Test my MH map, DONE, made for bots.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Test my MH map. W.I.P.

Post by Red_Fist »

Well the map is basically done, I am now trying to think up some things to offset the straight forward gameplay. A few surprises and or tricks, or something to have something to do other than just get through the map. And in a funky MH style, nothing too sophisticated or too spammy but some twist to the level.

working on it. 8)
Binary Space Partitioning
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Red_Fist wrote:Well the map is basically done, I am now trying to think up some things to offset the straight forward gameplay. A few surprises and or tricks, or something to have something to do other than just get through the map. And in a funky MH style, nothing too sophisticated or too spammy but some twist to the level.

working on it. 8)
can you post a new linky for the map ? or where can i get it ...?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I need to add some warlords, forgot about them, and I have some Nail "outside" and I want to make them do something for a slight story line. But I need to wrap this up, bots seem ok, trimmed down some of the lag only a tiny bit, it never really lagged for me but I can see the areas others pointed out so that is fixed now.

Is there anything I can do to make breakable deco spawn monsters for MH. ? AKcoop don't work and deco only spawns, things.

What is nice about doing that is a player can be forced to either be carefull and not break things, or, make the map more difficult by purposely breaking things, or, sick enemies that other players need to fight and T off the rest of the players LoL.
I would not add that many breakable decos but in certain spots to give a player a little tact rather than just wildly shooting all the time.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I have the Nali "Reseting" the factory and added an effect for lights during the reset using the propertychanger actor, love that thing.

Anyway is there a way to make a map-wide earthquake ?

Also even though I got the bots to exit the map, I am going to put in a shoot trigger at the end tied to a mover. So if this map ever sees a server it will stay online until the server or a player ends the map.

I still want to add a few other stronger pawns around, like mini boss sections, just a few. I don't have any warlords or large Mantas (yet)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:Anyway is there a way to make a map-wide earthquake ?
Think there is. Pretty sure I've got an earthquake.u or something like that at home.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

You may want a custom earthquake, unless you're sure it won't iterate thru the entire actor list lol (might lag the machine, but test first lol)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Did a few more things, it now has warlords and Giant mantas after the factory is reset.
Made the skaarj do a little patrol.
Added 4 more lights for a flicker effect along with my other lights. Not sure how this will pan out. While using a propertychanger I am swapping out CloudCast for Omni bumpmap, and back to cloudcast for 99 lights, and 4 earthquakes all at once.

got my movers in to block bots from exiting, you just need to shoot a spot to open the bars, but they still make it to the end pretty dang good. So many variables I won't say a one bot test could work, I will see though.

Dunno it don't seem to lag, not sure what happens on a server, but the whole idea is the light is really already rendered, the radius and such. All I am doing is just switching it to OmnibumMap (to make it look dark but not meshes)for 20 seconds but not affecting any other light properties. I think it will work online without lag. The 4 flicker lights have large diameters and the 4 earthquakes all at once. I got everything working as it should.

Once the Nali reset the factory and all that ends, I spawn in 6 Warlords and 5 Giant mantas.

Still need to make a readme and a screenshot for the zip and make the zip all files needed.

so I will put up a test map again real soon, IF people can test it AGAIN would be nice.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Probably the most bot watched map in history, almost good for one bot now.

But I did figure a quirk too add, am putting in a button of the first half of the secret, if you push it I unleash a bunch of tiny wicked skaarj, so it will be players choice, provided they find the first half of the secret and push that "red" button.

fixed a lot of things so it should all work better than it ever has.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Test my MH map, done. made for bots.

Post by Red_Fist »

EDIT

I did not try a test map yet, but another awesome use for the propertychanger would be you could dynamically change the MaxDesireability property on the fly. Meaning you could make the bots want to go to a section of the map and then change their motivation once the previous goal was met.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Red_Fist wrote:If there is any problems post away, I am calling it done, unless it needs a crucial fix. like a missing file etc etc. let me know, and-or let me know if running on a server it crashes or not, it should be ok though, thanks.

**edit removed bad link ***
check it out !!!
If it works I would appreciate the map being uploaded on other sites, thanks.

Make sure you copy over any existing file other than UTtech4 texture file.

I did not try a test map yet, but another awesome use for the propertychanger would be you could dynamically change the MaxDesireability property on the fly. Meaning you could make the bots want to go to a section of the map and then change their motivation once the previous goal was met.

Now I can check out the 512 maps. :thuup:
Okay good - at last!! Lucky you RedFist, lol, I've been monster hunting for the last 2 weeks so i can get picky and observant ;)

And in a few weeks _you_ can return the favor and test my MH creations (i got two maps, heh!!!)
Last edited by FraGnBraG on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

friggen last minute BSP BS @%@$%@$%@$$@ error

I added that lift for story only and F'd up waaaaay across the other side of the map. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"
And in a few weeks _you_ can return the favor and test my MH creations (i got two maps, heh!!!) " will do !!

