Looking for a special version of DM-AcraineTemple!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
*Kr!D_o)
Average

Looking for a special version of DM-AcraineTemple!

Post by *Kr!D_o) »

It's been a while since I've seen it. But would anyone here by chance happen to know where I could find a specific version of DM-AcraineTemple>? In the version I am looking for, inside, in the middle of the map under the bridge where the belt sits, there are 2 little streams of watter. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I have been looking for this map for a while now and I can't seem to find it anywhere! I greatly appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to share this with me if you have it! Please and thank you!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Looking for a special version of DM-AcraineTemple!

Post by Red_Fist »

The only other version I can think of was from Hellscrag from unrealsp.org
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

You sure about that spelling? Not "Arcane Temple"?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I know the map, are you sure it's not ArcaneTemple][
*Kr!D_o)
Average

Post by *Kr!D_o) »

Yes sorry for the typo's but I am not sure. I can't remember how long ago (so it must have been some time) but I went thru and looked at every version I could find of DM-ArcaneTemple and couldn't find it. It might be the ][ version but I can't remember for sure.

EDIT:
Nope, I just went and looked and again can't find the map. The only other version I found is DM-ArcaneTemple-LE-102 and that's not it. But I have an idea. I never thought about scowering thru the (.uz) redirect directories and unsuppressing the maps to look for it. I might do this if noone is able to help me out ..
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Google these (if you can't find any hits I can upload them):

DM-ArcaneTemple][-LITE.unr
DM-ArcaneTempleDEMO.unr
DM-ArcaneTemple][-LE.unr

This is one of the issues I have found with UT: so many people have tweaked and modded maps yet not changed the name to reflect the changes. I have so many copies of "arcane temple" and some of them are different filesizes. This means that something is probably different about them but who knows. Thus, I keep everything! :)
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I'm certain that is the one you mean, but there are others on the same redirect. I still say the original is the best, and one of the best maps in the game
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Carbon wrote:This means that something is probably different about them but who knows. Thus, I keep everything! :)
Let's say some dudes are playing with Humans and Bots as well. If map has spots where Bot is acting like retards for sure it will be modified - I can describe even a default stock one messing up Bot and even developing console errors. For sure admins which don't want console infected with garbage will tweak things - me, personally I did more stock non-public modifications in purpose to gain a better A.I. Valid Examples:
CTF-Command - crappy ramp pathing and 0 pathing through ventilation system.
CTF-November - Red Defence in Blue Base, LOL - it has hidden spots for camping with Flag in purpose to keep score advantage...
CTF-Coret - We know that it can be better randomized, right ?
Some DM (cannot recall name right now) - Bot got stucked at a wall and other time at some UDamage spot as long as was added an useless PathNode near an Inventory messing up Path;
- and so on until last stock map.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

I know the reasons why these things get modified.

However, and not to put to fine a point on it - as I have said it before - but anything that is modified in a map should be noted in the file name or at least a 'readme' file; its the only way to keep things straight and to give credit to all contributors to making a map more polished (including the original author is just basic etiquette; trying to contact them is best). If not, we end up as I have with many maps of the same name but different filesizes or if the size is essentially the same (the difference between types of compression with archives can make a small difference) but even the pathing or something else small has been tweaked players and server admins need to know which map is which.

Document everything publicly, I say.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Hmm, I've started a new website to post all my projects on. I'm going put the URL in my sig as soon as there is actually content

Well that's not all my projects, Carbon, I'm working on a site running some php scripts that allow people to search and download any file and it's dependencies. There will be lots of documentation concerning different file versions. I'd say looking at whats on offer at the moment this will be an extemely valuable resource. A catalog of UT files if you like. This project began in my garage so to speak, at least it's not on some crappy temp www host where I cannot even swap the hard drives without losing files. However, expect slow updates on this project while I prioritize the first site
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

That sounds good. To be honest, I have a lot of files for UT too; as I said before, I keep everything and always have. I have also been thinking along these lines and spoke briefly to noccer about some things as well but am on the fence still about how I will go about things. Keep me posted on the project bill.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:My plan is a simple forum where every time a file is updated I make a new post. Very simple. I don't want to spam forums like this with dozens of files that are being updated occasionally. Higor only has a few projects he posts here but I have many more. If your post was referring to the php proejct, they're not my files, they are the community's. It's based on the the ut-files.com (old gameservers.com) redirect