Test my MH map, DONE, made for bots.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Test my MH map.

Post by Red_Fist »

Ok I found a few things, one path made it past a block all, few others a tad off, fixed the first part steps by windows, now a short ramp.
I see what you mean, that cleaned up a lot of garbage paths, tons of them, very cool Higor !!! appreciate it.

Make sure people delete these things till it's done, I realize these test maps should not be uploaded, so just make sure you delete the old ones, Still not done

Final version, .... almost done, hold on.

I don't know if you are doing more, but here is the most current map.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

K nuked my link.
Will test tomorrow.

BTW the main slowdown cause in the water room is that you have a couple of pipes with extremely high polycount + dynamic lighting on them from the dispersion projectiles.
If you're not going to rebuild those pipes, at least align the border's texture to floor and then merge the faces to reduce the lightmap count from 32 (?) to 1.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hmm, which room, up top with tank ? or the other side dropping drops, not decos but brushes ?

The two pipes dropping drops are not on the floor, not sure what you mean.

I know what room, I will check it out.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Both versions of the map, keep running into the same problem:
Opened the .utx, it's got textures that're 512 resolution in them.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Lol, was experiencing those crashes and I changed my d3d9 ini to make it work, now it works just fine to use any of those 512 textures.

Downloading and gonna check out the map.

Edit: Yeah, when u use openGL, u won't notice about the texture size problem how D3D9 end up having. I think the reason is, in D3D9, if the .ini setting is kinda mess up, or changed, somehow it won't work in certain way. I really haven't looked into comparing OpenGL and D3D9 codes and see what's up, but it will be more common for peoples who use D3D9 regularly without a proper ini edit to be able to run those textures or crash. Having the same .ini setting from OpenGL to D3D9 doesn't always work either, so it's a bit of a think and tweak idea to find the right settings.
Last edited by Chamberly on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I dunno I been able to use 512 textures for like so long I didn't think they wouldn't work. I always use openGL and has always worked maybe like 3 video cards ago, I think it will even do 1024, not sure. Pretty sure I read about it ages and ages ago that you can use them for editing.

Very close to being done, just a few things left.
So let me have some opinions for changes, whoever tests it.

thanks.

I did some funky things to some lights that might be the problem, but I never use d3d, and it don't crash in the editor.
D3d always makes me wait a log time if I hit ALT TAB to windows, OpenGL I can ALT TAB as fast as I can hit the keys, and openGL looks better, so for years I never used d3d.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Alright, I played with D3D9. This is the crash message I get: http://i.gyazo.com/dfe2cca7e8bc013b835238c232a88be0.png (it's d3d9 at fault first)
My D3D9 ini on my laptop (didn't tweak it, but I tweaked the one on my pc and don't feel like doing so for my laptop):
Playing with OpenGL is just fine. But from what I can figure out, if you use a custom texture size, d3d9 don't like it if it wasn't set up for it lol. 128x512, etc. for example.

I just thought of, if you make a 256x256 or w/e texture, and stretch it out with a brush... then d3d9 won't crash? O_o idk, never tried it.

Random find in log: Exit: Double fault in object ShutdownAfterError <<LOL from a crash.
Ferbotz not too spammy as I tested with v17 yay. But still... what's the actual MH mod I should be using instead for offline mode?

Edit: Alright, I started to get more lags when it come to those double pipes that is blue/red. Then I end up being lagged throughout the whole game, hanging in 40 fps lol. I gotta wait and see to try it on my PC, will be about 2 more days. Sorry, but if you don't want to wait that long... go ahead. lol.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

D3D can't handle the larger textures nearly as well as Ogl. Also you must use mipmaps when importing textures. A good rule of thumb is never use textures above 256X256 so you don't create problems for people with older/less powerful systems.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

hmm, interesting, Higor told me about those pipes and I did what he said, but I bet it is the spawning of those drops along with everything going on in that room.
I made it so you can shoot those explosions and set property changers that make it all go away by setting the lifespan t zero.

So try that on the laptop , if you will, and see if that is the lag.
Maybe I should change it to just shutoff after 60 seconds, since I have it all ready to do by shooting the pipe opening.

The way I always took it was this game was made to look better for the voodoo3D "Glide" cards, and D3D or software was terrible , but when I got into newer vid cards and the new openGL drivers, was it made it look better as it did with the voodoo and more compatible with windows desktop, D3D has and always has been trouble for me, I been getting Nvidia cards all along, so I don't know about what happens with ATI. The big problem with D3D as far as all games goes (not so much now) but the blacks are always too black, and the whites are too bright. I was soooo happy to have that gamma spread setting. I set it to .1 and I still get black and white but don't burn my eyes. Also that d3d is too dependent on hardware somehow, d3D has been trouble ever since d3D6 pain in the ass, and continued with Unreal-UT.

I could have kept textures at 256, as I would never think in this more modern days it was nothing to be concerned about.
I run an i7 2.6 ghz and a Nvidia GS-450 6 gig of ram, win7 64bit everything, every game I run at 1024 by 768 I have a square LCD.

