[discussion] Upcoming New Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: [discussion] Upcoming New Mapping Contest

Post by sektor2111 »

Chamberly wrote:No precipitation generator to be used in the map. (An actor generator.. which can be used in any map but I also don't like these, these thing will spam the log like crazy and it can give you such error to view the log if it's too large and take a long time to download. Which is why I created a nodripspam actor but it doesn't stop everything else.)
For sure you can wrap those a bit and cap time of running map using a sort of actor to not have a heavy load. Those errors log can be removed if you look well in that MyLevels thread. I have fixed that precipitation generator and it's usable as long as you don't allow map to run 6 months... because even mapper can stop map running forever, you give a default 20 minutes and... "Level.Game.EndGame("Thanks for playing");".

Edit:
Is the same problem with "drip-spammer". Subclass a child class in MyLevel and add sanity check at code. You won't have any spam-log. I think coding section is not locked, anyone can ask questions there, right ? What's so threatening at those actors ?
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Nothing justifies an ever increasing amount of used memory in a idle game/server, period.
Since we're not allowed to clear memory from script (unless manually calling GC every X amount of time), we have to reutilize assets that are constantly being spammed.

Regarding the contest, we can focus on creativity and/or technical skills.
And the requirements are precisely what dictates this.
Last contest was almost entirely focused on technical skills, I'd rather see something more outdoor creativity based... it's been long since Creavion hasn't released a nice outdoor map and I think we desperately need something fresh in this department.
UTX
Skilled

Re: [Discussion] Upcoming New Mapping Contest.

Post by UTX »

All those terms I do not understand. :confused:
From what I have seen you can add anything to a map and that's what I like because I do not know yet how to make some things that belong to mapping but since I can add actors that means I can create whatever I want via code and then add that to a map and that's cool. That's the reason I would like a collaboration project as I am more of a coder that could create actors rather than a mapper.
But what I am getting is that this somehow makes the map create too much garbage, is that correct?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Red_Fist wrote:...(TDC) I think Neonight made the map we used. ...
no it was nahand that made the map :)

as i recall there were some very good maps from that contest and it was a one month time period
i think you made this freaky map that had a lot of meshes, water and polished wooden floors...

i made a ctf map (which was okayed by nahand) but i never finished on time - years later released it as
CTF-FNB-TDC-2374 ...

------------------------

As for this contest, i think a straight up 1 month contest with 1 map per mapper, any size, one of the standard game types.

As suggested already, should include some terrain with the following rules:

The map can be terrain-based (i.e. with buildings or structures on the surface)
or - can be a cave/cavern or tunnels
or - can be for example a base or building that has windows or view that shows
terrain brushes outside but not necessarily accessible to players (i.e. as deco)
(no it can't just be in a skybox!!!)

As for theme, urban/industrial, with everyone to use the same (contest) custom texture packs, as
well as the stock ut99 textures. Custom graphic for the contest to be included in MyLevel
(maybe another nice one from paperCoffee)

As for the custom textures, I would suggest a combination of a few of these: (not to be included in MyLevel)
TO-Rig2_4UP.utx
UTTech4.utx
HourPitores_UT.utx
HourKraden_UT.utx
HourIndusX_UT.utx

Meshes could be allowed in MyLevel - This is encourage trees, plants, rocks, etc, or other deco
details into the maps. What do you think?

There are some mesh packs around we could use for this...

Theme notes - this a WIDE pallette !!! You could make almost anything, but these assets let you
make something that differs as much as you want from the regular (and very boring nowadays) UT99
look and feel...

see samples of the textures attached
2015 contest texture pack Image1.jpg
2015 contest texture pack Image2 .jpg
2015 contest texture pack Image3 .jpg
2015 contest texture pack Image4 .jpg
2015 contest texture pack Image5 .jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Awesome.
If we're going for a theme, we could select the package or hand select textures for said theme and pack them up for contest specific usage.

- Environment:
Lava, snow, clouds, special effects, affected walls and grounds (like, burnt skaarj walls, etc).
- Urban:
Buildings, windows, street, clouds, vehicle.
- Tech:
Lots of animated tex, panels, laser, light focus, pipelines and wires, color/style variations of existing textures.
- Nature:
Caves, terrain, treelines, rocks, wooden structures.

