Quick Ued question.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
rtg
Average
Personal rank: the incredable kid

Quick Ued question.

Post by rtg »

How can i snap actor objects to the grid? I really need this for my light actors placement work.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Quick Ued question.

Post by Hellkeeper »

In the actor's properties, under the Advanced tab, set bEdShoudSnap to true.

EDIT: it will make the light dependont on the grid when you move them but it will not instantly snap it to a grid point. For that, under the Movement tab, set its Location coordinates to a grid point (the easiest is to set it to 0;0;0 and then move it).
You must construct additional pylons.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Sorry to ask......"Snap to grid".....I've seen this option many times.
What exactly is it for or what does it do? :oops:

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

You mean small button in right of command line in editor ? Its for brush snapping to grid, when you disable it, brushes are no longer snap to current grid size when you move them (never disable this !)

Really I dont know what you asking for but:

GREEEN - ALWAYS HAVE THIS ENABLED
RED - DISABLE THIS EVERYTIME WHEN YOU OPEN UED, this cause brushes to snap to grid by pivot, and pivot is not interesting us, only vertices need to stay where they are (in UEd 3.0 this is disabled by default)
Attachments
screen0132 19.50.jpg
screen0132 19.50.jpg (5.29 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Last edited by Radi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Pileyrei wrote:Sorry to ask......"Snap to grid".....I've seen this option many times.

Piley
Radi gave you the explanation about the "snap to grid" button. The other thing is that all actors have bEdShouldSnap in their Advanced properties which, depending on whether it's true or false, allows you to move actors in increments of the grid size (ie: you move it 16 units at the time in any direction if you have a grid set on 16) if it's true, or move completely freely if it's false (and you will get coordinates like 15,19468 instead of 16,00000 for instance).
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Thank you guys :)

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Never used it since UT or mapping, like 10 years or more, I always set the grid to 1 unless I need big measurements quick.

It gives a problem that I don't like because all you need to do is make the brushes to end up on the grid by design in the first place.

Otherwise you can line up deco or lights by editing the "location" in the actor properties to the most accurate degree X,Y,Z coordinates.

Edit---------------- by papercoffee

Hellkeeper wrote:
Pileyrei wrote:Sorry to ask......"Snap to grid".....I've seen this option many times.

Piley
Radi gave you the explanation about the "snap to grid" button. The other thing is that all actors have bEdShouldSnap in their Advanced properties which, depending on whether it's true or false, allows you to move actors in increments of the grid size (ie: you move it 16 units at the time in any direction if you have a grid set on 16) if it's true, or move completely freely if it's false (and you will get coordinates like 15,19468 instead of 16,00000 for instance).
sure but, setting the grid to 1 can't achieve any closer resolution from the engine and editor. I have always used grid 1, always.

No double posts. Please use the Edit button.

oops, sorry
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Red_Fist wrote:sure but, setting the grid to 1 can't achieve any closer resolution from the engine and editor. I have always used grid 1, always.
I'm not sure I understand, but in any case, I prefer to have the grid set to 16 most of the time and only downsize it when I need precise positionning for details. Viewports get cluttered when the grid is too small.