CTF-Skyride 2014

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Crash7
Novice

CTF-Skyride 2014

Post by Crash7 »

Here's my updated version of CTF-Skyride.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e3fxs ... de2014.zip

Thanks to Higor for the liftcenter/exitdistant thing. I wouldn't have even bothered with the remake without that.

Also thanks to JackGriffin for his work on that trigger. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use it. Even if I could get the bots to cooperate properly with that toggle mover, it was going to screw up sometimes. It came down to a choice between gondolas that worked awesome most of the time but would occasionally screw up and gondolas that worked well all of the time and never screwed up. :tongue:

And here's some action shots:
Skyride4.jpg
Skyride3.jpg
Skyride2.jpg
Skyride1.jpg
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: CTF-Skyride 2014

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Think I tried the older version about a week ago (really enjoyed playing it), glad to see it updated. :gj:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I've never seen the map you upgraded, so when I try yours it will be an entirely new experience for me. I have, however, seen maps with "gondolas" or such things and just had a blurb on that.

No elaborate triggers were necessary. I'm assuming by what you've said here that you get on a gondola and then you hit a switch and then it goes across or something.
Spoiler
Map I'm most familiar with that's similar is CTF-Eagles:
In that case all you need to do is enter a "gondola" and after a couple seconds it proceeds on its way across the map to the other flag base.
I've seen similar done with subway stations, train stations, and helicopter pads.
Looking forward to trying your map out tonight, if I'm awake enough when I get home to remember to download it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I'll be testing this on Chamberly's server, if it works for Siege I might get it up and running in uK's Siege server.
Crash7
Novice

Post by Crash7 »

EvilGrins wrote:I've never seen the map you upgraded, so when I try yours it will be an entirely new experience for me. I have, however, seen maps with "gondolas" or such things and just had a blurb on that.

No elaborate triggers were necessary. I'm assuming by what you've said here that you get on a gondola and then you hit a switch and then it goes across or something.
What I was trying to do was a toggle mover with a proximity trigger that would go across when entered and then wait for someone to get in before it came back. Problem was no matter what you set the retrigger delay for, it was still possible to accidentally retrigger it or get back within range of the trigger before the delay was over and then you'd have to step away from it and get back in. It was just more reliable to go with a standopentimed mover that would go when entered, stay there a given amount of time and then come back.

JackGriffin made the trigger that had the retrigger delay but was immediately useable at the start of the game. With the default trigger, it won't let you trigger it at the start until the delay has expired. Seemed kinda silly. I think what I was trying to do would be more useful than the default.
jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

Just tried it; pretty cool concept.
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

jay2 wrote:Just tried it; pretty cool concept.
True, just tried it and it's quite good.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Tested, everything's fine except from the mid zone and the gondolas.
Mid suffers from the typical CTF-Face invisible ground issue, and the gondolas take 47 seconds on the clients while the server does make them run in 40 secs, this results on players being seen imagedropping in front of the gondolas.
Mover's native replication is shit.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Tried it, loved it. Well, my bots tried it but there were no problems with pathing. They played the map great, even with the gondolas:
Only downside of the gondolas is they're REALLY slow. You can run across the map faster than they can travel the same distance. Mildly amusing the bots would shoot at the other gondola if an enemy player was in it, when they passed each other.

Very fun map!
Crash7
Novice

Post by Crash7 »

EvilGrins wrote: Only downside of the gondolas is they're REALLY slow. You can run across the map faster than they can travel the same distance. Mildly amusing the bots would shoot at the other gondola if an enemy player was in it, when they passed each other.

Very fun map!
Thanks, glad you liked it. The gondolas being slower than on foot is by design. You're trading speed for some protection. :tongue: And if need be, you can catch up to a gondola and toss a translocator into it.

Speaking of which, here's a pointless but amusing challenge. Start a game with just you in it, ride your gondola across, wait in the enemy base 8 seconds and get in the other gondola so that they're close to in sync. Then see how many times you can translocate between the gondolas before they get back to your base. I think my record is 7.

BTW, how is that medkit in the gondola?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Crash7 wrote:BTW, how is that medkit in the gondola?
I often play with the Pinata mutator, which drops items a player is holding when they're killed. Also has an option for a random health drop.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

looks sweet!
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8