Now, to prevent disorientation and other shenanigans there should be a small period of time where resources are presented (before the contest starts and the final content rules are announced), and then packed up.
I bet mappers/coders have huge amount of resources that can make it into a common pack (or packs).
The trick to putting all that together is simpler than you think...

Outdoor resources used on OutworldHold and DowntownBeta, contain lots of textures as well.
We can also dig some resources from other outdoor maps too, it doesn't all have to be about textures and extra decorations always come handy.
And that's not counting all the 'standard models with different textures mojo', which allow you to create unique decorations using existing resources.

EDIT:
Small preview, now imagine we dig up 20 times as many decorations...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UTX wrote:
But what I am getting is that this somehow makes the map create too much garbage, is that correct?
YES, and these can be recycled or stopped after a period of time by ending map at 15-20 minutes from INSIDE Level not from Server - what a big deal.
Higor wrote:Regarding the contest, we can focus on creativity and/or technical skills.
Ayeee, I really wanna see some pathing skills... and how to do 10 JumpSpot linked with 1 LiftExit creating an almost useless Network with endlines going nowhere, oh yeah... Some Pathnodes in air also would be priceless...
Okay end of jokes, I did not see these done properly and they are are a piece of cake and you speak about other tricks/skill? Have you seen that zone a la WhoPushedMe ? That's already coding-mapping and it was truly great until that sh!t Titan ruining everything - some LULU would be necessary to not have a perfect work - that's some technical skill which I did not see in 512k contest except Chamberly's Levels (with tiny help)... Eh, I'll keep on eye an this thread/subject because at a moment it might be funny. AT textures I'm interested to see which "materials" are going to be used (I expect Made In China) :mrgreen: Good, ignore me, keep moving :thuup: .
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I don't think limiting resources should be used for a contest.

It should be based on a contest idea but without restrictions in how it works, or looks.

I like some kind of prefab idea with the default texture, and let people tear into it and see what happens (including ANY, gametype). After the map is made, draw a cube around it for a boundary so you can add stuff up to that point.

Dunno, just thinking out loud.
Binary Space Partitioning
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

How about MH Mapping contest??
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

sektor2111 wrote:
Higor wrote:Regarding the contest, we can focus on creativity and/or technical skills.
Ayeee, I really wanna see some pathing skills... and how to do 10 JumpSpot linked with 1 LiftExit creating an almost useless Network with endlines going nowhere, oh yeah... Some Pathnodes in air also would be priceless...
Okay end of jokes, I did not see these done properly and they are are a piece of cake and you speak about other tricks/skill? Have you seen that zone a la WhoPushedMe ? That's already coding-mapping and it was truly great until that sh!t Titan ruining everything - some LULU would be necessary to not have a perfect work - that's some technical skill which I did not see in 512k contest except Chamberly's Levels (with tiny help)... Eh, I'll keep on eye an this thread/subject because at a moment it might be funny. AT textures I'm interested to see which "materials" are going to be used (I expect Made In China) :mrgreen: Good, ignore me, keep moving :thuup: .
Something like this I wanna see.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

If we are going for outdoor maps ...I would recreate my Northern Lights map with better bases and better terrain.
I would like to use meshes where ever I can ...But the lighting on meshes is sooooo ugly. :|

Edit------------------------------------------------

Sooooooooooooooooooo ... who'll organize this contest now?
The staff should start collect the ideas and start a vote thread. :wink:
Last edited by papercoffee on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Hm, I must focus on my own project, but I hope you all have fun mapping new stuff!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

I downloaded some Unreal maps modified for Unreal Tournament and I like them, I also saw a video of the Face map in beta version and I thought it as cool. That's what I want to see more in maps, the old school stuff. I rarely ever see Enforcers or magazines inside maps and those Unreal maps have those and even single flak shells lying around along with sniper rounds, that is neat. I get the Enforcer is not the strongest weapon but with so many weapon packs put there that replace it, it could be worth adding it to map, and I personally do like the Enforcer so seeing it inside maps feels good.
That's what I was talking about when I said we should think outside the box, there are so many things to do in maps.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

There are some nature resources already submitted here
Nature pack
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2301
(UT) Grass and Foliage Plants Texture Pack
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69

I am glad to see another vote for Chaos :rock:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Staff ...organize something or this forum turns into a coder paradise only

:mrgreen:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

You say that like it's a bad thing :loool:

Seriously, get this done. Interest is starting to wane quite badly across the board.
So long, and thanks for all the fish