Jump Spot - need bJumpBootsOnly

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Jump Spot - need bJumpBootsOnly

Post by Red_Fist »

Same "principal" was only referring to "jump" comparing to "lift"
Binary Space Partitioning
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

So what is the diferent between LiftCenter and JumpSpot? :help:
Could there be a NavigationPoint subclass which bots simply jumped (normally, with boots or hammer jumping) to from anywhere else to reach it? Then they done their path as usual.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I dunno, but I read about the difference someplace between the two. But I wouldn't use a jumspot in place of a lift center if indeed a lift-mover is being used.

But you can use a lift center -lift exit(s) combo just to make a path with no mover.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Gustavo6046 wrote:So what is the diferent between LiftCenter and JumpSpot? :help:
LiftCenter helps any pawn (I really mean any Pawn which can do some movement) to travel a Lift or a small place without a lift, or a special place which doesn't get linked normally by Editor with PathNodes, or that path looks denied for some reason. In case of retarded behavior, a Monster includes "Jumper" stuff - yes, this thing it is addressing Monsters the mostly.
JumpSpot - this stuff cannot be used by other creatures than BOT, and of course Bot will use it depending on stuff loaded (ImpactHammer or Translocator or UT_JumpBoots). Monster looking for a goal if does encounter the way through JumpSpot won't do too much travel - is discarded as invalid Seeker, including human player. However depending on combat situation Monster will try to hunt enemy directly discarding stupid pathing directives as long as it is interested to get rid of enemy if is able to reach it using tactical features.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Thanks! This way I can replace my TranslocDests by JumpSpots?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Great post sektor :tu:
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Thanks! This way I can replace my TranslocDests by JumpSpots?
setup a test map, and try a few things, watch the bots in spec mode.

Make them jump up and land on a platform, then jump off grabbing a pickup.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:LiftCenter helps any pawn (I really mean any Pawn which can do some movement) to travel a Lift or a small place without a lift, or a special place which doesn't get linked normally by Editor with PathNodes, or that path looks denied for some reason. In case of retarded behavior, a Monster includes "Jumper" stuff - yes, this thing it is addressing Monsters the mostly.
JumpSpot - this stuff cannot be used by other creatures than BOT, and of course Bot will use it depending on stuff loaded (ImpactHammer or Translocator or UT_JumpBoots). Monster looking for a goal if does encounter the way through JumpSpot won't do too much travel - is discarded as invalid Seeker, including human player. However depending on combat situation Monster will try to hunt enemy directly discarding stupid pathing directives as long as it is interested to get rid of enemy if is able to reach it using tactical features.
Only one question from me ... where do I place a LC or a JS? I did see many maps where those actors were placed on ground and some placed them near destination.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Red_Fist wrote:
Gustavo6046 wrote:Thanks! This way I can replace my TranslocDests by JumpSpots?
setup a test map, and try a few things, watch the bots in spec mode.

Make them jump up and land on a platform, then jump off grabbing a pickup.
What I'm going to do! Thanks!
EDIT: The match is DM, interestingly the bot that spawned in the Translocator + TranslocDest platform didn't moved. The only one that suceeded to go past the tests is the one of jump boots; not even the Hammerjumper did it! But why the Hammerjumper failed? oh, it might be because the skill is so far Novice...

Weapon of Destruction
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The trans has to be used in the match, so that is out unless you run the match with a trans.
I despise the trans and should ONLY be used for CTF

They will do an impact jump, but things need to be aimed better, height distance. AND !!! a desire for them to even think about wanting to jump up there.

Same for jump boots, so long as they have a reason to use them, like a shield belt they want to jump to.
you will have the best outcome using the jump boots and a destination that has a pickup.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

TranslocStart/TranslocDest - My personal attempts were initially to replace these - some day probably will be doable. These are buggy if we want a full-pawn DM/CTF/etc. Seeker code is messed up - I crashed game once. It's addressing Bot but the sanity check against other seekers doesn't exist, stupidly calling unexistent Bot when seeker is not a Bot. Being a NavigationPoint, by screwing Navigation in game you will crash game - it's doable using some evilized mutator (what for after all). Stuff to clone these into other wrapped things doesn't exist and Higor's BotzMutator is still buggy (I found links through walls, crashes, or I am too dumb for that).

