at 511 ko. I want you to snif and feel cold and wet after playing.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Looks good. I feel cold already from the screenshots. :mrgreen:
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Currently working on a revision of CTF-512K-Isotope42, the revised version will have better pathing.
jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

Thank you for the advice I will take it into consideration.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am sure this is a double post I have no clue but anyway.

Here is a link to the propertychanger actor.
no spam, no ads
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... file%2czip

This could make a 512k map do some awesome things, and not have to use more space, otherwise.
AND it could be used for some puzzle type things or traps, don't try and use it on movers, they are pretty much set in stone before the build, it also will not work for collision on most things.

The main drawback is you need one for each property and a trigger for each property changer.
Unless you triggered a bunch of things all at once using the same tag.

Not sure if it's ,contest legal.

here is my test map for property changer tests
Not really supposed to be in a contest thread, but I hope people try your own things for other maps later on.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... file%2cunr

EDIT
I would like to add, if you messed with this map, that the zone light will only affect meshes and not walls, the same for a light radius. Those things are calculated in the build. However it will work for volume radius for lights so my trigger message says radius is the volume not the light.
So the problem, say instead use a trigger light, to get the same effect and show up on a BSP wall after a build, I used Omnibumpmap (for off), but it might work using "none", that is why it shows up using "cloudlight" (for on) since both of those variables can be changed after a build and shows up on walls (BSP)
I went through a lot of things, but the propertychanger has untold power, and you would need to experiment the next time you try and create an idea that can't be done normally and save you mega time trying to fulfill your map goals.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning