Is this possible plus map ideas

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Is this possible plus map ideas

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm glad to see you Al, I hope everything is great my friend. I was a bit worried but I thought I'd give it to the weekend to see if you happened by. (Thank God I don't have to explain cinematics now)

Guys, when it comes to mapping you can take his advice and go ahead converting it to stone tablets because you'll surely need to keep it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Kayako Amaya
Just tell Dr.Flay or UnrealGecko if you want to reactivate your old account or want it to be deleted.
I'm glad that you are fine (more or less). I hope you will get more involved again into doing things you like

And now I dream about a map from you for Food Fight ... just let me drool.

Jack!!!
The Bounce maps ...they fit the whole FF theme ...especially the chocolate witch map or was it dessert witch?
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Wrote this myself for XC_Engine's relevancy loop, it's 99% accurate to the game's original design.

Ignore EndOffset, it's a vector multiplier I use to modify the point to check visibility for inside a hitbox (so campers in high spots are replicated, for example), this is not present in the original code.

Code: Select all

static UBOOL ActorIsRelevant( AActor* Actor, APlayerPawn* Player, AActor* Viewer, const FVector& ViewPos, const FVector& EndOffset)
{
	if ( Actor->bAlwaysRelevant )
		return 1;
	if ( Actor->AmbientSound && ((ViewPos-Viewer->Location).SizeSquared() < Square(25.0f*Actor->SoundRadius)) )
		return 1;
	if ( Actor->Owner )
	{
		if ( Actor->IsOwnedBy(Viewer) )
			return 1;
		if ( Actor->Owner->bIsPawn && ((APawn*)Actor->Owner)->Weapon == Actor )
			return ActorIsRelevant( Actor->Owner, Player, Viewer, ViewPos, EndOffset);
	}
	if ( (Actor->bHidden || Actor->bOnlyOwnerSee) && !Actor->bBlockPlayers && !Actor->AmbientSound )
		return 0;
	FVector Dest( Actor->Location.X + EndOffset.X * Actor->CollisionRadius
				, Actor->Location.Y + EndOffset.Y * Actor->CollisionRadius
				, Actor->Location.Z + EndOffset.Z * Actor->CollisionHeight);
	FCheckResult Hit(1.0);
	return Viewer->XLevel->Model->LineCheck(Hit,NULL,ViewPos,Dest,FVector(0,0,0),NF_NotVisBlocking|NF_NotCsg);
}
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Higor wrote: Ignore EndOffset, it's a vector multiplier I use to modify the point to check visibility for inside a hitbox (so campers in high spots are replicated, for example), this is not present in the original code.
Does anyone else read that and go:

To reply:
"Oh sure Higor. I always ignore the EndOffset....pshh, I mean who doesn't? Excuse me while I go multiply some...um...vectors for....invisibility. I'll be in the hitbox if anyone needs me."
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I still like my idea, make everyone go into "say" until an event. hit talk key by mistake, pisses me off, can't move aaaarg.
Binary Space Partitioning
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

LOL Jack.

I'm like that in pretty much any UT coding or map making. :ironic:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Kayako Amaya
Novice

Post by Kayako Amaya »

JackGriffin wrote:I'm glad to see you Al, I hope everything is great my friend. I was a bit worried but I thought I'd give it to the weekend to see if you happened by. (Thank God I don't have to explain cinematics now)

Guys, when it comes to mapping you can take his advice and go ahead converting it to stone tablets because you'll surely need to keep it.
Haha, really, I'm nothing like the mapping guru you make me out to be. All I do is come up with projects that tend to be WAAAAY above my level of expertise, and somehow manage to make them anyway, against all odds.
In a way that moving one brush results in a hell of HOMs... Really, if the true experts like DavidM or Hourences would look at my work they would shoot themselves in despair. :lol:
papercoffee wrote:@ Kayako Amaya
Just tell Dr.Flay or UnrealGecko if you want to reactivate your old account or want it to be deleted.
Hmn, If there's a way to somehow "merge" them that would be awesome, but I am fine, this name more suits me anyway. And to remove the old account while it still
contains a fair number of useful posts would be sad.
papercoffee wrote: And now I dream about a map from you for Food Fight ... just let me drool.