Make sure your hallways or doorways are wide enough and tall enough for enemies like pawns, it will save you a lot of time for bot pathing.

For a pickup, that is far away in a big room, raise it up a little bit, the bots need to see more than you think, paths or no paths.

For pawns, set the "visibility" to 255, we can see them but bots need as much help seeing them, under pawn properties for the monsters.

We need the pawns to react by shooting, and for longer distance set the Combat\comabat style to .1 they will shoot more than try hand to hand combat. I also set the peripheral vision to -5 (same as blobletts) I tried this on a krall facing a wall, it sees you as soon as you spawn. The stock setting is 0 and the krall didn't even see me when I went along the same wall.

Make a test box map, stock UT, to make new actors or pawns, then open that map to easily place the new actor, it's easy and fast to do it, no .u files. Why ? because the guy who wrote MonsterHunt screwed up making for new actors to make during editing by hiding the code. (bad mistake on his part)

Use waypoints and blocked paths for total control of bots, awesome !!

Set the liftcenters or exits triggers for movers for classtrigger and then pick "pawn" for the class.

Use delays on triggers and movers so pawns and bots can make sense out of it along with mover speed.

Set MaxDesireability on pickups along with synchronizing with blocked paths so the bots don't continue over the same cycle.

There is a lot more but a few things for you to consider for bots.

While using a Waypoint and want the bots to get there fast, use the same collision radius as botpaths 46 radius, 50 high. trust me.

Also in the waypoint, need bots to trigger that one thing ? in the last line of events you will see a different line, just type in the "object" name, it will put the mylevel in for you. say "mover34" when the bot hits the waypoint it will then work the mover.
ADD, since the mover needs to be set to ,trigger open timed, the waypoint won't trigger the mover from a human player. So you need to add a regular trigger with a smaller radius, like if you pushed the button but the trigger does it.
The events are for another purpose that don't work, I think it's for assigning an event but not triggering directly, I need to experiment and see how it works..

AND this map still gets messed up because I tired to make it work as natural as possible, but yet crow bar the bots. so if a pawn wanders off it's hard for a bot to find them and some paths (and BSP) are too close for pawns so they might get stuck for bots to attack or see the pawn. It's endless tweaking but I have to stop.

Try it, put in 12 bots, order to freelance, slomo 10 they tear it up fast, the biggest trouble that may still exist is the 64 gasbags. Some wander off in the top room, but I think I got it (was testing with one bot)
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

wow, you seem to know quite alot about MH mapping RedFist!!! Thanks for the tips :rock:

If I find bugs etc, do you want posts here or PM? or do you even want to know , lol!!! jk

I will have a play through tonight :)

oh, and I will start a thread for BETAs on my two MH maps (i am working on them both at the same time, lol!!!)

Cheers
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Nope just post in here, seems my last test the damn pawns got stuck on the ramp again. all it takes is a very very very low amount of human help, but really bugs me considering I watched it play on slomo 10 with one bot like at least 300 times, and another 1000 times before that.

Don't know if there is a way to make a bot in god mode but it would help speed up testing maps like a lot !!!

Ya I am sure there has got to be some things STILL messed up. I suppose I could redo it one more friggen time :evil:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:Don't know if there is a way to make a bot in god mode but it would help speed up testing maps like a lot !!!

Ya I am sure there has got to be some things STILL messed up. I suppose I could redo it one more friggen time :evil:
Why you simply don't relax and mind tiny simple things? TEST a path in a ramp yourself without any BOT. Try to understand how works RememberSpot and ShowPath commands. Kill all monsters, place RememberSpot, go back down, see what happens at ShowPath (log also speaks). If you have a good path found by youself be sure Bot won't mess (Bot is 1 UU smaller than player so has a lil additional chance to find path - no need to mention that he can see through JumpSpot but you can't).
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You are right I just did it the less technical way, but there are too many variables in the map that could upset the pawns or bots. I am making the bots do a lot of stuff and there is some long distances. It will work perfect over and over but all it takes is for one pawn to stare one way and never see a bot or visa versa.

Yes I remember reading about that years ago I never got into the down pat technical ways using the engine or some of those bot programs for pathing. The only main reason is I didn't make the ramps wide enough and the bots needed brute force (lift exit-lift center-extracost 0) for such long ramps. So it adds a bit of randomness because the ramps have two paths in parallel.

The pawns are on a patrol, the bots will only want to go to the next ramp only if all the pawns have been killed per section first.
So it makes a dilemma, since I made the ramps open only until the pawns are killed off. but yet the only way to get the bots want to go up the ramp is to kill all the pawns for that section. That is why I made the pawns go on a patrol so they would eventually hit the bottom floor so the bots could see them, to kill them. They won't go up the ramp until the pawns have died using a counter. Once the section is done they then go up the ramp. There were many reasons other methods didn't work because I wanted the bots to act like they have motivation to continue. Not just a simple mover or trigger or lure them with pickups, gets real messy real quick that way.