Request of CTF mapmakers

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Request of CTF mapmakers

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm prepping the release of FoodFight and I'd like to include a half dozen or so CTF maps with it. If you are a mapper with some small CTF maps then I'd like to ask your permission to possibly include your map. Some things I'd like to have:

- Small overall map size
- I'd like it to be of a simpler layout. It doesn't need to be complicated as it is mostly just to show how BurgerCTF works.
- No external package dependencies for anything not included in the normal game. Again, this is just to keep file size low.

If you have a map that would fit in this criteria I'd like to use it. I will be adding a single actor to the map's center that will give the burger a place to spawn and that will be the only alteration. I'll adjust the map name however you feel it should be done. Something like CTF-MyUberCoolMap(BCTF).unr would be great but I'm willing to accommodate whatever.

I only want maps that you have done and not maps that will work within what I'd like to do. I really need permission to do the map alteration if I'm going to include the map into the final zip. You are welcome to reply here or PM/email me if you want to do it privately. OFC you'll get full credits in the download.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: Request of CTF mapmakers

Post by FraGnBraG »

How much time have we got?
I'm slowly getting back into things (new job/new pc, etc) so a simple CTF might be good to get me going :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Wouldn't some of the 512k CTF map works for you?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I plan on doing the full release during the week of the 13th. That gives you like 2 weeks+ AND I'd be very happy to do any sort of script work you might need if you are going to commit. I can send you the mod to look at the actor list, etc if you want that too. It doesn't have to be FF related at all, you are free to do anything you like but you are welcome to use the mod if you want to go that route too.

There are a bunch of maps that would work Cham but I want direct permission from the authors before I alter and include them. If this were just my server I'd be less concerned but I don't want to send something out to be archived/shared that's not 100% content clear.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Oh alter them... hmm. Well I probably have 1, CTF-512kb-InACave, but I'd like to see before it get released, kinda curious what get added to the map.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok...
My recommendations for good BurgerCTF maps ...game play is the most important. But good visuals won't be prohibited. ;)

From the 300k Bilto map pack:
CTF-300k-AsthmaII
CTF-300k-BlitoMilk-UE (I fixed for my private use the spawn point issues)
CTF-300k-Bliffodyne
CTF-300k-Blitocracy
CTF-300K-Hobl
CTF-300k-LiandriDocks
CTF-300K-OMEGA
CTF-300k-Recondita
CTF-300k-WickedConcrete

From our 512k map pack:
CTF-512K-Gravo
CTF-512K-RooftopRage
CTF-512K-TheBeatGoesOn

Diverse maps I have in my folder: (you can find em on mapraider)
CTF-Hydro32
CTF-Emperor
CTF-Wether

You can see the range is from small to bigger maps.
Important for you guys who want to make an entire new map for FF:
-Not too many narrow (and long) corridors. We don't need labyrinths ;)
-Map-layout should be easy learnable.
-There is no Translocator in FF ...The Jelly and the Salad Thrower are the only items to reach higher spots. Keep this in mind.
-And Most important an easy accessible centre of the map ...No pillar or huge mountain, no Lava pit or water area.
-Ideally no powerup or item in the direct centre between both flags, just a pathnode.

In this centre area will be the Burger spot ...either by placing the burger spawn actor or by placing a pathnode.
Without the burger spawn in a map does the mod choose in the navigation network the most central spot of the map. Irrelevant if it's a item, weapon or powerup spawn. The burger will replace them ...what ever there should spawn instead is lost.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I opened a few of the 300k maps in editor and they were brush stripped. That's a sure sign that the makers didn't want them edited and it was the reason I posted this. I didn't look at any of the 512 contest maps though.

The maps can still be used with the mod, it's just that they can't be edited to make a set replacement spot for the burger. That's really what I was looking for with this.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote: The maps can still be used with the mod, it's just that they can't be edited to make a set replacement spot for the burger. That's really what I was looking for with this.
I edited even the brush stripped maps ...just re-calculate the bot path and let everything be at it is.
But I won't make those edited maps public.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

you can deintersect the whole map to see one large brush outlined.
Binary Space Partitioning
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I could hex edit the map and get the individual brushes back but that's not the point. Someone took the trouble to prevent their work from being used and I want to honor that. Surely there are thousands of CTF maps that devs have created that they wouldn't mind a single tiny alteration being done to them. It's been my experience that of the well over a hundred people I've asked permissions of over the years not a single one has been an absolute no. I don't have much doubt that I could pursue the makers of the 300k maps and get their individual OK's but I thought I'd ask first from the people who don't take steps to prevent usage.

