Test my MH map, DONE, made for bots.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Test my MH map, DONE, made for bots.

Post by Red_Fist »

Last version, same name, delete any older files.

I had to right click the file icon they show and hit download, it wouldn't work by clicking on the icon.
Download.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... 83edTf6Sg4

Or here
http://ut99ut.weebly.com/other-maps.html

This includes the larger file version of UTtech4.utx
!!! Also you might need to have oldskool installed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________-
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I been working on this for like 5 years, but had to start from scratch because of a hard drive crash. I had a 2 map combo but I can't make the other one all over again, was a pile of work, lost forever.

The whole idea was mainly to get the bots to finish the map on their own.
But if a few could check it out for me. make sure the files don't mismatch or something missing.

I don't really map to make things look all that good, but like 4 billion percent better than the weird old MH stuff.

If it works, the main thing is if I need more weapons, more enemies, it's really hard to balance this stuff.
Or any glitches.

Like I said my main mission was only to make the bots play without a snag, the last large room (that most will hate), it is possible that the bots may get screwed up.
I must have tested this like 1000 times for that.
I could turn on or add a teleporter so the last room (area) won't take so long. I am aware of that long ass walk around.

hope the link works

Final version.....hold on a few more edits.

Don't upload to a server, or delete it if you try it because I need to change a few things, and of course what others suggest, however I am pretty tired of working on it. But I could change the amount of enemies, or weapons, ammo pretty easy.

I know of one minor bot snag, so I need to fix that, right in the beginning, they get caught on the corner by the window trying to get down 2 damn steps, LoL.

thanks.

OH, I added a propertychange actor in there (MyLeveled), so if you want to use that for an MH map, just load this, then your map and use it for yours, for convenience (since friggen MH won't build script)

You can rip on it if you want, just try and see if it should play harder, or not, I don't care about how it looks since that wasn't my goal.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:07 am, edited 10 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Test my MH map.

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Downloaded, feedback on sunday I guess... Would be nice for some screenshots though :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I'll download it when i get home from work tomorrow. Always a fan of MH-maps that incorporate bot play!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

EvilGrins wrote:I'll download it when i get home from work tomorrow. Always a fan of MH-maps that incorporate bot play!
I would be grateful if you did some picts for me, ever since photobucket screwed the place up, I never figured out or use a place for picts, I get messed up with forums. I wish the forums themselves would do their own private hosting.
sure seems it used to be that way ions ago.

Ya I just don't know what to think about the map, might be boring, not sure if server mods will make it better, I been "in" it for so damn long as fixing for bots and things I kind of got lost in any opinion I may have.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Can't find UTTech4 :noidea
Attachments
UTTech4.jpg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

UTtech4.utx
look in the thread for link.

I have had that file so long I didn't think it was not a stock file.

Anyway I played without my normal test (the same map here), took out the supershock for bots and myself used for quicker testing.
It just seems like a boring map, like a crossbreed of SP with little story and a MH without as much spam, still have trouble in that last big room I feel like chopping it off and just end it right there. Dunno, it needs something or a lot of things lol.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:I would be grateful if you did some picts for me, ever since photobucket screwed the place up, I never figured out or use a place for picts, I get messed up with forums. I wish the forums themselves would do their own private hosting.
Think the forum does do photo hosting, but I never checked it out as I had my old livejournal account.

I host most of my UT screenshots here · http://evilgrins.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/4567

Another few albums there too, but try not to go poking around too much beyond that one.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I... think I have a bad utx package, as some of the textures (ceiling at the start) are default ugly... Mind telling me what utx is used for the ceiling?
I only tried past the 2nd lever before I couldn't take that texture anymore :mad2:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

LoL, let me check. BrB

OK all I can say so far is, todo list (1) change ceiling texture.

I need to rename my texture file I been using the same damn name from a ten year old map, so if that gets out the old map is missing textures. But while looking I believe I got it from Mine.utx. Originally I only used a small amount of textures and just put them all in MyLevel instead of the map getting it from large stock utx files.

But I am not sure if you mean it's just an ugly texture, or if it has some serious glitch bad artifacts from import export, so I will have to let that ride for now and will get some other stock texture. It don't look that bad though unless it's because I use open GL ?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Nonono I mean that it's that default bobbly texture shows up rather than the actual used one. I guess my Mine.utx is bad, so I'll have to redownload that (noticed that this happened with not just yours, but quite a few other MH maps). Ok, once I fix this I'll give a proper review.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Ok, I played half of it.
This made me find a FerBotz bug in state handling (on long paths).

