MH map, sort-of contest.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

MH map, sort-of contest.

Post by Red_Fist »

On this other map I made a bunch of sets in "groups" of both Higors no path spawnpoints and sets of regular spawnpoints with creature factories. So each group of 16 can be selected separately then you can instantly pick your creature (prototype) for that section of the map, or you could mix them up if you wanted.

So I was thinking of making a base simple map, or even just a large cube, but have sort of like a "ready for MH" predone map. All you need to do is make something and toss in the best, health to weapon to enemy to spam ratio. As a contest I guess it would only be judged on how you arranged it for game play, no tricky mapping is needed.

You could use any non stock pawn, or weapons, but the ratio is what counts for game play fun factor.
I don't mind maps that you shoot one boss forever, nor do I care about how goofy those original MH maps look. But some of those old crappy looking simple MH maps had, or still have a fun factor about each one.

But if you had a map to start with and not have to make all the spawnpoints tags and some other things, but mainly you make a map and use up the sets of 16 easy premade selectable spawnpoints with it's creature factory.

I am going to make the map anyway since I already made like 12 sets, I think I will make it 20 sets, 10 Higors and 10 stock and just put it here, it might come in handy.

Not really a contest unless others want to chime in.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: MH map, sort-of contest.

Post by EvilGrins »

Sorry to oversimplify, but did you mean edit an existing map?

That's where I live!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

EvilGrins wrote:Sorry to oversimplify, but did you mean edit an existing map?

That's where I live!
It really doesn't matter so much, maybe someone could make the map, then I could edit it to add the raw materials. Of which you could use all or delete what I supply with the map. But it would save people a lot of time since you can select a group.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Well, I suppose we could go back and finish up this · viewtopic.php?p=71980#p71980

I recall, from when we last worked on that, there was some interest in making it so the trees were a bit more solid... along with trying to get bots & players to more fully traverse the map for monsters that aren't directly in line with the goals to complete it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

EvilGrins wrote:Well, I suppose we could go back and finish up this · viewtopic.php?p=71980#p71980

I recall, from when we last worked on that, there was some interest in making it so the trees were a bit more solid... along with trying to get bots & players to more fully traverse the map for monsters that aren't directly in line with the goals to complete it.
That is really not such a bad MH map. All I can think is make a map (on paper) and decide how you want it to progress. You are much more knowledgeable than me as for knowing more pawns types and weapon types. The bots don't have to work, but the gameplay needs to be considered.

It's hard for me to know what to do for gameplay, how many, how much health, ammo etc etc

and another huge disconnect I have is running maps-games on servers. Because I don't know if, are these guys making a map super spammy and outrageous by using mods or something ?

Because, making a normal map for one player but enough shooting for 8 or more players, but are the severs making it so heavy duty for any map ?.
I don't know where to start, so I figure just make it like a SP map and let the sever dude add his mutators. OR should the map be made to be insane spam or whatever?
Is the question.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

There must be a modification for a MH map which activates X amount of monsters depending on the amount of player.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

papercoffee wrote:There must be a modification for a MH map which activates X amount of monsters depending on the amount of player.
I am redoing my last one only for massive insane spam fest. I just don't know how overkill to make it before you need a redeemer. 1000 pawns per door opening ? 5000, 500, 100, 50 ?

The whole thing gravitates around the same motive. If I made each pawn die in 4 points, player 1 point, then the weapons would only ever be as high as 5 or ten hit points.

So it's a matter of spam that makes a map last longer for more players, but yet we can insert pawns that have 1 million hit points. It's all very confusing to know when to stop.

OH, like Serious Sam vs 7Bullets.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:but yet we can insert pawns that have 1 million hit points.
Please, no..... everything but this.
A good fight is not more fun if you have to fire at a pawn for several hours.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

papercoffee wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:but yet we can insert pawns that have 1 million hit points.
Please, no..... everything but this.
A good fight is not more fun if you have to fire at a pawn for several hours.
Yes but, yet again if you have 8 or more guys drilling the thing adds some MH character to the map.
but Then again.

What really happens is, you get into a long massive kill and some guy goes on the server and F's the thing all up. all that work and the Fn map changes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Small bump
Regarding to this "edit", maybe I should say "small fix". As long as I have recorded a complain about some levels I could see not a lot of grave MH flaws, but this "map" is extremely... interesting :loool:

Start:
[attachment=3]A_Lot_Of_Starts.JPG[/attachment]

Monsters:
[attachment=2]Monsters_setup.JPG[/attachment]

Interesting movers
[attachment=1]A_Mover.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Other_Mover.JPG[/attachment]
Of course I won't spam other "settings".
I'm totally appreciating this engine able to handle somehow all products from all kind sick people.
The story is that simple: I'm gonna screw this trash - I don't ask anyone about that as long as a lot of years nobody moved a finger - and has the suffix Fix2. I was wondering if in Fix512 will be a normal map. I recommend a medical examination...

Not the last thing, it has Bot Support - more exactly you have to support Bot or else is retarded (as map itself).
Attachments
Other_Mover.JPG
A_Mover.JPG
Monsters_setup.JPG
A_Lot_Of_Starts.JPG
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

What kind of evil sorcery produced that map?
Delete it from all planes of existance.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:There must be a modification for a MH map which activates X amount of monsters depending on the amount of player.
Higor's Coop comes to mind. I have it on my server, and more player join, more monsters there are. :loool:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Higor wrote:What kind of evil sorcery produced that map?
Delete it from all planes of existance.
Hold on, usually I'm not rushing...
To wonder about other things: How are Textures and map build if settings are retarded like that ? Lightning also was "nice".
As a theme: It might be good a C++ thing able to report actors having values for properties out of their normal form. Example Numeric loaded with Letter - simply log actor name (property in cause maybe it's wise to not be dropped out).

:mad2: I'll try to find info about that "mapper" and I'll setup a life-time ban policy for that area - usually people living in the same area have similar habits... It's not only about UT - I'll be thrilled to work with such people in real life.

For the rest of "Levels" unsigned I'll pick sometime to drop out trash. Also time will come for "experts" too. Why to not bite a bit their ass just for removing their butterflies from head containing idea "I'm a mapper". This is their help for community. In such case any MHx version where x = 2..10 won't be a controller to manage such brain-manure. You can work months to build better wrapped codes and all goes in toilette if you think that you have 800 Maps. Btw I don't need more than 1024 places in map vote and neither 8 columns. In a column I can set 3 game-types (if I need) and for maps is good to have a global number around 800 - Who play more ?
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

Never really got into the whole monsterhunt thing but wondering re: health / weapons etc.

Perhaps there could be like health/weapons factories which generate enough of each based on player count, could even have a set function which only allows players to take 1 item from factory each based on a respawn timer of sorts.

So , if there was 1 monster at say 1000 HP which required X (ammo) to destroy by 1 player.
Then the weapons factory would spawn say 10 * 100 ammo packs about the map.

As more players joined perhaps auto adjust these ammo packs accordingly not sure ?

But perhaps something like this..
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Need three maps, a contest.

Sending my last map, same map.

In this map you can set the amount, or amount of spam per door. Nothing special, just a bare bones.

Contest objective.
Create a different play, per given map.

I will supply a link to the files you need.
Someone ELSE needs to run the contest,

thanks