There's a couple of weeks until release if you want to make one. When this goes live I'll be running a server and I promise you that your map will be playable online. Maps can be as simple as a Joust clone so it's not like it's huge work to start something new. In fact I'm thinking really hard about doing one myself if I can think of something cool enough.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

brushes are not in 300k maps due mainly to the rules. mappers deleted the brushes and to have more bytes towards the 300k limit... most mappers i think regarded the 300k maps as minor so never bothered to provided the "brushed" originals after the contests..

If you guys are interested in any 300k or brusheless FNB map i can easily provide the brushed version no probs, although, I usually released BOTH the brusheless contest map AND a brushed version in the same zipfile... so I would be surprised to find a fnb 300k zipfile that has only a brusheless map in it - unless its from a full contest zip. :) well, all my 300k maps are available separately and have brushed maps in the zip i'm sure!

Anyways, 2 weeks - I think I'll try and make a smallish CTF, simple styled theme rather than high details (an approach something like on some Johnny-Six Extreme woot maps) or like sonder-ish -- simple theme, nice lighting and trims - pretty looking without tons of details... are there some food fight weapon images I could use for poster-like decos? that would be nice :)

Getting some ideas bubbling now - 3 atriums, 3 levels of z, quick between flags, 8-10 players ... hmm...

hope ued2 works on this 8-core beast ;)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'll PM you a link so you can open the mod and take whatever screenshots you'd like. There are also these:
placeholder01.jpg
placeholder01.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
placeholder02.jpg
placeholder02.jpg (69.5 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
placeholder03.jpg
placeholder03.jpg (69.45 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
paper made them as placeholders for the pickups before the weapons were actually created. I wish I had a tenth of that level of artistic ability...

EDIT: Sent you the mod but I forgot to add that to place the burger you add the actor "NeutralFlagBase" to the spot you want the burger to spawn. Only place one! I sent you the readme for the mod but I hadn't gotten that far yet so this part is missing.

Lastly, here's the mapping section from the readme

Code: Select all

8) MAPPING WITH THE MOD

Mapping is pretty straightforward with a couple of exceptions. Place the weapons and pickups like you normally would, each has proper collision and should spawn at the right height provided you placed it right. One exception to this is the Jelly Jumper. If you want to place a Jelly Jumper you need to place a copy of the class "FoodFight.JellyAmmo" where you want the Jumper to spawn as a pickup. Because of issues with coding, this pickup works differently than all the others. Each player spawns with a Jelly Jumper in their inventory even though you will never know it. In order for it to become available for use you need to pick up an "ammo" for it in the form of the Jelly Jumper pickup. This all happens behind the scenes and the player sees this as a normal pickup. After they toss the Jelly Jumper the code sees the weapon as "empty" and it isn't seen by the player. NVM if none of this makes sense, just know it works and to place the proper class.

The other thing to know is that the BurgerCTF game will attempt to spawn a burger in the middle part of the map if there isn't a spawnpoint declared for it. The default CTF maps are all set up in the code and good spots are already chosen for those. If you run it on a non-standard map then it will look for a middle area between the flag bases and spawn a burger on a pathnode or pickup close by. This means maps where the flags are very close, like the ones where they are separated only by a wall, will not work well with letting the mod choose the location. No telling where it will spawn on those maps. If you are mapping your own stuff to use then you can place this actor:
"FoodFight.NeutralFlagBase"
and the mod will not look for a spot and instead use this before anything else. Only add a single actor because multiple placements will cause multiple burgers to spawn at the map start. I left this feature (cough BUG cough) in since it lends itself to some neat map design ideas. You could make several burger spawn at spots around the map and force the players to race together to get them. BTW, if there are more than a single burger spawn point then new burgers will NOT spawn when players score until total burgers on map gets back down to one. Your cap will still count though, it just won't spawn a replacement burger for that spawn point.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

It isn't always because the author didn't want to have his work edited, sometimes he only deletes the brushes to save filesize (especially in 300k and 512k maps like these it's true.

EDIT:Damnit, FnB beat me to it. :tongue:

Time to play UEd :P
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:EDIT: Sent you the mod but I forgot to add that to place the burger you add the actor "NeutralFlagBase" to the spot you want the burger to spawn. Only place one! I sent you the readme for the mod but I hadn't gotten that far yet so this part is missing.
Very useful for asymmetrical maps or maps with an unusual shape like my Northern Lights.
But like I mentioned here, you can also use a simple pathnode. If your map is symmetrical put a simple pathnode in the centre of the map (it must be the exact centre between both flags) ...no pickup of any kind just a pathnode.
Tested this on several maps ...for example on maps with bridges which cross each other in the Z-axis in the centre of the map (and on every bridge is a pathnode in the centre) did the burger spawn randomly on the different levels each round. This was fun. :wink:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

If you want to use one of my maps... go ahead. The FoT works are off-limits, though.