Such spots are useless if Bot seeker doesn't include Translocator as I know so far, paths pasing through these being discarded, yes, we have Uscript able to remove Navigation but we have NOTHING to add Navigation (thanks Tim), except Editor.

I'm not using such maps into my DM because bugs me a lot. I have in my DM a Bot feature added to player as well where said player can find other enemy using paths - helpful when 2 players are crawling map looking for each-other wasting time rather than fighting, or when Monster is looking for you and maybe you want to look for it too - as long as it might be spawned too far. Enhanced code speaks when enemy went reachable - no DLL involved it's only UScript.
That's why I removed all those empty cubes called maps because for me those are garbages for wiping a$$ with them + those with bugged paths. Pathing stuff it's a pity and all mapper should use it. Also we have some basic pathing documentation which mainly is relevant.
For tiny info we can debate a pathing thread if you wanna find small/useful tricks doable - and tested.

Edit >
Red_Fist wrote:AND !!! a desire for them to even think about wanting to jump up there.
Terminator II wrote:Desire is irelevant, I'm a machine...
Lol, joking.

Edit2 >
papercoffee wrote: Only one question from me ... where do I place a LC or a JS? I did see many maps where those actors were placed on ground and some placed them near destination.
Speaking about DM, when pickup is on a high spot it's advisable JumpSpot + LiftExit around that pickup as long as JumpSpot is main factor for jumping/translocating. But can be used in many ways - I prefer LiftCenter or custom Nodes in case of failures at lower spots dealing with MaxZDiffAdd + a Jumping trigger if needs - I gotta admit I did not pathed yet zones having 12-15 UU width but for 20-30 UU things worked fine even for me not only for Bot - also a SkaarjGunner was blowing me up coming that way... I suspect a bug when you get over some internal lower boundary, which I'm using to gain a pathing advantage in bad zones, Editor being convinced to add paths there even if in default it doesn't do anything.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Thanks sektor! :tu:
Finally I can remake my Rocketfight map properly. :lol2:

off-topic:
Now I need a good way to trigger cannons in a DM match ...they should hate everyone they can "see" and fire at him. And not just because they got triggered by a redeemer blast.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:off-topic:
Now I need a good way to trigger cannons in a DM match ...they should hate everyone they can "see" and fire at him. And not just because they got triggered by a redeemer blast.
As I know so far they are triggered by Players even in Non team-games. If they aren't so efficient and/or they need to be haters for any pawn, these are doable with a tiny Karmic trigger. For hunting Non-Player is your problem if things will get rammed... I have spoke about this already but testing won't hurt nobody.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:
papercoffee wrote:off-topic:
As I know so far they are triggered by Players even in Non team-games. If they aren't so efficient and/or they need to be haters for any pawn, these are doable with a tiny Karmic trigger. For hunting Non-Player is your problem if things will get rammed... I have spoke about this already but testing won't hurt nobody.
This is the Map I'm talking about
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/search/pa ... cketfight-
...please don't look at the pathing, I was a naive noob when I mad this map.
I had no clue about jump-spots or good bot paths.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"a desire for them to even think about wanting to jump up there."

They certainly do, but put in terms to describe, not machine code, the end result is just that, or they would never use a property called "maxdesirability."

I have made enough maps to know how to make bots have a general flow of the whole map for DM. To cycle through a map and have them evenly dispersed at the same time.

Most everything I do is use the stock resources or actors to get them to do what I want, not jump into coding.
I like to fool the engine by using only the stock actors used in unconventional ways.

If you want to re-write the code for the whole engine, be my guest.