CTF-Korytarz (First Map Help)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: CTF-Korytarz (First Map Help)

Post by Red_Fist »

FragNBrag is correct, but don't get confused.

They are made to use for a mover "lift"exit "lift"center. However if you place the two ends liftexits and the center, liftcenter.
Inside the properties you will see "lifttag" that is NOT the event tag. There does not have to be a mover, just an arbitrary tag.
What happens is it will create a blue path line, and treat it as an unconditional path. It can come back and bite you in like if you put them to make that path, they will jump off a ledge and kill themselves.
So they will follow it even if you don't want them to.

Inside the liftcenter, I add a little bit like 16 or 32 to the "Zdifferentialadd" so a hieth on a ramp ends low high or just a large stairway or ledge.
So you could have a ramp that is 1024 unreal units high incline. set the differential add to 1024 and they should reach the end of a steep ramp, but the bots still resist if there is a better path if the ramp is too steep.

But also, if only using them just for a forced path, look at the "navigation" of the lift center, you will see "extracost, 400" change that to zero and it will be a forced path and act as a regular pathnode.

Movers are easy, but the thing that confuses the most are the keyframes. Think of a mover keyframe zero as a tether it always goes back to frame zero. so a lift waiting, or any other mover type will strive to always go back to keyframe zero.
With that in mind, you place the mover, right click, hit "key1" and move it to the place you want it to stop. Then right click again a set it back to frame zero. all the other settings just read about, but that is the basic thing to know.

You can build a map with a mover set at key1 and reverse the logic for certain uses. Like a door is closed on key 1 and open on key zero.
Binary Space Partitioning
Ruzainen
Novice

Post by Ruzainen »

sektor2111 wrote:In short terms you might call them UnrealUnits. An actor pawn by example has a place in map having location at coordinates X Y Z, distances between two actors can be measured in UU according to their spatial location.
Oh I see, thank you for that explanation, now I understand your tips on pathing!
Red_Fist wrote:FragNBrag is correct, but don't get confused...
Great info, thank you Redfist, very helpful to me! :tu:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

"Hey many thanks for the offers Radi. I may take you up on the mesh offer. But I've been using the 'The Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide', found herehttp://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=UEditor_Developing/, and it said somewhere that using a lot of meshes is not the best idea because UE1 renders every mesh in complete detail regardless of player proximity, or something to that effect. So I thought just a ton of semi-solids would be computationally less intensive. I know meshes are easier on the GPU in later UE versions because UE2 and up render from one reference mesh regardless of the total number of copies in the level, but I don't know if UE1 does that. But anyway thanks again for your offer and info on pathing! :D "
Thats not true that meshes are rendered in full quality regardless of player proximity.
Based on my average knowledge:
- meshes are rendered as a whole even when you see its one vertex, something like that
- meshes are less demanding on CPU (than bsp) but only if these are not too detailed and many on view in the same time
- once mesh is loaded in memory, every instance of this mesh (ex, duplicated many times) do not use more RAM
- LOD meshes in UT dynamically alter level of detail based on player proximity, less polys from afar, and full detail in close range - this is good because we don't need fully detailed mesh when its barely visible from far away :)
Last edited by Radi on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Probably A.I. can see through meshes having often a suicide in lunch's menu when these aren't tweaked well?... :loool:
Radi
Adept

Post by Radi »

:D
Pawns see through meshes, yes.
Even AI pathes are genereated through meshes, and mappers must deal with that