Jack!!!
The Bounce maps ...they fit the whole FF theme ...especially the chocolate witch map or was it dessert witch?
"Realm of the Dessert witch" Or "DM-BCE_Charlotte" Yeah... A lot of people truly hate the layout of that one it seems. I'll have to make something with less gaps sometime.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Got sent a very nice camera tool which works a treat!

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... &view=next
Plus there is a demo map with it :tu:

What I'd like is a timed situation where the players cant move away from the trigger and thus get their screen back....they have to watch the scene for 10 seconds or so..

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Kayako Amaya wrote:...
Haha, really, I'm nothing like the mapping guru you make me out to be. All I do is come up with projects that tend to be WAAAAY above my level of expertise, and somehow manage to make them anyway, against all odds.
In a way that moving one brush results in a hell of HOMs... Really, if the true experts like DavidM or Hourences would look at my work they would shoot themselves in despair. :lol:
well don't sell yourself too short there :) i am quite blown away by your own work/visions ... HOMs are just a part of the shitty tech we use and we just deal with them as best we can --> even DM and Hour have HOMs in some of their maps (nice big one in CTF Tuesday) Anyways, seems to me you're a good enough mapper to realize the "visions" in your head, be that visual and/or game play and that's what makes great work --> the "visions" --> anyone can make a map, not too many can pull off convincing "visions" :)

Earlier this year I played through hundreds of MH maps (to get the MH picture in one big twitch, so to speak) and I also studied several of them in UED, including yours ;) i saw a lot of *bad* in MH maps, but didn't see anything i'd call *bad* in yours ... In fact, Alice, RoE and a few others blew me away and so have a spot in my keepers bin, I really enjoyed them and will continue to play them from time to time, when ever UT bug hits me :D

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

For those who haven't seen the Alice map

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5031

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Jack.....

Can I be ultra lazy.......

Can you give me a basic bullet point list of how to switch all players camera to a certain area for a set amount of time without them being able to quit it.

Picture this......a player presses a NUKE button.....all player cameras show a hatch in the roof opening for about 5-10 seconds before getting their screen back. That's all I want.

:ironic:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

It's never ultra lazy to ask for help. It's being smart and knowing you need some help. Never feel lesser for asking, instead it speaks to how smart you are.

A few years back I was working on an MH map called MH-HoldTheLine. Here's a link to the map package (unfinished):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8710177970
and here is a discussion from a few years ago about it:
https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3847&start=0

If you look at the map there is a central fort. In the fort is a room where you can approach screens and activate cannons that lob bombs around the outside walls of the fort. When you activate those, your view switches to an overhead shot of the entire area. You'll see the viewcamera actors in the map and how they work on a trigger. Using that code it won't be hard to iterate through all the playerpawns in the map and force their view to the camera for however long you trigger them. A couple of dispatchers will set up everything else.

Anyway take a look and play the map for a bit and you'll see the effect. If you have trouble transitioning from player view to camera and back through triggers and code just let me know and I'll help you. I'm around all week.

Anyone else that downloads this map is welcome to do whatever you want with it. I couldn't get the monsters to behave like I really wanted and if I ever redo this it will be done with some sort of bot subclass that I can properly adjust their AI to attack the base right. It works as-is, but it's not what I wanted. There's a neat super weapon built into the control room too if you want to steal that.

Pi my skype is agutgopostal. Feel free to chat me real time if you get stuck. If I'm here I'll answer.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Monsters can attack a point (player base) using let's say some Karmic things.
Tell to monster (actor in Mylevel): that player is enemy, hated, LastSeenpos = Player.Location, go to attack. And leave it to find player if paths are good using internal code which is better than any "guide". If is chicken, put a HomeBase in player base. So, if is insane will attack, if has fear will get closer at Home like when it's attacking too... I did such tests and works nice, doesn't matter if is or not afraid of player.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Thank you Jack......you are a real gentleman.

:rock:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Hey Jack

So I get how to add a trigger and point it to a camera (even and tag).

What I cant figure out is how to make it keep players view for say 10 seconds?

This is what I'm trying to achieve....

A player reaches a special place.

Thy press a button.
All players camera switch to a scene...picture a roof opening and cluster deemers falling or an NW3 nuke starting to launch...players cant back out of the camera scene.....

Then after 5-10 seconds they get their screen back.

Basically I want to show the players what is about to happen :)
In other words....you dead!

Where do I set the timer to lock to the camera? Or is it not quite so simple? :ironic:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!