I just never considered optimizing, only a little bit.
I suppose I could change the textures but would foul some things up and be a lot of hassle. But then I would like it to be compatible.

That's what I will do for that, put the drops on timed trigger for 60 seconds, because they are fairly obnoxious, and or, lag issues.

EDIT
I really don't want to reduce the texture size, you guys running a 386 or what ? !! :mrgreen:
Never heard of that problem till now.

Is that happening with like the first d3d stock renderer or the new one, or both, ? d3d sucks bigtime, I just don't get why anyone would want to use it over openGL, or if it's a ATI video card symptom.

Anyway I have the drips and lights and sparks ending in 60 seconds by them selves now, so that should help lag with all that.

Final version coming, no links in this thread other than UTtech4 texture that I will include in the ZIP.
Also no 512 texture changes, I need one to spread a rainbow for lights using it,

If you have problems, either use openGL or stop playing :loool: \

I am very surprised a 512 by 512 texture would mess things up, but this texture file has a 1024 by 1024 in it,
until you fix the 512 issue (that should not exist) this map ain't for you. ie , use openGL.

EDIT

I did a few more things, is basically almost done, but lets say a week, I been listing items for sale, on a roll, at the moment.

Added a few wicked free roaming pawns around. (you will hate me lolzzzz)
Added mover so the last area can't mess up near the end.
Checking mover sounds.
Added a teleporter to half way up the last room so not so long walk.
Adjusted a few bot paths.
Need to test a few more times.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Test my MH map. W.I.P.

Post by Red_Fist »

Getting closer.

I got rid of the large textures, so the texture file will be new ,different. delete the old one or stash it.
the file " mycacham.utx " will be obsolete, new version will be in the finished ZIP.

Got rid of all but 2 levers, now it's a button with a wall stand with a deco panel, effect of TV snow that changes into a display after you hit the button. I made it for the SP version, it looks better, but also helps the bots, so I went through and replaced all the levers with those but not the ones under water.

I might add some effect(s) for he last large room.

The tubes with explosions, drips now ends in 20 seconds by themselves, 60 was too long.
and fixed a few other things.

So far so good, not sure if I want to add more, but I might. (no map links yet)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Man, since I changed the levers to buttons, got into yet another bot conundrum, pretty sure I got it now. Was using one bot for testing, don't take much to mess them up.
Added some kind of skyzone
Changed a few textures
Had to add 2 more waypoints that cured a few other work around
All textures are now 256 or lower size.
I will pack it up with a readme, 2 texture files, jpg and one UNR after I do a play-through and of course a few more tests for bots. A few more adjustments for the skybox.

Hope it works, pretty much past testing phase since I been working on this thing for one or two weeks solid. everyday.
Most was spent on those damn bots, but I need to call it done.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Good luck, I'm looking forward to this map quite a bit :tu:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well the last time I screwed up putting in a second hard drive and the stupid program from seagate, well somehow it tricked me and I friggen wiped all my files on the WRONG drive.
Now, my new system got this wierd thing it won't turn on, no money, the power seems to be getting to the board. All i need is a test power supply before I buy anything.
All my old computer stuff or parts are all too old to swap things, I have no SATA, no correct supplies, RAM, nothing !!!
I wanted to get this thing done, but nooooooooooooo :cry:

This system is win 2000 pro, have to use Opera, 12.? it is sooo slow, ie6 is instant, Opera scrolls slow hourglass mouse icon stays even though everything is done loading.

Anyway I have no way to get my files off of my other system to go through all the trouble of trying to finish on win2000.

Why can't these idiots give us a browser that works for DOS 1 to windows 2000, I don't care about security :evil: so long as I stick to my regular sites. Now my online selling is affected, printer, shipping lables, everything, I don't make much sales but this sucks, my system isn't broken !!!
All they need to do is get rid of that stupid ass soft power on BS !!! and everything would be working just fine.
Same for stereos, dumb ass people need to use a remote to turn on the damn thing, I hate it, and causes more problems that need be.

BBL
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Got my system working, it was the power supply even though it shown powering the board, and it worked with all voltages out of the case with power-on pins shorted.
It appears there is a turn on time for supplies now, I pushed the button it just would not turn on, and I could make it happen by unplugging my computer.

I just stayed away from here cuz I was so pissed at not getting my files with UT, now I have a 750w Corsair, and the damn thing turns on now aaaaaaaaarg.
It wouldn't do windows updates and I had to click warning to see any webpage. since I changed the battery as well, on your systems make sure you change the date to the correct year.
Got a new keyboard coming, got my files back, and try and remember where I left off on this MH map, getting close but STILL not done !! fight to the finish with this dang thing LoL.

Now I will see the contest maps, and Late Happy new year and Merry Christmas.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Yay!!! you are back ... A happy new year for you too ;)

Why don't you try to get a copy of Win XP with Service pack 3? It's cheap on ebay and it's much more stable than Win2000.
Or some grounded Linux?