Going to the map:
- Too many navigation points, you may want to replace the spawnpoints with a custom class (not derivated from navigationpoint!!!)
- Too many dynamic lights, try reducing lightmap resolution on big walls and ceilings (Low Shadow Detail)

I can be of assistance if you wish.

EDIT:
(Played it with 2 bots, 4 botz and WeaponStay disabled lol)
It was pretty fine.
Seriously, Navigation point count has to go down.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well the situation is, like by the first steps I think my BSP is causing bot path problems, a total pain in the arse, move one, something goes wrong.

If you are referring to that last large room, with the ramps, I wanted to use sort of a natural way to make the next group of pawns to go down the ramps. However the ramps are too long for a regular path to be created so I had to use lift exits for the bots.
But then using MH waypoints I have to make the bots kill all the pawns before they are allowed (want) to go to the next waypoint.

They bots will not proceed unless the batch of pawns is killed, but they have to proceed once they are killed.

So there is basically two sets of paths, I have to do that so they will go all the way to the end of one ramp to hit the waypoint AND kill any lingering pawn. If they hit the waypoint they will either never go back up the ramps again because I had to use blocked paths until AFTER the pawns have died. (kind of hard to explain catch22)

I also did that whole large floor, so it added a slew of nodes.
If any one of the paths are messed with it will foul up the map as a whole. So just about every pathnode will affect it one way or another and the bots will screw up and not complete the level.

Go ahead and edit all you want, but the end result is, using my test (I added 4 supershocks in the first room) I set it to slomo 8 or more, I "addbots" 12 and they (stock bots) will rip through the map like crazy. The last room is where any trouble will happen, mainly because of those long dang ramps but they will do it like 99.8% of the time. So either I made those steps to steep, lift speeds and delays, I mean there is a whole array of things that will mess up the bot flow.

Also the lever 8 will cause problems, if I mess with the nodes because of the ramp above, and all those levers are close to the walls. Now I could eliminate that lever problem and use triggers, but I just got to stop working on this so I left them as movers that they have to touch.

The whole bot pathing is based on having them appear to WANT to go to the next lever, if they miss one, map is broke.

Well the lights or dynamic lights, the room with the tank of water (up top), in it was me just playing around, so you can get a laugh out of that. The other side that drops the drips can be shot after you flip the switch and stop all that, I was also playing in the editor for fun. So I won't pretend any of that is optimized at all. The center room I have it the way I wanted it to look and the hallways.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

The BSP is fine, it's best left untouched during the entire fixing process.
What can be done is to find big walls that could use lower res lightmaps, and to completely change the spawnpoint system.

That alone will severely increase performance and make bots and monsters work well.
About objectives, we'll leave that for the very last.
It's best to go step by step.
- Lightmaps.
- Spawnpoints.
- Simple pathing.
- Objective pathing.
- Dynamic pathing (100% my job).

=====
I've got to fix this FerBotz bug first, and then I'll make the alternate monster spawn system.

PD:
Best MH map i've played in a long while, grats
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I have an SP version and I am using that property changer in a lot of weird ways for effects only, the ending. but none of this bot path stuff matters at all in an SP, and removes a huge burden.

for info, I used a dispatcher for each lever, so I could have the capability to change things at any stage of the game.
Like say I wanted to spawn something at any lever, turn on lights, or whatever. so a lot of the tags or events are hidden in the dispatchers. If you get in to any of that, feel free to cuss me out for the stupid tag and event names I used, I won't ever do that again makes things hard to track down. :omfg:

On a side note, the only reason I put in breakable barrels or boxes was in case some server mod spawns pawns spawn from them if they get broken, like an akcoop type thing, otherwise I am using hardly anything for details or deco, so that "deco" was meant for a reason and not oddly placed deco's. But I have no clue if any server mod would do that other than akcoop SP maps. It would be nice to make a spectacular looking map one of these years. decades.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Replaced the monster spawners and the spawnpoints with ones that don't generate paths.
Reduced pathnode count.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/583 ... 0_Cacus.7z